What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I found this rather interesting:

After 12 rounds
Dragons - 6/6. Currently 9th
Games v teams currently in the 8:
6 for 1 win (Roosters), 5 loses (Eels, Panthers, Sharks, Rabbits & Storm), yet to pkay Cowboys and Broncos.

Rabbits - 6/6 currently 8th
5 for 1 win (Roosters), 4 loses (Broncos x2, Storm & Panthers), yet to play Cowboys, Sharks & Eels

Sharks - 7/5 currently 7th
4 for 1 win (Eels), 3 loses (Storm, Broncos, Roosters), yet to play Panthers, Cowboys & Rabbits

Some analysing sees teams above us with an easier opening 12 round draw, lets see what happens from here.
Us and the Bunnies have seven games v top 8 teams remaining where as the Sharks only have 4 by my math (how good is there draw!)

We will have to beat them in round 15 and at least one other top 8 team to make finals as well as not drop any games to the fellow bottom 8 sides I reckon.

Dragon David

First Grade
Us and the Bunnies have seven games v top 8 teams remaining where as the Sharks only have 4 by my math (how good is there draw!)

We will have to beat them in round 15 and at least one other top 8 team to make finals as well as not drop any games to the fellow bottom 8 sides I reckon.
Lucky Sharks. The job ahead for us will not be easy. We play the Cowboys, Raiders and Broncos twice and the best for us will be winning 3 of those games as I can envisage each one of the 3 will win a game against us. We have the Rabbitohs again, Roosters, Sea Eagles, Sharks, Titans and Tigers and out of these 6 games, again I see us winning maybe 3 games.

So a total of 6 more wins plus a bye on top of the 12 points we already have gives us a total of 26 points - which could get us into the top 8.

Go Griffin and get those whips cracking for the guys to lift and get us home. We have to do it this year.

Dragon David

First Grade
I have no doubt that the Dragons will engage one of their favourite sons Dean Young to be the Head Coach of the club - I'd say in 2024.

He appears to be doing a very good job assisting Todd Payten at the Cowboys and having all of this year and 2023 at that club will hold him in good stead for us. He just needs this "outside" experience to realise his potential and abilities.

He is also going to be the Head Coach of the Tongan team to play in the test match against New Zealand on June 25 as Kristian Woolf cannot get over to Mt Smart Stadium as he has his commitments with St Helens. So Wayne Bennett has agreed to assist Dean in this test alongside Tongan great Sika Manu. Both Woolf and Bennett have high praise for Young.

The other thing could happen is that Dean could line up a few big Tongan boppers to join the club when that time comes.

Mojo

Bench
I watched the interview. As always Griffin comes across as a nice guy with a patient attitude towards coaching and progressing the team. Probably too patient.

He gave some very unconvincing responses regarding the team in regards to recruitment and development . Kent asked him about what the future dragons looked like once all has progressed as planned and it completely stumped him.

Griffin feels we are not far off the top 4 teams. That reminds me of the last coach. Complete delusion.

Still feel we are on a road to nowhere and results reflect it. If we make the 8 I'll eat my words up.
16 teams so finishing 8th means you're average, which in the NRL comp is the same as not good enough.

thebigredv

First Grade
16 teams so finishing 8th means you're average, which in the NRL comp is the same as not good enough.

Yep, fair. At the beginning of the year I said I think if we play finals it will be a pass mark for the season. While I stand by that it's more about what comes after this year, and I am yet to be convinced our future in terms of youngsters and recruitment is looking well managed. We are halfway through another season. That's a concern.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I have no doubt that the Dragons will engage one of their favourite sons Dean Young to be the Head Coach of the club - I'd say in 2024.

He appears to be doing a very good job assisting Todd Payten at the Cowboys and having all of this year and 2023 at that club will hold him in good stead for us. He just needs this "outside" experience to realise his potential and abilities.

He is also going to be the Head Coach of the Tongan team to play in the test match against New Zealand on June 25 as Kristian Woolf cannot get over to Mt Smart Stadium as he has his commitments with St Helens. So Wayne Bennett has agreed to assist Dean in this test alongside Tongan great Sika Manu. Both Woolf and Bennett have high praise for Young.

The other thing could happen is that Dean could line up a few big Tongan boppers to join the club when that time comes.

I'd like to think when Hook's tenure with the club comes to an end we would have either won a premiership or be in a position to challenge for one. The coach that succeeds Hook would hopefully then be an experienced coach who could the polish on the side and help us win a comp, the same way the Broncos made the grand final post hook when Bennett returned as coach and the Panthers post hook when cleary returned.

Hook's legacy so far as a coach is that the teams he coaches end up becoming a runner up or premier within the next couple of seasons.

If we're appointing a rookie old boy coach post Hook that will mean we're going nowhere fast in my opinion.

George Sancti

Juniors

You may be correct Dragon Dave in that Dean Young will return in 2024 a much better coach than what he demonstrated in a caretaker capacity back in 2020. However, an excellent assistant coach does not automatically translate to a very good head coach.

I would also expect that the club will be very careful when appointing former players as head coach in the future and will want to see good results produced as a head coach at another club first. I hope the club is monitoring Craig Fitzgibbon, and if he continues to improve throughout 2022 and early 2023, then he may be targeted.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
You may be correct Dragon Dave in that Dean Young will return in 2024 a much better coach than what he demonstrated in a caretaker capacity back in 2020. However, an excellent assistant coach does not automatically translate to a very good head coach.

I would also expect that the club will be very careful when appointing former players as head coach in the future and will want to see good results produced as a head coach at another club first. I hope the club is monitoring Craig Fitzgibbon, and if he continues to improve throughout 2022 and early 2023, then he may be targeted.
Craig Young was a much better player than is son Dean, but was a useless coach. I'd like to lock in coaching staff now to avoid another round of 'job for the boys' Dean Young being handed the job.

Dragon David

First Grade

I see your point George. I know that there is a massive difference between being a good assistant to being a head coach. I suppose any assistant can be a head coach, good, bad or indifferent and we have seen many who just don't cut the mustard. Dean's genes may not be the type to excel at coaching like his Dad.

Anyway, I just thought that I'd put it up there seeing that he seems to be held in good esteem by his former premiership winning coach and the St Helens' coach for being selected as the head coach for Tonga.

George Sancti

Juniors
Craig Young was a much better player than is son Dean, but was a useless coach. I'd like to lock in coaching staff now to avoid another round of 'job for the boys' Dean Young being handed the job.
Although Anthony Griffin has not been the overwhelming success we had hoped for, I do believe he is an improvement on the previous two head coaches. I also expect that the club has learnt from past mistakes.

I am comfortable with the club planning for, and negotiating terms with the next head coach to be appointed, provided there is a reasonable probability that he will be a significant improvement on the incumbent. If this is the case, then it is likely that a top line coach will not be available until 2024.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Although Anthony Griffin has not been the overwhelming success we had hoped for, I do believe he is an improvement on the previous two head coaches. I also expect that the club has learnt from past mistakes.

I am comfortable with the club planning for, and negotiating terms with the next head coach to be appointed, provided there is a reasonable probability that he will be a significant improvement on the incumbent. If this is the case, then it is likely that a top line coach will not be available until 2024.

Agree with this. I have been critical of Hook, and don't get me started on his allegiance to particular players..., but I am not in the 'hook hook' camp. The main reason is we have to have someone who is clearly superior on the market and realistically that would mostly include one of the super coaches already tied up elsewhere.

Much was made when Gould sacked Griffin when he had the Panthers in the top 4 at the time. It was an astute and somewhat ballsy decision, and in hindsight an absolute masterstroke. Not sure we have anyone in management with the same nous and courage to make a call. Just hope we put ourselves in a position to pounce when it is time.

I know Brad Fittler has been linked with Dogs. Should we be sniffing around. I am not a huge Fittler fan but boy would he bring some pulling power! We haven't had that since Bennett.

possm

Coach
Agree with this. I have been critical of Hook, and don't get me started on his allegiance to particular players..., but I am not in the 'hook hook' camp. The main reason is we have to have someone who is clearly superior on the market and realistically that would mostly include one of the super coaches already tied up elsewhere.

Much was made when Gould sacked Griffin when he had the Panthers in the top 4 at the time. It was an astute and somewhat ballsy decision, and in hindsight an absolute masterstroke. Not sure we have anyone in management with the same nous and courage to make a call. Just hope we put ourselves in a position to pounce when it is time.

I know Brad Fittler has been linked with Dogs. Should we be sniffing around. I am not a huge Fittler fan but boy would he bring some pulling power! We haven't had that since Bennett.
Failing to sack our coaching staff now, will only lead to creating an opportunity for Dean Young and his preferred assistants to take over in 2024.

Flannigan and Barrett are available now (head coach and assistant coach in attack) and Brown will soon be looking for a job after the Warriors push him out the door (assistant in defense).

Now is the time to move so that we do not waste the opportunity to set up for 2023.

Mojo

Bench
How quickly we forget. Hook’s longer term strategy has obviously been to bring in some experienced, level-headed players so that the rabid club culture could be rectified at the same time as the young guys could be sensibly managed into first grade. His resume has a theme of bringing teams up to speed before being elbowed out. I think he’s done good things, the important foundational things that have been ignored in the past. I hope Saints turn out to be the club that backs him to the point where he reaps the rewards of his hard work. That having been said, crikeys it’s hard watching this transition when it’s applied at the coalface. I‘m seeing very incremental improvement. I expect 2023 to be when we see the benefits start to come to the fore.

Last edited:

Draginzaaar

Bench

It wasn't a masterstroke because of Gus. He sacked Hook because he wanted Bennett.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Failing to sack our coaching staff now, will only lead to creating an opportunity for Dean Young and his preferred assistants to take over in 2024.

Flannigan and Barrett are available now (head coach and assistant coach in attack) and Brown will soon be looking for a job after the Warriors push him out the door (assistant in defense).

Now is the time to move so that we do not waste the opportunity to set up for 2023.
You are kidding yeah? Barrett and Brown?

Trifili13

Juniors
You are kidding yeah? Barrett and Brown?
People calling for Barrett as assistant coach. While head and assistant coach are obviously different roles, how much influence did Barrett actually have at Penrith for some on the forum to be calling for him to be appointed as the Dragon's attack coach. He is a failed first grade coach and Penrith seem to be going just as well if not better without him there the past season and a half. I can almost guarantee if he joins the Dragon's and our attack stays the same there will be calls straight away of why did we appoint another oldboy, he is from the illawarra side, and to sack him by forum members.

George Sancti

Juniors
You make a very good point Trifili13. The apparent success of assistant coaches may be more due to the skills and influence of the head coach than their own ability.

Latest posts