What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Banger

Juniors
Let me put it back on you. How long should we have to give the coach to put out there a competitive and reliable performing team?

As far as I am concerned, if by Sunday afternoon Hook's boys haven't picked apart the last-placed, coach-less Dogs and given them the flogging they deserve then it's the best example of a fail.

We are stable, have the youth and experience the coach wanted, can't blame injuries, the weather or anything else especially in contrast to the opposition. If we are half decent we will deliver the dogs a blow that is befitting for a team like us apparently on the rise. We couldn't manage beating them last time ...but let's forget that...almost a year on it will be different right? When will it be ok for me to expect the mighty dragons can trounce the spooners? When do I get your permission?
If dogs beat us we can blame covid

True_Believer

Juniors
Let me put it back on you. How long should we have to give the coach to put out there a competitive and reliable performing team?
When they first announced that we had signed Griffin for 2 years, I thought "What's the point". Given we needed to put in new systems, build up our pathways and build a new team with adequate depth, there's no way we could do that within 2 years. We are still working through that process and there's still issues with that - but we are making progress. And I can see why they wanted to sign a coach for only 2 years - they weren't expecting things to turn around in that time, but they wanted to see if we were making any headway in any of these departments.

It's a massive task - especially if it is expected that we don't become another 2009 - 2011 situation and want the rise to be persistent and consistent. Clubs who need to build have to be realistic here and not expect stuff to turn around in a year or 2. Bulldogs are a prime example. They are trying to buy a team. They might rise up for a year or 2 but will never be a consistent team.

Based on our situation, I would say 4 years is realistic if progress is being made - which I believe it is.
We are stable, have the youth and experience the coach wanted, can't blame injuries, the weather or anything else especially in contrast to the opposition.
We have the youth, but they aren't ready - as he's pointed out. Injuries have hit us - hence why it's taken so long for Ramsay and Bud to come into the team. Not to mention now Sua and Moose etc.

True_Believer

Juniors
If we are half decent we will deliver the dogs a blow that is befitting for a team like us apparently on the rise. We couldn't manage beating them last time ...but let's forget that...almost a year on it will be different right?
Not sure what you are trying to say here - your previous comments talk about envy for a team sitting on rock bottom because "they don't leave any stone unturned" - which is searching for short term success. I believe we are trying to build for long term success - that means there will be ups and downs while we get the combination right.
When will it be ok for me to expect the mighty dragons can trounce the spooners? When do I get your permission?
Lol!! Just having a discussion here. My expectations of the team are different to yours. You appear to want immediate short term success, I'm looking for more long term solutions.

blacksafake

First Grade
Mahoney and B Smith were both on the market. Two dynamic, game changing players. Let's not forget Wishart was let go. Hodgson from Raiders would have been a huge step up from AM.
I reckon Smith was always going to the roosters regardless of any other suitors.

Mahoney I was told had been in talks with the dogs for at least 12 months & verbally agreed early on.

Wishart, Who knows what went on there.

Hodgson’s best is behind him & injuries haven’t helped. Imagine this forum if we’d had signed him. It wouldn’t be pretty 😁

thebigredv

First Grade
I believe we are trying to build for long term success - that means there will be ups and downs while we get the combination right.

Is it the dropping Sullivan for Mbye and McCullough or is it the reports that Sloan wants away from Griffin that has you thinking this?

Two brilliant talents that he doesn't know how to foster.

True_Believer

Juniors
Two brilliant talents that he doesn't know how to foster.
In your opinion of course. Bud has been injured and isn't a hooker. Sloan needs more work and can do that in reggies.

As I have said multiple times already, he is bringing them on slowly. That means having them in and out of the team. Just because YOU believe they are the be all and end all, doesn't mean they get automatic inclusion in the first grade team.

And it's great to see that you are believing every report coming out of the media. I'm guessing you also believed the reports that Bird was about to sign with the Tigers? Just before he resigned with us of course.

As I've already stated, we have different opinions. You don't like Hook and want short term success. I'm willing to give him more time because I can see changes happening that I believe bode well for the long term future. Whether Hook is there to see it all out - who knows. But I'm seeing forward movement which hasn't been there for years.

Last edited:

Banger

Juniors
In your opinion of course. Bud has been injured and isn't a hooker. Sloan needs more work and can do that in reggies.

As I have said multiple times already, he is bringing them on slowly. That means having them in and out of the team. Just because YOU believe they are the be all and end all, doesn't mean they get automatic inclusion in the first grade team.

And it's great to see that you are believing every report coming out of the media. I'm guessing you also believed the reports that Bird was about to sign with the Tigers? Just before he resigned with us of course.

As I've already stated, we have different opinions. You don't like Hook and want short term success. I'm willing to give him more time because I can see changes happening that I believe bode well for the long term future. Whether Hook is there to see it all out - who knows. But I'm seeing forward movement which hasn't been there for years.
This is a great post.

justadragon

Bench

I agree with you on most of your points except for one, there is no possible way that you would drop sullivan(if it happens) to accommodate AM, considering what I saw on the weekend especially the second half, the way I see it Sullivan has done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped, you may want to call it player management but I call it detriment to the team, our speed in the ruck was the best its been the whole season and that is because AM was not there !!! You cant pull the player management card out when it suites and then play your favourites, we witnessed it last year and its sort of happening again this year with particular players.

denis preston

First Grade
Hook has promised better performances later in the season & is now getting the players preaching it . Wonder how our training has prepared for this and what are we doing to be this confident ( younger players growing with more experience , more settled selections or a great mid season signing ? ) or is it just BS to give him time ?

Illusion

Bench
I agree with you on most of your points except for one, there is no possible way that you would drop sullivan(if it happens) to accommodate AM, considering what I saw on the weekend especially the second half, the way I see it Sullivan has done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped, you may want to call it player management but I call it detriment to the team, our speed in the ruck was the best its been the whole season and that is because AM was not there !!! You cant pull the player management card out when it suites and then play your favourites, we witnessed it last year and its sort of happening again this year with particular players.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

thebigredv

First Grade
Does Suli now get a spell in the reggies after a dismal defensive game?

If the coach is consistent then Suli goes the same way as Sloan, granted I felt Moses tried to make up for it with the ball in hand.

Did Griffin tear strips off him too or does he just do that to the rookies?

These are all questions that keep me up nights.

justadragon

Bench

If the coach is consistent then Suli goes the same way as Sloan, granted I felt Moses tried to make up for it with the ball in hand.

Yep totally agree with you, a good coach would keep him there to work on his combination with MF because the communication was poor down that side in defense as it was the previous week against the warriors. There is only one way it would improve and that is to work hard and remain in the side. But I did say a good coach :)))

dannyt

Coach

Assuming you believe the reports and hook did tear strips off the rookies.

redv13

Bench

Suli has been in the top 5 best players for us all season along with Hunt, Su’a, Molo and JDB.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I found this rather interesting:

After 12 rounds
Dragons - 6/6. Currently 9th
Games v teams currently in the 8:
6 for 1 win (Roosters), 5 loses (Eels, Panthers, Sharks, Rabbits & Storm), yet to pkay Cowboys and Broncos.

Rabbits - 6/6 currently 8th
5 for 1 win (Roosters), 4 loses (Broncos x2, Storm & Panthers), yet to play Cowboys, Sharks & Eels

Sharks - 7/5 currently 7th
4 for 1 win (Eels), 3 loses (Storm, Broncos, Roosters), yet to play Panthers, Cowboys & Rabbits

Some analysing sees teams above us with an easier opening 12 round draw, lets see what happens from here.

Latest posts