What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

In what way is the Red V still here?! We have one St George junior in the joint. Two perfectly good home-grown back-rowers ( Leilua and Host) were allowed to leave, when it's an area we lack strong players and Dufty has yet to be offered a deal beyond this year to my knowledge. To me, that stinks.

Another thing at stinks is our recruitment and development. Not only do not replace outstanding contributors (Hornby, Soward, Cooper, Weyman) our local product (from either catchment) never seems to get the right guidance and so they never become more than 2nd/3rd tier players. Jackson Ford is a classic example. He was tremendous in CC. Once he gets into the "elite"squad he has completely stalled. I heard a story that we once chose Tony Caine over Danny Buderus. Either Buds had a bad day on the day he trialled for us or we are just plain stupid.

I think Millward is under a lot of pressure at the moment, especially from this tough coaching group.

Almost certainly they will be looking at everything they can do to snare (and even back end) talent they need to lock in for 2022.

If Hook could start afresh and build a squad, how many current sgi players would be in the mix? Do we know if anyone has been extended under his tenure so far?

But as a current serving sgi player, the way the club stood up to Cam was instructive if not, frightening!

He was the most consistent player, the best player, club captain and kid hero. Red and white forever.....
The closest thing you had to a modern day “great.”
A legend in waiting.

And under the new regime, the amount of perceived suffering the club wanted to endure for a sound contract and an extended tenure was.....zero!

It must have sent a chill throughout the player ranks. They thought he could command almost anything he wanted. A genuine talent, a rare gem, uber celebrity. A lot us fans thought so. I did and still do.

The message to the playing group was that if you continue to f**k around and to play park, you’ll be gone or be on the fire sale list by Easter.

Players were in tears when Mary threatened to stand them down for a game. Now their very livelihoods are at stake.

Hooks only got two years, if he’s going down, he’ll be more than happy to take the players who cost him a potential extension with him.

It’s do or die, rugby league blood will be spilt. It’s the only logical conclusion post Mary. We all saw the day of player reckoning coming.

It’s a very exciting period in the clubs history, a major upheaval. Worth a membership to be part of it.

Last edited:
Tigers put 50 on Manly in today’s trial. Griffin needs to be given a clear period to try things. That said, I couldn’t understand why more forwards weren’t signed. It was very apparent last season that we were very light on forward depth. At least two props short and we also lost Frizzell, Host, Graham. De Belin is yet to be replaced.

it was insanity not to go harder for some bigger names, Tamou, Eisenhuth, Woods et al. Big skilful guys is what we needed. Still need.

Hopefully Faaumausili works out but Alvarro? This guy is the essence of plodder. It’s like buying a no frills version of Aidan Tolman.

We need an urgent pow-wow with the Sharks to buy Aaron Woods. Not because he’d solve our issues but because he is a competent first grader.

Jack Bird is a must to play 13 or back row. He’s one of the few players we have who can break the line and set up a support. Solid defensively on an edge or in the middle. Must play in the forwards.

I think Jackson Ford will come good. He’s an athlete and he’s fast. He just needs to be left in there to develop and he’ll get there. He’ll get there much quicker however if there are more commanding players around him.

Here’s where we lack IMO: Lawrie, Sims, Vaughan, Fuimaono. This quartet flatter to deceive each week yet they are essentially the bulk of our starting pack.

Sims and Vaughan simply must produce this season if we are to move forward but they didn’t start well on the weekend. Do they have the ability to get the job done? Has not happened in a long while.

I want to feel good about Blake Lawrie as he tries his heart out, is very tough. But you just expect a player who plays as much first grade as he does to improve and develop. A pass, a step, some sleight of hand, anything. Unfortunately with Blake it’s generally run it up and get dropped by whoever is front of him. We’ve seen a lot of him now and maybe so missed it but has he ever broken a tackle?

Fuimaono. All over the place. Struggles in every department but mainly in defence.

Geez it stung today watching Luciano set up four tries for the Tigers.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Tigers put 50 on Manly in today’s trial. Griffin needs to be given a clear period to try things. That said, I couldn’t understand why more forwards weren’t signed. It was very apparent last season that we were very light on forward depth. At least two props short and we also lost Frizzell, Host, Graham. De Belin is yet to be replaced.

it was insanity not to go harder for some bigger names, Tamou, Eisenhuth, Woods et al. Big skilful guys is what we needed. Still need.

Hopefully Faaumausili works out but Alvarro? This guy is the essence of plodder. It’s like buying a no frills version of Aidan Tolman.

We need an urgent pow-wow with the Sharks to buy Aaron Woods. Not because he’d solve our issues but because he is a competent first grader.

Jack Bird is a must to play 13 or back row. He’s one of the few players we have who can break the line and set up a support. Solid defensively on an edge or in the middle. Must play in the forwards.

I think Jackson Ford will come good. He’s an athlete and he’s fast. He just needs to be left in there to develop and he’ll get there. He’ll get there much quicker however if there are more commanding players around him.

Here’s where we lack IMO: Lawrie, Sims, Vaughan, Fuimaono. This quartet flatter to deceive each week yet they are essentially the bulk of our starting pack.

Sims and Vaughan simply must produce this season if we are to move forward but they didn’t start well on the weekend. Do they have the ability to get the job done? Has not happened in a long while.

I want to feel good about Blake Lawrie as he tries his heart out, is very tough. But you just expect a player who plays as much first grade as he does to improve and develop. A pass, a step, some sleight of hand, anything. Unfortunately with Blake it’s generally run it up and get dropped by whoever is front of him. We’ve seen a lot of him now and maybe so missed it but has he ever broken a tackle?

Fuimaono. All over the place. Struggles in every department but mainly in defence.

I agree with many of your thoughts here DITIW. However, the jury is still out for me on Jackson Ford. Recognise his attacking abilities, but unfortunately (at this stage) also his defence deficiencies. If he’s defence improves in the next 6 weeks it’s certainly worth just leaving him in to develop further, but if he can’t improve his defence considerably don’t feel they can wait too much longer.....

FlameThrower

Bench

We really are a rabble of a Club, if an SOS to the Sharks, to get Woods as our ‘saviour’ is the answer.

thebigredv

First Grade
I feel the same as most. Prepared to give Griffin a good long go before bringing out my claws but the lack of recruiting up front is a head scratcher. I can only assume he has a greater plan or idea in mind.

Maybe he is going to run this team into the ground like I did my old blue carolla, then they will just give up and walk away when they realise how out of their depth they are. Hasn't worked for Norman thus far.

In all seriousness, unlike Mary, I don't think Griffin will stick with underachievers. Not sure if many people know but it was interesting he tried to keep Host after the McGregor regime decided to let him go. That's also gotta mean something.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Lomax generally played well but still came up with his regular dropped ball or two.

One lost ball (Ramsey) was down to Reynolds clever use of the sun but most were lost in collisions with Souths fast moving defence or, in the case of Lomax, poor ball control while on the ground.

redv13

Bench
One lost ball (Ramsey) was down to Reynolds clever use of the sun but most were lost in collisions with Souths fast moving defence or, in the case of Lomax, poor ball control while on the ground.
The Lomax lost ball could easily have been a penalty. 50 50 call

thebigredv

First Grade
It may have been a comfortable loss to our arch rivals and we are currently favourites for the spoon but I suddenly feel we might have a coach that can actually control a team.

I didn't see a lot of that 'lost' and misdirected attack that we have become accustomed to and the forwards certainly dig in and played for each other. With some astute recruitment we could be back in the game in a year from now.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Hook could do something with this team but the recruitment has been very poor and needs huge improvement.
That is our biggest issue.

Dragon David

First Grade
It may have been a comfortable loss to our arch rivals and we are currently favourites for the spoon but I suddenly feel we might have a coach that can actually control a team.

I didn't see a lot of that 'lost' and misdirected attack that we have become accustomed to and the forwards certainly dig in and played for each other. With some astute recruitment we could be back in the game in a year from now.
If we were able to get back JDB and he became match hardened after a few games, we might be lucky to win a few games this year, but yes we definitely need some astute recruitment together with the letting go of several not so good players.

cussy

Juniors
I think the two Bronco signings have done Hook some damage (despite Bird looking decent....but is on big coin). The McCullough signing makes no sense.
It’s been well documented he isn’t on “big coin”- if you don’t know the facts don’t write it.