What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Yow

Juniors
Surely Creaghs job is to provide advice from a footballing perspective to those sales managers in charge or is he just a number?
How do we know he isnt i am just saying its not his job to tell the media who would only twist the story around for their own agenda.

jodragon40

Juniors
Well Ben Hunt has gone all in in support of Hook again today.
It can’t just be because they are both from Rockhampton ? or because Hook won’t make him no 9 ?
Surely not?
Hunt and Griffin go all the way back to Broncos U20 days so there is plenty of history there and being the cpt there is no real surprise in his support for the coach

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Pretty obvious that Hook is on borrowed time as HC of the Dragons.

He does himself no favours when he publicly makes gaffs.

For example:
The presser when we beat the Phins, he states thta Liddle is performing better than Mbye at hooker.
Liddle played 49 mins, Mbye 31 mins. We win the game pretty well.

Fast forward just 1 week. Liddle plays 34 mins, Mbye 46 mins.

To be fair looking at the tackles made v's tackles missed in those 2 games:
V the Phins:
Liddle - 25 tackles missed 3. Mbye 13 tackles missed 2
V the Titans:
Liddle - 24 tackles missed 1 (4 ineffective). Mbye 19 tackles 0 missed.

Griffin may see Mbye as a preferred defensive hooker type. However, there's a balance between attack and defense. When we needed to really put the game away on Sunday, ie a more structured attack, he left Mbye on who was getting gassed. IN reality Liddle isnt a bad defensive hooker also, but streets ahead in attacking nous and crisper passing.

I'm not going to touch on the obviously failed experiment with swapping Lomax and Suli, that's also an obvious 'stubborn" change he's made. It follows the equally stubborn move of Kerr to the edge, which almost killed off his career.

If BHunt is ruling the roost in regards to who plays where, then why is Griffin even in the job? In my viewe, Hunt has eyes only on winning that elusive Dally M. He knows he can't win it from hooker, add to the fact that he know's Bud is a more dynamic half than Amone, who will command the ball, taking away his "possessions". Don't get me wrong, Hunt is basically holding the team together with his performances and kudos to him, however, I've stated before, certain players need to be moved on for the greater good of the team.

Apparently, Griffin has 5 games to turn this around, in my view, persisting with what I've mentioned above, I can't see us winning many of those required Coach saving games, even the Tigpies put up a brave fight in their loss to the Eels, so that now becomes a 50/50 proposition.

I will be anxiously waiting today's team list, given Frankie suspended, and Bud playing a starring role in KOE Cup last Saturday.

Strategy or Stubbornness, which Griffin will we see today?

Parko1310

Juniors

For example:
The presser when we beat the Phins, he states thta Liddle is performing better than Mbye at hooker.

V the Phins:
V the Titans:

Griffin may see Mbye as a preferred defensive hooker type. However, there's a balance between attack and defense. When we needed to really put the game away on Sunday, ie a more structured attack, he left Mbye on who was getting gassed. IN reality Liddle isnt a bad defensive hooker also, but streets ahead in attacking nous and crisper passing.

I'm not going to touch on the obviously failed experiment with swapping Lomax and Suli, that's also an obvious 'stubborn" change he's made. It follows the equally stubborn move of Kerr to the edge, which almost killed off his career.

If BHunt is ruling the roost in regards to who plays where, then why is Griffin even in the job? In my viewe, Hunt has eyes only on winning that elusive Dally M. He knows he can't win it from hooker, add to the fact that he know's Bud is a more dynamic half than Amone, who will command the ball, taking away his "possessions". Don't get me wrong, Hunt is basically holding the team together with his performances and kudos to him, however, I've stated before, certain players need to be moved on for the greater good of the team.

Apparently, Griffin has 5 games to turn this around, in my view, persisting with what I've mentioned above, I can't see us winning many of those required Coach saving games, even the Tigpies put up a brave fight in their loss to the Eels, so that now becomes a 50/50 proposition.

I will be anxiously waiting today's team list, given Frankie suspended, and Bud playing a starring role in KOE Cup last Saturday.

We'll see stubbornness. If Musgrove is right to go, he'll play since Molo is out. Amone will be named at 6, with Sullivan in the reserves. The only possible changes I'm seeing is potentially hook deciding to start Mbye again, and I have a suspicion BMM could be dropped, with Bird moving to the edge.

BLM01

First Grade

For example:

V the Phins:
V the Titans:

Well put mostly
Disagree re Hunt concerned about Dally M and picking the side which is an unfair guess,
Amone needs more game time but he is clunky and slow ATM
There are reasons Sullo got dropped but as I said before he will be back sooner than later
BMM needs to go IMO - not affective as I thought

Bottom line we were all over the Titans and should of put them well and truly on the back foot by halftime with 3 botched tries
The middle defended well including Mybe except for the 40th minute lazy effort

we were the better side which is a positive but we blew it
Agree Liddle should of come back earlier
Happy to keep the centre experiment for a few more weeks yet as too early to throw it out
Suli looked strong and us well
The problem is the left side attack from the middle to edge is way out of sync

they did not cover Sami well enough with his right foot step
They should have been all over it in pre game snd covered it. He and Campbell was their only decent players

the ref caned us in the last 20 and we could not buy a decision our way.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Kenty is clueless especially saying Jack Gibson can't help them. Apparently Hook can save the club by keeping him on but one of the best coaches in our history would fail. Is he suggesting Hook is better than Jack Gibson?

Wayne built a team from scratch to win more games than Saints this season, Sharks improved when Fitzy took over and what about Webster? All I can see is the longer Hook is around the worse it will get.

If Saints do announce a new coach for next year and keep Hook for the remainder of 2023, that will also help recruitment 1000%. Current Saints players will be on their toes and perform or be out and the new caoch can look who to bring in fulltime without the weekly grind of coaching whilst Hook helps Saints avoid a spoon. It's harder to recruit whilst Hook is still in contention for 2024. Why would someone come to Saints and play boring footy under Hook with no chance of Finals. Under another coach there is a better chance they might play finals but better still play a better style and be in a better system than what they are in now.

There is no clause for Hunt to leave with Hook so not sure what his threats are about. I think because that alone Saints need to go for Hasler now as he will not put up with Hunt if he sooks when Hook is gone. A rookie will have Hunt to battle with by the looks of things which could be similar to a Bronco's set up when Seibold came in and there were 2 camps and the Bennett half of the group gave him no chance.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Kenty is clueless especially saying Jack Gibson can't help them. Apparently Hook can save the club by keeping him on but one of the best coaches in our history would fail. Is he suggesting Hook is better than Jack Gibson?

Wayne built a team from scratch to win more games than Saints this season, Sharks improved when Fitzy took over and what about Webster? All I can see is the longer Hook is around the worse it will get.

If Saints do announce a new coach for next year and keep Hook for the remainder of 2023, that will also help recruitment 1000%. Current Saints players will be on their toes and perform or be out and the new caoch can look who to bring in fulltime without the weekly grind of coaching whilst Hook helps Saints avoid a spoon. It's harder to recruit whilst Hook is still in contention for 2024. Why would someone come to Saints and play boring footy under Hook with no chance of Finals. Under another coach there is a better chance they might play finals but better still play a better style and be in a better system than what they are in now.

There is no clause for Hunt to leave with Hook so not sure what his threats are about. I think because that alone Saints need to go for Hasler now as he will not put up with Hunt if he sooks when Hook is gone. A rookie will have Hunt to battle with by the looks of things which could be similar to a Bronco's set up when Seibold came in and there were 2 camps and the Bennett half of the group gave him no chance.
That just makes too much sense Slippery & I 100% agree with your post.

Dragon David

First Grade
But apparently Musgrove comes in after an "enormous effort" against the Bears.

If only Bud had put in an enormous efforts against the Bears too.
To Hook enormous effort is not rewarded. It's how you kowtow to him that gets you in his team and saying things like ' Hook is such a great coach. He has taught me so much and I would be really upset if he wasn't with us next year. If he goes, then I'm going too. He is the best!"

Latest posts