What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Dragon David

First Grade
This is the problem , as you say "Hook should have given him more chances to redeem himself." This is Hooks biggest problem IMO ...... So its ok for the seasoned players to make mistakes week in week out and none are targeted or dropped ...... But soon as the young guys don't play well instead encouraging them to step up next game he knocks the stuffing out of them by dropping them and you don't see them again ...... Its all about Hook making the 8 to justify His extension , and that is not going great with the young guys or without them ..... The Pressers after a loss say it all , Hook and Hunt look so lost with no idea how to make it work ......
You know Illusion, I know that this is another sack coach thread and it has been going on for Hook since Feb 2021 - before the comp started that year. Looking back at several of the posts back then and progressing along, much of the stuff we posted is the same as now more or less.

Not all posters were against Hook coaching us and those same posters still have some faith in him to get us out of this mess. I was one of those for a time but not now.

My real beef is with the Board and Webb for extending his contract for a year on the basis of
“The board and I feel Anthony is the right man to continue setting the required standards to return the Dragons back to where they belong.” as said by Ryan Webb in Feb 2022 in the Foxsports News as follows:-

Although I do have this issue with the Board and Webb, I have this little thought in my head that his extension is based on the availability of some other "assistants" or coaches being off contract at the end of 2023 and one of those will be targeted. Hook's extension will fill in the gap until then. Who they will go for is anyone's guess.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
You know Illusion, I know that this is another sack coach thread and it has been going on for Hook since Feb 2021 - before the comp started that year. Looking back at several of the posts back then and progressing along, much of the stuff we posted is the same as now more or less.

Not all posters were against Hook coaching us and those same posters still have some faith in him to get us out of this mess. I was one of those for a time but not now.

My real beef is with the Board and Webb for extending his contract for a year on the basis of
“The board and I feel Anthony is the right man to continue setting the required standards to return the Dragons back to where they belong.” as said by Ryan Webb in Feb 2022 in the Foxsports News as follows:-

Although I do have this issue with the Board and Webb, I have this little thought in my head that his extension is based on the availability of some other "assistants" or coaches being off contract at the end of 2023 and one of those will be targeted. Hook's extension will fill in the gap until then. Who they will go for is anyone's guess.
Hope you are right! We live in hope!

blacksafake

First Grade
I think Sloan is a player brimming with potential who is being destroyed by Griffin’s coaching.
You are right he is stacked with potential but potential is only a part of having success in the NRL.
Hard work as well as being willing to constantly put your body on the line are just as important.
So far he has not shown this with some sub par performances in KOE.
Hopefully he does come good because there's no doubt hes a real talent & appears to be a fine you bloke as well.
History would likely show that those who are prepared to do this will tend to have a longer career in the NRL compared to potential alone.

True_Believer

Juniors
If he thinks that their culture is a distraction that’d be a pretty quick way to lose them.
So you are saying this refers to the young Australian indigenous players only though because he can't tailor his coaching specifically to cater for them? Excluding Reuben and Bird of course because they are older. And only Australian indigenous players and not other cultures across the region?

SBD82

Coach
So you are saying this refers to the young Australian indigenous players only though because he can't tailor his coaching specifically to cater for them? Excluding Reuben and Bird of course because they are older. And only Australian indigenous players and not other cultures across the region?
He hasn’t expressed any views (that I’m aware of) about other cultures around the region. Not sure why you keep bringing them up?

But he has expressed views on indigenous Australia that might be challenging for some indigenous Australians. Certainly seemed to be challenging for Tingha, Presto and Thommo.

And I’m saying that this might effect some indigenous players in ways that it doesn’t effect others. Because despite being from a similar background, people do not have exactly the same values, resilience or expectations.

If Hook shares your inability to make that distinction, he’s probably not going to be able to coach or develop any player that doesn’t fall into a narrow idea of what makes an NRL player.

True_Believer

Juniors
He hasn’t expressed any views (that I’m aware of) about other cultures around the region. Not sure why you keep bringing them up?

But he has expressed views on indigenous Australia that might be challenging for some indigenous Australians. Certainly seemed to be challenging for Tingha, Presto and Thommo.

And I’m saying that this might effect some indigenous players in ways that it doesn’t effect others. Because despite being from a similar background, people do not have exactly the same values, resilience or expectations.

If Hook shares your inability to make that distinction, he’s probably not going to be able to coach or develop any player that doesn’t fall into a narrow idea of what makes an NRL player.
He's "liked" a post from someone else that questions the politicisation of certain nrl games. And somehow you are linking that back to specifically 2 players that you feel should be running around in first grade and this, to you, translates to his inability to tailor his coaching to suit them and that he's insensitive to their culture. Not withstanding that he has had the both of them in the team last year and this year. Maybe, just maybe, they aren't good enough to be running around in first grade yet.

BUT, let's dredge up the past because you feel they should be in the team. Good one.

SBD82

Coach
He's "liked" a post from someone else that questions the politicisation of certain nrl games. And somehow you are linking that back to specifically 2 players that you feel should be running around in first grade and this, to you, translates to his inability to tailor his coaching to suit them and that he's insensitive to their culture. Not withstanding that he has had the both of them in the team last year and this year. Maybe, just maybe, they aren't good enough to be running around in first grade yet.

BUT, let's dredge up the past because you feel they should be in the team. Good one.
Maybe they aren’t good enough yet.

If you were to guess, why would you say that is?

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
He's "liked" a post from someone else that questions the politicisation of certain nrl games.
This is minimising it a tad. He seemed to almost exclusively "like" hard right and racist tweets, including the likes of Pauline Hanson and Mark Latham.

I don't think it's an overstretch to think a person agreeing with such views would struggle have the empathy required to properly motivate and inspire young people of minority backgrounds. (Particularly when paired with his obviously old school coaching style).

BBTB

Juniors
Unfortunately we had Cam McInness who eventually nailed us but it was too late because Robson was picked up by the Cows and we got left holding the bag. Another recruitment and retention fiasco.
This mob running the show at SGI, are as useless as tits on a bull. Something has to be done to rid ourselves of these self serving nitwhits.

Smacka

Juniors
If he thinks that their culture is a distraction that’d be a pretty quick way to lose them.
Enlightening.
That's why we're playing so badly. Hook can't pander to the Players culture.
So training must consist of :-
1. Prayer meetings for the Christians.
2. Everyone facing west & bowing down at 3pm for the Muslims.
3. Ouija board provided for the Satanists so they can do their thing.
4. Counselling for the drug & alcohol affected , those with Personal Relationship issues.
5. Meetings with Parole Officers or Community Service Supervisors.
I thought it was just a lack of ability to adapt to the circumstances of a game , basic skills & a low confidence level.
Young People nowadays expect too much too early with little effort on their part. If you don't kiss their arse they want to move on - Sportsmen are no exception.

SBD82

Coach
Enlightening.
That's why we're playing so badly. Hook can't pander to the Players culture.
So training must consist of :-
1. Prayer meetings for the Christians.
2. Everyone facing west & bowing down at 3pm for the Muslims.
3. Ouija board provided for the Satanists so they can do their thing.
4. Counselling for the drug & alcohol affected , those with Personal Relationship issues.
5. Meetings with Parole Officers or Community Service Supervisors.
I thought it was just a lack of ability to adapt to the circumstances of a game , basic skills & a low confidence level.
Young People nowadays expect too much too early with little effort on their part. If you don't kiss their arse they want to move on - Sportsmen are no exception.
Thank you for so clearly demonstrating my point.

Rather impressive really.

Smacka

Juniors
This is minimising it a tad. He seemed to almost exclusively "like" hard right and racist tweets, including the likes of Pauline Hanson and Mark Latham.

I don't think it's an overstretch to think a person agreeing with such views would struggle have the empathy required to properly motivate and inspire young people of minority backgrounds. (Particularly when paired with his obviously old school coaching style).
Hook has coached where ? Brisbane , Penrith & now the Dragons. No mention of "struggles" with Players from minority backgrounds. Do you think Gould would have let this slip in his oft criticism & snide comments related to Griffin. It was a nothing story 2 years ago by the SMH who were "palling up" to Gould as a potential roadblock to prevent Hook getting the Dragons gig.
I'm Indigenous & don't have a problem with Hook. If I was playing & got dropped I'd be pissed off but would do my best to prove him wrong. I wouldn't rely on my "background" as an excuse.

Smacka

Juniors
Further - Fittler is most likely the Bulldogs new Coach. Gould would have no issue in working in the background undermining their Opponents. Fittler has had dealings with Sullivan & Sloan in the Emerging Blues Squads etc. The Bulldogs badly need a No.1 & No. 7 : where better to poach them from than us. Agitate , cause disension , make promises to these Young Blokes & they'll walk. The Luminary Gould doesn't care about contracts or other obligations ; just look at how he managed to get Vaughan off his Covid suspension once he signed him up to the Dogs !

True_Believer

Juniors
Maybe they aren’t good enough yet.

If you were to guess, why would you say that is?

I would say it's because for the past 2 years they haven't had the opportunity for consistent game time. There hasn't been a KOE cup for them to develop in since 2019 and so they are behind the 8 ball. We are giving them time in the lower grades to develop their game. Which, I think, is the right approach to their development.

SBD82

Coach
I would say it's because for the past 2 years they haven't had the opportunity for consistent game time. There hasn't been a KOE cup for them to develop in since 2019 and so they are behind the 8 ball. We are giving them time in the lower grades to develop their game. Which, I think, is the right approach to their development.
I think that would be a valid argument if we were seeing the same issue across clubs. But we’re not. Why is it that our club is unable to develop juniors to NRL standard?

Take away the indigenous factor, is there any chance that Hook holds the same archaic views on young people that were demonstrated above by my friend @Smacka ?

True_Believer

Juniors
I think that would be a valid argument if we were seeing the same issue across clubs. But we’re not. Why is it that our club is unable to develop juniors to NRL standard?

Take away the indigenous factor, is there any chance that Hook holds the same archaic views on young people that were demonstrated above by my friend @Smacka ?
Why isn't it a valid argument for this discussion? Hook came in half way through this period. You can hardly hold him accountable for our failings to develop young players before that.

What makes you think he has issues with young people? He's brought through many young players across 2 clubs prior to us. 2 specific indigenous players off the top of my head are Gagai and Yow Yeh. Not to mention so many young players from a range of other cultures. He's also afforded both Sullivan and Sloan their debuts for the club which has seen Sloan play 9 games for the club and Sullivan play 10 - even accounting for an injury at the beginning of this year.

I've already gone into depth about this elsewhere. How about you do a search and have a read of the discussions.

Latest posts