What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Dea

Juniors
Hook is doing his own thing and his management of the bench [how he plays Kerr, giving MBye more minutes than Liddell] plus his team selections [Sullivan proves his worth whlle Amone shows his game is off last weekend, plus the selection of Moga as our slowest available winger] is proving he needs to be released. [on top of the failure to improve the team over the last 2 years]

Parko1310

Juniors
Incredibly, Ben Hunt has said neither he or any of the playing group have been consulted yet. My god this board is incompetent. How hard is it to leave the office and go have a chat to some of the players actually playing under the bloke and gauge their opinions? Or even call them into the office so these supposed leaders don't have to get off their arse. Absolutely useless management.

justadragon

Bench
Hunt putting more pressure on the club by saying, he is not keen to start again if Hook goes. Since when has it become the right thing to do for a player to hold a club to ransom or determine the best way forward for the club. Hooks head was on the chopping block the day he took over, and he knew that. His KPI's were get the defense and discipline in order. Nothing has happened over nearly 3 seasons, and in some cases we have got worse. Please tell me what the club is supposed to do, and if you were any sort of a captain and team man you would be backing what is best for the club and especially the team, not in the best interests for yourself.

Parko1310

Juniors
I understand Hunt's point of view as he doesn't want to walk away from the game without a premiership. But even if we kept Griffin, and recruited smart over the next year or so, our earliest possible shot at going anywhere near it is in 2025, likely Hunt's last year, meaning he's got a one year window for a shot at it. Now, this is in a perfect world and of course no one here really thinks we'll be winning by 2025 anyway. If he wants a premiership, good on him, he deserves one, but he may have to leave to get it unfortunately.

Illusion

Bench
I understand Hunt's point of view as he doesn't want to walk away from the game without a premiership. But even if we kept Griffin, and recruited smart over the next year or so, our earliest possible shot at going anywhere near it is in 2025, likely Hunt's last year, meaning he's got a one year window for a shot at it. Now, this is in a perfect world and of course no one here really thinks we'll be winning by 2025 anyway. If he wants a premiership, good on him, he deserves one, but he may have to leave to get it unfortunately.
Hunt ain't winning sh*t with Hook there , he needs to get over it ......

justadragon

Bench
Even Hunt couldn't be that stupid to think that we were a likely premiership chance this year and next. And if he wants to get a premiership, I cant see the panthers roosters storm looking for a 34 year old half back, who should really be a hooker on a million bucks a year.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Hunt wants to win a comp it's simple. Tell Hook to put him at 9. Put Max on the wing and let Bud/Amone and Sloan do their thing. More chance of winning a comp than what has been done last 2 years.

Hunt running the show has got us no where and it never will get them anywhere under this current system. Best we got was when Widdop partnered him under Mary.

Dolphins were not that keen on him for their big dollar marque signing. Dogs only had a sniff to try and get the real prize in Bud. Only team that may have a crack is Tigers if he sooks and leaves. I think he tried threatening to not resign unless they put a clause in his contract that he can leave if Hook goes and Saints declined so he should have known from then that Hook was on his last legs and should have not re-signed rather than put these damn threats on the board to keep Hook.

randomdragon

Juniors
Incredibly, Ben Hunt has said neither he or any of the playing group have been consulted yet. My god this board is incompetent. How hard is it to leave the office and go have a chat to some of the players actually playing under the bloke and gauge their opinions? Or even call them into the office so these supposed leaders don't have to get off their arse. Absolutely useless management.
Oh cmon mate. It’s well known Sullivan Sloan and sua have all said they don’t like hook. And why should a playing group be consulted? They’re employees of the club they get coached by who they’re told not who they want.

Saint52

Juniors
News.com
Today

Dragons coach axing is just too painful to watch

The drawn-out sacking of Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has become too painful to watch - and we should have seen it coming from day one.

COMMENT

The drawn-out sacking of Anthony Griffin continues like the pummelling of a punch-drunk middleweight in 4K slow-motion.

The embattled coach’s job security now fluctuates with every knock-on, every stoppage and every board meeting, with the situation now becoming so protracted its almost Tantric.

Much like that meditative form of pleasure where the end goal is not completion but the journey, Griffin’s final months at the Dragons look destined to be filled with emotion and uncomfortable positions (11th to 15th) before ending with shame and no eye contact.

The weekend’s loss to the Gold Coast was the latest whistlestop on his indeterminate farewell tour, with his side resuming business as usual after an encouraging win against the Dolphins by missing 48 tackles against a Titans attack that would barely blow the froth off a lime spider.

Amid news of an impending board meeting next Tuesday and the knowledge he needs to reapply for his job next year, Griffin’s Mondays are now like a casual checking the roster at a salmonella-infested Subway.

This slow-cooked uncoupling began in March when the Dragons announced his role was up for grabs when his deal expires in 2024, thus issuing the 56-year-old a notice period that could end anytime between tomorrow and next Autumn.

The playing group has exhibited scant signs of life since, leaving the former Broncos coach 5000/1 to be retained- and drifting.

Nevertheless, it’s hardly surprising the relationship is ending this way - especially to embittered Dragons fans.

Whether soothsaying or just negatively conditioned from failure, Griffin’s signing was never fully embraced by the diehards, and still isn’t.

While not as maligned as the Corey Norman deal, many of the faithful believed it was always destined to end in a blizzard of tears and average first-graders playing years past their used-by dates.

Not only did the coach lack the gravitas of the ‘big name’ their club deserved as one of the game’s loftiest brands, his two-year deal felt tentative and reeked of a premature payout.

When Griffin was only able to lift the Dragons from 12th to 11th in his first season, fans feared the worst.

As for the club itself, it acknowledged their concerns and extended his deal.

Griffin’s tenure has been compounded by various controversies including the

Paul Vaughan Covid barbecue and the criminal cases of Jack de Belin and Tautau Amone, and more recently, the revelation from Moses Suli that he didn’t want to be there, all of which Dragons fans deal with by blaming Ben Hunt.

But most sadly, it’s the average nature of the Dragons existence that pains fans the most.

2023 looks set to be another campaign of quiet mediocrity, a disaster that isn’t serious enough to warrant the kind of scrutiny that occurs when a club prints American soldiers on its ANZAC jersey.

If anything, Dragons fans probably welcome a break-up, that makes the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard split look like a microwaved dinner, if only to feel something.

Parko1310

Juniors
Guess your more a wighton fan ay
I just don't think Luai brings much on his own without an experienced or controlling half around him. You can look at the world cup and say he had a great tournament, but international footy is slower and of much worse quality than the NRL. Every time Cleary has been out in the NRL, Luai has struggled. I think Wighton's the better player of those two, but I also don't think we need to go searching for a half either. Hunt has no get out clause, why let him leave? I think we also need to focus on recruiting in the forwards more so than the halves. If Hunt was moved to hooker though in 24/25, Liddle off the bench, Sullivan at half, then I'd be happy to have Wighton at six if we could somehow fit him in.

Parko1310

Juniors
Oh cmon mate. It’s well known Sullivan Sloan and sua have all said they don’t like hook. And why should a playing group be consulted? They’re employees of the club they get coached by who they’re told not who they want.
Yes that's true, but who they want has a direct correlation to their performance. To not even ask the players their opinion is inept from the board, they are key in all of this. I can't fathom you honestly believe the board is going okay?