What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

denis preston

First Grade
I hope the bullets are ready to go after Nov 1st or world cup is over. The boards only hope to keep the masses at bay is to announce a marquee signing ( or 2 ? ) . Otherwise keep the pressure on because flicking Hook before the pre season rather than 10 games in is a massive difference.

st.phil

Bench
apparently the second rower from Manly who played a couple games is also bitching Hook out on twitter and the tele (cant recall his name - sounded like Lebowski )

Gareth67

First Grade
Should the Dragons bite the bullet and say their farewells to Griffin and take on Flanagan , then at least our young guns would certainly have their opportunity in the top grade .

He likes speed in the halves , preferably those who can make a clean break with the speedsters in the team backing them up .

He may even decide that McCullogh is too slow and move Mr. Hunt to the hooker role ? 😳

Old Timer

Coach
apparently the second rower from Manly who played a couple games is also bitching Hook out on twitter and the tele (cant recall his name - sounded like Lebowski )
Journeymen in our system now handing out their CV’s willy nilly and blaming Hook for the lack of success in their totally underwhelming careers.

The situation just becomes more farcical everyday as some in here give countenance to the most ridiculous criticisms of Hook.

st.phil

Bench
Journeymen in our system now handing out their CV’s willy nilly and blaming Hook for the lack of success in their totally underwhelming careers.

The situation just becomes more farcical everyday as some in here give countenance to the most ridiculous criticisms of Hook.
irrespective of player quality - if an individual is like and respected, it does not come to this. Untenable position - he's gotta go

Dragon David

First Grade
Should the Dragons bite the bullet and say their farewells to Griffin and take on Flanagan , then at least our young guns would certainly have their opportunity in the top grade .

He likes speed in the halves , preferably those who can make a clean break with the speedsters in the team backing them up .

He may even decide that McCullogh is too slow and move Mr. Hunt to the hooker role ? 😳
A majority of us on this Forum would certainly like to see Hook gone sooner than later, however, I cannot see the Board ripping up the contract before the start of the new season because of a couple of the guys having a whinge about him. Craig Young has said that Hook will be there next year and I'm sure that he has read and heard a lot of the disparaging remarks said of Hook. He and the other Board members would have seen the same sort of remarks that were said about Mary but they took forever to get rid of him.

I cannot see that he will survive all of the way in next years competition, but he will be there when pre-season starts and when the new comp starts. I'm using reverse psychology here.

I still cannot understand that not one whisper, suggestion or refuting has been made by any member of the administration at the club of the club approaching Flanagan to be the head coach. He either isn't wanted for the job or Flanagan has stated that he just doesn't want to coach the Dragons. Being the head coach at the Dragons under this Board would be a monumental task. A lot of pressure and there is a need to do a lot of culling of players and staff to get the right balance to build on for the next 3-5 years I'd say.

st.phil

Bench

irrespective of player quality - if an individual is like and respected, it does not come to this. Untenable position - he's gotta go
A majority of us on this Forum would certainly like to see Hook gone sooner than later, however, I cannot see the Board ripping up the contract before the start of the new season because of a couple of the guys having a whinge about him. Craig Young has said that Hook will be there next year and I'm sure that he has read and heard a lot of the disparaging remarks said of Hook. He and the other Board members would have seen the same sort of remarks that were said about Mary but they took forever to get rid of him.

I cannot see that he will survive all of the way in next years competition, but he will be there when pre-season starts and when the new comp starts. I'm using reverse psychology here.

I still cannot understand that not one whisper, suggestion or refuting has been made by any member of the administration at the club of the club approaching Flanagan to be the head coach. He either isn't wanted for the job or Flanagan has stated that he just doesn't want to coach the Dragons. Being the head coach at the Dragons under this Board would be a monumental task. A lot of pressure and there is a need to do a lot of culling of players and staff to get the right balance to build on for the next 3-5 years I'd say.
"full support of the board"

Old Timer

Coach
We’re supposed to be running a business not a child minding service

Everyone wanting a harder edge to our players but giving them a titty bottle to suck on due to the coach having the very thing the players lack.

No wonder P V, Abdo, Annersley, get away with turning this game into a game of touch.

Sure Hook is a dinosaur but he isn’t the only one in the trade but he’s made out to be the ogre of all ogres and the pointy end of all criticism.

Madge, Flanno, Des, Sticky and a few others hardly have degrees in psychology or diplomacy but rarely rate a mention despite all losing key players including at crucial times during the season.

The totals lack of objectivity pisses me off.

matPORTS

Juniors
Unless Des gets full control over the footballing department - he aint coming.

The reason why Des is being moved on from Manly... the board lost control over the footballing department, got sick of this issue, and are now taking back the aspects of control that they lost (helped by installing a puppet coach in Siebold - good luck with this one because in two years they are going to want a Manly guy back in there - much like in similar vein to what has transpired at the Broncos post- the Seibold reign).

Our board (especially with Craig Young as a sitting member of it - especially with his history of being part of our footballing department over the years - and with his other personal agendas) are not going to give Des (or any coach for that matter) full control of the footballing department... Wayne Bennett 12 years ago was a unique situation in this regard - but I'm pretty sure the fact that we didn't extend him (he was happy to keep going with us if you believe all the reports) boils down to ego with the boardroom no longer standing the fact that Bennett had a long leash in terms of control of the footballing department (Bennett wanted his own legion of assistants and staff = less jobs available for friends and family of the board within the footballing department).

Hook will be given the first ten weeks next year and then the inevitable will happen - and that will be an interim being installed with Craig Young getting his man for 2024 (we know who that is - and if the Cowboys have a successful follow up on this season just gone it will only add further justification). I just hope that we have a decent assistant onboard in 2023 who can help us to avoid the wooden spoon and a potential massive player revolt & exodus (but it seems Flanno is headed out the door).

When Mary was cut loose and Dean installed as interim - Craig had to take his leave of absence from the board which meant he had no say in the decision making which eventuated in Hook getting the job (well this is at least how it should have been - whether that is truly reality will remain unknown outside the boardroom). You can bet Craig will be having his fair say on matters this time around. Dean is at the Cowboys because Daddy didn't want him to cop any blame for what is now unfolding (which is probably going to result in a complete clean out of the footballing department over the next 12 months - and if Dean stayed on as an assistant, which Hook wanted him to do, he would have been cut loose in any such clean out).

[I am using some reverse psychology here in hope that this club actually makes some decisions based on smart business nous for a change and not ego + personal agenda/interest]

Another thing I'll also add (after listening to the latest Red V Podcast) - Since when to the players run things? What makes a player think they can renege on a multi-year deal? Agree with the lack of objectivity.

Last edited:

Dragons154

Juniors
As much as hook should be sacked, we all know this won’t happen.

we are getting treated like absolute mugs, and I can’t believe I’m even contemplating this.

but renewing my Membership, and signing up my 5 month old Daughter is looking extremely unlikely at this present time until the club starts putting in pathways for success starting with the coach.

we are absolutely odds on favourite for spoon in 2023.
Our recruitment is non existent. And has been for years.
And our youth, which is meant to be our future are slowly jumping ship.

the club won’t change unless you make them.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I'd love to see the end of Hook but lets face it, nothing will change unless the BOD & ownership changes.

We are a club that has zero ambition. The Roosters/Storm play to win comps.

We're happy to be competitive and a successful season = no spoon.

matPORTS

Juniors

More smoke, more pressure

Where were these journos when Mary was being granted multi-year extensions prior to balls being kicked and the ink in the results books drying?

Yep, George Burgess and Jack Gosiewski unloading is cause for concern. As is Matt Copper going on a tirade on Twitter.

The biggest concern of all is the writing is seemingly on the wall now for Jayden Sullivan to be granted his release, which will then set the precedent for others as well. This one will probably go into the too hard basket for club management, and rather than have the tough conversations will just let pain in the arse player manager and his client get there way.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

In short if C.Young has said that Griffin will be here next year then in my opinion its because one D. Young wont be back home till then.....as I said thats just my opinion but its one that Ive thought about for a long time.

Dragon David

First Grade
Where were these journos when Mary was being granted multi-year extensions prior to balls being kicked and the ink in the results books drying?

Yep, George Burgess and Jack Jack Gosiewski unloading is cause for concern. As is Matt Copper going on a tirade on Twitter.

The biggest concern of all is the writing is seemingly on the wall now for Jayden Sullivan to be granted his release, which will then set the precedent for others as well. This one will probably go into the too hard basket for club management, and rather than have the tough conversations will just let pain in the arse player manager and his client get there way.
If it is true that Sullivan was "promised" the 7 in 2024 and now with Hunt staying for 2024 and 2025, the club has gone back on their word and to me Sullivan would be within his "rights" to seek a release knowing now that he won't be the 7. Filling in here and there isn't the same. He would want inclusion every week in the 7 and if he was to get the 7 he would have been able to try harder to play in the 7 more times in 2023 so that he would have more game time in firsts to carryover into 2024 full time. Yes it is a whinge but I can see his point of view. If the club was honest and said to Sullivan that Hunt will be re-signed and therefore you will have to wait longer, then I'm sure Sullivan would not have re-signed to 2025 and might be instead signed with the Bulldogs.

We are in turmoil as a club. It is so unsettling already and pre-season hasn't even started and all we have to look forward to is a very probable bleak 2023.

Old Timer

Coach
OK big Toad Gus Gould if you want Bud he's yours for

$600k / season you pay all of it.
$300k TPA to us apply wherever we like in our roster for the work we have put into him.
and you give us a player of our choice.
You put it writing to Bud he plays every game in 1st grade barring injury.

If you don't think he is worth that then obviously he isn't the future for your club.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Now your talking Gareth