What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

justadragon

Bench
Wow… the outrage about our approach just CONFIRMED the media’s pov, the hate for the dragons out there really pisses me off. They are a.ways going to take the negative. Exact same response from another team would be applauded.

as I understand it, the decision was made pre-season. It’s fair and honest. hook is told he will be based on his results, so some numpty says he has to re-apply.

yes we could have and maybe we’re targeting a specific coach like the sharks did, but here it is leaked and suddenly its a disaster. We may be reviewing, why not?

for those who wanted Hook to stay, it’s still a chance if he gets results, for others, it looks like you get you wish.
I understand what you are saying SnowDragon, I'm not questioning the methodology behind what the club is doing. To me we should have been settled with or without hook by the end of last season, not churning all this out 3 rounds into the season. If it has an impact on the playing group, maybe, maybe not but its certainly a distraction we didnt need on top of everything else that happen in the preseason.

BLM01

First Grade
See your point OT, but we could have been proactive at the end of last season rather than now.
Who says behind the scenes they havent been proactive. They have decided to let the media know about it conveniently now. Dont take the media reporting as gospel as if a leak just fell out at them
I said it late last year that he may not be coaching in 2023. Well it is not over yet.
Hook is very lucky to be still here in March similar to Mary in 2020 under new conditions

BLM01

First Grade
He will be taking over the Dolphins in 2 years a far less F..d up club than saints
What you can tell this about the Dolphins after 3 games.
The NRL need these teams to look good early. Wait till Bennett leaves whenever that happens.
These new franchises always have their honeymoon period.
Look at how the Titans were spending (admittedly dodgy deals) and reasonably competitive in their early years challenging and / or making the 8.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hook was extended in Feb last year when the Club took up its option of a further year.

From our failure to play finals football last year (again), some rigor has been placed on returning us to that level. IMO, Hook was put on notice once new AC's were appointed, as ultimately the performance of the team lies firmly on his shoulders, hence the delegation of 'duties' given to the new AC's (sorry, can't find the article on this). Quite the revelation for Hook.

This is where the 'talk' must have happened, ie: perform or perish.

How did it escalate, particularly in the media, and to a lesser extent 'from the Club rumor mill'? Looking at the 2 post game PC's and you'll see a definite picture. The comment/s directed at Bud I don't think went down well with certain people.

Speaking of that play, was it a planned play? Or just heads up football from Bud?

Anyway, back to Hook. I think they have targeted Ryles and will go all in to get him before Bellamy moves on. Talks must be in motion for the news to have surfaced. Hence the 'back-up' plan of Hook having to re-apply if it doesn't work out.

This week's 'coaches preview' and post match PC will be for some interesting viewing.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
What you can tell this about the Dolphins after 3 games.
The NRL need these teams to look good early. Wait till Bennett leaves whenever that happens.
These new franchises always have their honeymoon period.
Look at how the Titans were spending (admittedly dodgy deals) and reasonably competitive in their early years challenging and / or making the 8.
100 percent agree. That try vs the raiders is another example of the league wanting (and needing) certain teams to win. Dodgy corrupt sport

redVinme

Juniors
Hey there all,
never posted but enjoy reading the threads
"St George Illawarra Dragons veteran Moses Mbye has thrown his support behind Anthony Griffin after it was revealed the Dragons' board will force the coach to re-apply for his job at the end of the season.
OMG The Ultimate "kiss of death" as reported by SEN

Course he has. Hanging on to mums dress til the final moment

For what it's worth, I heard Zorba talking about Hasler on 2ky a few months back.
He emphasised he had not spoken to him about coaching again, but said he believes Hasler still has the desire to coach again in the Nrl.
When pushed on a possible landing spot, Zorba did say he believes if Hasler coaches again it would be at the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hey there all,
never posted but enjoy reading the threads
"St George Illawarra Dragons veteran Moses Mbye has thrown his support behind Anthony Griffin after it was revealed the Dragons' board will force the coach to re-apply for his job at the end of the season.
OMG The Ultimate "kiss of death" as reported by SEN
Welcome to the Forum Hound of Dracula. We know that without Hook, Moses won't be at the Dragons next year.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well if Dessie is to be the chosen one , then the Dragons must have won lotto . Because they will be needing every dollar they possess to afford his signings .

Mind you I am not against the man as our future coach as it would mean he shall clear the decks of the deadwood and secure the services of a number of high profile players that will deliver the required results .

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Agree with the others Phantom V but not Flannagan, he did nothing for us as AC, he did nothing for us as R & R, yes he knew the playing group but what did he do to help out with our woeful attack and defense. We seem to be changing things with the 2 new AC's. We have never been in a position to roll the dice on anything and thats because we make stupid decisions at board level ie extended Hook's contract before a ball was kicked last season.
Was Flanagan allowed to do anything, has been mentioned that this year Hook has given the AC more control, so i wouldnt hold SF accountable on that.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
As others have mentioned, I'd be going all out to hire the most successful coach available and that would be Bellamy.

If we want success (to win premierships) then this is the guy that can get it done.
Have to agree with you there. Can’t possibly argue with your logic. However, I think you’re forgetting about the team that we all follow. When the top of the range article is available, this team likes to go for the cheap knock-off instead

Mojo

Bench
Well if Dessie is to be the chosen one , then the Dragons must have won lotto . Because they will be needing every dollar they possess to afford his signings .

Mind you I am not against the man as our future coach as it would mean he shall clear the decks of the deadwood and secure the services of a number of high profile players that will deliver the required results .
Every time I see the name Hasler my left eyelid starts to twitch for some reason.