What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What a mess. Once Hook is gone, I cannot see him ever coaching again. I have never seen so much turmoil on a coach. I would love to know what further proof needs to be seen for the relationship between coach and payers to be untenable as you hear that as a reason for teams sacking their coach. The BOD just simply ignoring all fans and players who are the ones that they should be listening to not a bunch on Qlders who want to live their dreams and coach or play NRL whenever and wherever they want to.

matPORTS

Juniors
If it is true that Sullivan was "promised" the 7 in 2024 and now with Hunt staying for 2024 and 2025, the club has gone back on their word and to me Sullivan would be within his "rights" to seek a release knowing now that he won't be the 7. Filling in here and there isn't the same. He would want inclusion every week in the 7 and if he was to get the 7 he would have been able to try harder to play in the 7 more times in 2023 so that he would have more game time in firsts to carryover into 2024 full time. Yes it is a whinge but I can see his point of view. If the club was honest and said to Sullivan that Hunt will be re-signed and therefore you will have to wait longer, then I'm sure Sullivan would not have re-signed to 2025 and might be instead signed with the Bulldogs.

We are in turmoil as a club. It is so unsettling already and pre-season hasn't even started and all we have to look forward to is a very probable bleak 2023.

We are definitely in severe turmoil if we believe everything that is being said and reported on !

The thing is - season 2024 is still 18 months and two pre-seasons away.

Sullivan signed the new deal knowing full well that the club was going to be making decisions on Hunt at the back end of the season just gone. As Hooper quite rightly states in this article, none of us can deny the club wanting to retain its captain (especially as he's had a good season).

I'm not sure we truly know what has been promised to Sullivan? I cant see the club having a gun held to its head about Sullivan being guaranteed the half back position for 24'/25'? At the same time, there is still no guarantee that Sullivan is going to be success either (he's had his fair share of injury woes stalling his development so far - but I don't want to be short sighted here either).

Same with Ben Hunt. I would also expect the club to have been having the hard word with him that his future role is where it best benefits the team, which if we believe whats been said in the press we've basically had a gun held to our head with the salary expectations and wanting clauses in the contract about who is coach and the position he is going to be playing (surely this is not the case).

I've also mentioned this in other threads about Sullivan (and Sloan as well). You've signed the deal - now get out there in pre-season, rip in and make it impossible for the coach not to select you. If he isn't selecting you, then he will have pressure coming on him from other angles & sources to do so.

One thing is for sure - we need to stop being seen as a soft touch. If we are going to release, we need the appropriate compensation coming our way (both financially and in terms of balancing our roster). We can't allow another Saab situation to take place without the appropriate compensation.

Smacka

Juniors
OK big Toad Gus Gould if you want Bud he's yours for

$600k / season you pay all of it.
$300k TPA to us apply wherever we like in our roster for the work we have put into him.
and you give us a player of our choice.
You put it writing to Bud he plays every game in 1st grade barring injury.

If you don't think he is worth that then obviously he isn't the future for your club.
Take a bow Old Timer.
Your comments over the last few weeks are spot on.
The Media beat-up on Griffin started as soon as his name was linked to our Club. It has been disgraceful (orchestrated by Gus , the living legend). We should all remind ourselves this is the OFF SEASON & the notable scribes are limited with stories to present.
Players (at all levels) are overpaid for their performances. They should be paid on a win / loss basis & get a percentage of what they generate through the gate. Our Mob would have to get real jobs & answer to a Boss who would not put up with their malarkey !

Crush

Coach
What an absolute mess, these guys are pure morons.
Sullivan will be let go, Hook will be sacked, and we will be left with a team full of reserve graders...and Ben Hunt.
They are just so stupid.
Option A, sack Hook now, new coach walks into a mess but squad with potential, move Sullivan to 7, Hunt to 9 and begin the rebuild. Hell, that team might not play finals next year but it wont be bottom 4.
Option B, keep Hook for 10 rounds into 23' then sack him, lose Sullivan to Dogs, new coach walks into an absolute rabble.
Geez, I wonder which option the club will go with? morons.

Old Timer

Coach
Take a bow Old Timer.
Your comments over the last few weeks are spot on.
The Media beat-up on Griffin started as soon as his name was linked to our Club. It has been disgraceful (orchestrated by Gus , the living legend). We should all remind ourselves this is the OFF SEASON & the notable scribes are limited with stories to present.
Players (at all levels) are overpaid for their performances. They should be paid on a win / loss basis & get a percentage of what they generate through the gate. Our Mob would have to get real jobs & answer to a Boss who would not put up with their malarkey !
You make perfect sense.

Big Gus never got over the criticism he got from our fan base for the Mc Fookknuckle review let alone what happened to his mate and has death ridden every single thing we and Hook does and because he is "Gus" people stupidly fall in line behind him.

He manipulates every situation for his own benefit and to make himself relevant.

I'd love to see him pick up the coaching reins of any club in the bottom 8 and see how far he would get working within the confines we have to.

He is the most correct "after the fact" commentator of all time.

I'd love for those that have been back stabbed and trodden on by him to get the media to take notice of what they say about him but of course that is never going to happen.

Dragon David

First Grade
We are definitely in severe turmoil if we believe everything that is being said and reported on !

The thing is - season 2024 is still 18 months and two pre-seasons away.

Sullivan signed the new deal knowing full well that the club was going to be making decisions on Hunt at the back end of the season just gone. As Hooper quite rightly states in this article, none of us can deny the club wanting to retain its captain (especially as he's had a good season).

I'm not sure we truly know what has been promised to Sullivan? I cant see the club having a gun held to its head about Sullivan being guaranteed the half back position for 24'/25'? At the same time, there is still no guarantee that Sullivan is going to be success either (he's had his fair share of injury woes stalling his development so far - but I don't want to be short sighted here either).

Same with Ben Hunt. I would also expect the club to have been having the hard word with him that his future role is where it best benefits the team, which if we believe whats been said in the press we've basically had a gun held to our head with the salary expectations and wanting clauses in the contract about who is coach and the position he is going to be playing (surely this is not the case).

I've also mentioned this in other threads about Sullivan (and Sloan as well). You've signed the deal - now get out there in pre-season, rip in and make it impossible for the coach not to select you. If he isn't selecting you, then he will have pressure coming on him from other angles & sources to do so.

One thing is for sure - we need to stop being seen as a soft touch. If we are going to release, we need the appropriate compensation coming our way (both financially and in terms of balancing our roster). We can't allow another Saab situation to take place without the appropriate compensation.
Agreed!

SBD82

Coach
The ongoing defence of Hook is laughable. Even if you ignore all of the evidence coming from the players, how can you defend his coaching? We are shit. He hasn’t given us the hard edge that has been alluded to. He hasn’t improved out attack. He hasn’t improved our roster. Our defence is pissweak.

On what metric can he be gauged as a success in his 2 year tenure?

Old Timer

Coach
The ongoing defence of Hook is laughable. Even if you ignore all of the evidence coming from the players, how can you defend his coaching? We are shit. He hasn’t given us the hard edge that has been alluded to. He hasn’t improved out attack. He hasn’t improved our roster. Our defence is pissweak.

Just in case people are reading me wrong I’m not defending Hook’s coaching

The piss poor defence, the lacklustre attack, the mind boggling 5th tackle options etc etc all sit firmly under his chair.

However there is an awe full lot of criticism levelled at him tgat is simply not warranted and when you gave the press being bleeding hearts for George Burgess and a few journeymen all because if that horrid Hook people should see tgat for what it is.

I would love people to explain to me that if Hook is so politically incorrect, so inept at communicating, so devoid of understanding the youth in our team how did Feagai, Amone, Ramsay get your where they are and why the f**k did Sloan decide to stay?

SBD82

Coach
Just in case people are reading me wrong I’m not defending Hook’s coaching

The piss poor defence, the lacklustre attack, the mind boggling 5th tackle options etc etc all sit firmly under his chair.

However there is an awe full lot of criticism levelled at him tgat is simply not warranted and when you gave the press being bleeding hearts for George Burgess and a few journeymen all because if that horrid Hook people should see tgat for what it is.

I would love people to explain to me that if Hook is so politically incorrect, so inept at communicating, so devoid of understanding the youth in our team how did Feagai, Amone, Ramsay get your where they are and why the f**k did Sloan decide to stay?
Maybe those things happened in spite of Hook’s pathetic coaching abilities.

Are you willing to say that they happened as a direct result of his coaching?

Mojo

Bench
Can see our beleaguered Coach gone before Pre Season commences
Now that the Manly dramas have spilled over , the blow torch will be fully on the Drags now
The Club will keep saying Hook is safe BUT out will trot former players and disgruntled leaving players tipping the bucket squarely on this former great club
Major Sponsors will then step up and demand change or they will walk away
Canon fodder for the Media till the Board finally reveal we have no choice and bye bye Hook
Will Hunt follow ?...doubt it. He has his extension now but few on here will be gutted if he decides to follow
New Coach....Still odds on to be Deano , but of the others Dessie ., Hannay or C Woolfe , who surely has a clause in his contract to leave if a n NRL gig bobs up , would be my choices BUT heck , anything thing is better than whats being dished up now ................
Guaranteed the media will then give the Club breathing space to see if they crawl out of the quick sand .They have got their Man and will move onto their next target..........
Hope you’re right - Woolf would be my preference.

The Villain

Juniors

On a positive note the club would have saved a shit ton of money on food and drink at presentation night.

BLM01

First Grade
Should the Dragons bite the bullet and say their farewells to Griffin and take on Flanagan , then at least our young guns would certainly have their opportunity in the top grade .

He likes speed in the halves , preferably those who can make a clean break with the speedsters in the team backing them up .

He may even decide that McCullogh is too slow and move Mr. Hunt to the hooker role ? 😳
Better hurry up before he signs that deal as assistant at Manly next week

Mojo

Bench
You make perfect sense.

Big Gus never got over the criticism he got from our fan base for the Mc Fookknuckle review let alone what happened to his mate and has death ridden every single thing we and Hook does and because he is "Gus" people stupidly fall in line behind him.

He manipulates every situation for his own benefit and to make himself relevant.

I'd love to see him pick up the coaching reins of any club in the bottom 8 and see how far he would get working within the confines we have to.

He is the most correct "after the fact" commentator of all time.

I'd love for those that have been back stabbed and trodden on by him to get the media to take notice of what they say about him but of course that is never going to happen.
Yes, Gus is a dick! Unfortunately, I agree with him that Hook isn’t an NRL coach.

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe those things happened in spite of Hook’s pathetic coaching abilities.

Are you willing to say that they happened as a direct result of his coaching?
I just said his coaching was poor so not sure how you came to asking me about that

Mine was a simple question how did 3 juniors get to 1st grade and stay there and if Hook is such an ogre and especially to Sloan why is he staying?

All the forum is going berserk about how Hook is responsible for this and for that even to the point that journeymen’s complaints are held up as examples of “let’s execute Hook” because he is responsible for them being shit footballers.

Not so long ago Mike Cooper was ridiculed for having a say about his time here and there were other comments by players that copped the wrath of this place but because it’s Hook it’s open hunting season.

The hypocrisy is outstanding.

This place was a basket case well before Hook and being a basket case is why we got Hook but all this whinging and whining from some in the playing group is pathetic and shows why the effort on the paddock was so abysmal.

Barry Beath had more balls than some of these Nancy’s.

SBD82

Coach
I just said his coaching was poor so not sure how you came to asking me about that

Mine was a simple question how did 3 juniors get to 1st grade and stay there and if Hook is such an ogre and especially to Sloan why is he staying?

All the forum is going berserk about how Hook is responsible for this and for that even to the point that journeymen’s complaints are held up as examples of “let’s execute Hook” because he is responsible for them being shit footballers.

Not so long ago Mike Cooper was ridiculed for having a say about his time here and there were other comments by players that copped the wrath of this place but because it’s Hook it’s open hunting season.

The hypocrisy is outstanding.

This place was a basket case well before Hook and being a basket case is why we got Hook but all this whinging and whining from some in the playing group is pathetic and shows why the effort on the paddock was so abysmal.

Barry Beath had more balls than some of these Nancy’s.
I saw all three of them make some individually brilliant plays. Didn’t see them coached to be part of a good system though.

As for your Nancy comment, it’s just typical cranky old man bollocks. Old men have been criticising the work ethic and toughness of younger generations since the dawn of time. That same generation that you’re criticising just won 2 comps in a row at Penrith. If I were to guess, I’d say that it’s probably the same shit that Hook believes, and is likely the reason why he’s having so much trouble dealing with the squad.

Here’s a hot tip. When one person in a workplace complains and everyone else is happy, that worker is likely to be the issue. When a couple complain it could be either way. When a critical mass is unhappy. It’s probably a culture issue.

We have a culture issue that has outlasted many, many players. Might be time to acknowledge that the issue is structural, including but not limited to the coach.

Latest posts