What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

MilanDragon

Juniors
Because you too have an IQ similar to our coach.

Straight Shooter

It doesn't say much for your IQ if you couldn't even come up with two seperate calls.

Your IQ is probably lower than our coach, Crush and thebigredv

What's the old saying? Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?

Sharp shooter

MilanDragon

Juniors
Bellamy, Robertson and Flanagan would have our side going better than we are and would have made some hard calls to get the improvement out of them.
I am positive that if any of those 3 were coaching they would have created the correct environment so that Luc, Field and Dufty would have seen some quality 1st grade time.
Their innovation, skills and belief in themselves enables young players to feed of it.
Not sure Mc Fookknuckle has the same self belief and he is so desperate not to create any potential criticism he is a total conservative.
Maybe if he gets a 3 year extension in the next week or so he might then have the belief but I still think he will err on the side of the 140 game veteran style of player instead of youth.
It will be very interesting to see what he does against Newcastle as in reality where we sit and our F/A should mean he can experiment with complete safety.
If he doesn't do it then, then we will know for sure if the shit hits the fan we have no logical plan B and we will fly by the seat of our pants.

I think it's a fair assessment to say those 3 would have us playing better, but than I think it's fair to say Bellamy could have any club playing better. Those 3 also have more experience than McGregor.

Could we do better for a coach? Absolutely - 14 clubs probably could (using Bellamy or Bennett as a benchmark).

But if we see who's out there I don't know if I'd rather anyone else at this point in time. McGregor messed up big time last year and as a result is having to work over time to change is 'brand' - something that we all know about in corporate environments is your 'brand' and that initial impression takes a long time to change.

The reality is Mcgregor took over a team mid-season and did nothing inspiring. His first full year we over-achieved and sat 1st for god knows how long before scraping into the 8 and with the team he inherited it wasn't that bad.

Problem was last year we went backwards and played horrendous footy - which he needs to take responsibility for and I agree he was lucky to escape with his job.

His final year of the contract we are playing good attractive footy and sitting top 4 currently.

So that's what we have to judge on. For me I'd be happy for the club to wait and see how we close out the season before extending Mary (based on 2015).

The flip side is by signing the extension now maybe the club sees it as a step in the right direction, gives Mary confidence to experiment a little more and start preparing our juniors for the next few years too.

Crush

Coach
To refer to our coach, who has us sitting 3rd and with two very unlucky losses, in such terms is pretty immature tbh.
To say Bellamy or Robertson or whoever would have us in a better position is just plain ridiculous.
At the risk of embarrassing myself, who the frick is Robertson anyway? Is that Trent Robinson or is Robertson some gun coach from the ESL or something?

jak

Bench
Crush
If we really knew who was available at what price to come to our club maybe the thread would reactivate.
I for one firmly believe that there are far batter coaches out there than Mary and would try to get them if it was at all possible.
Trouble is no one really knows.
One thing I suspect is that despite how well we are actually going, under the guidance of a few other coaches we could be going even better.
Mary to his credit has done much better this year but IMO there is still a lot of unlocked potential in the team and I am not sure he can actually unlock it let alone tap into it.
who is out there with the keys to do the unlocking I'm the first to admit mary has surprised a lot of us this year.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
For me the argument isn't that Bellamy would have us sitting better than 3rd place right now, It's that he'd have us going as good or better right now, next year and the year after that. I was having a conversation with my father-in-law (who is a Storm supporter) this afternoon that went something like this:

FIL: Geez you must be happy with how Dragons are going at the moment?

Me: Yeah we're sitting 3rd at the moment, huge turnaround from last year.

FIL: My boys (Storm) are going good as well, sitting top of the ladder!

Me: Yeah but your team is always going well, to finish 5th would be considered a bad season.

I'm happy with how we're travelling at the moment but still have the painfully inept style of football we've played the previous 2 years burned into my memory, plus the bullshit excuses McGregor tossed up week after week until it literally became comical.

MilanDragon

Juniors
For me the argument isn't that Bellamy would have us sitting better than 3rd place right now, It's that he'd have us going as good or better right now, next year and the year after that. I was having a conversation with my father-in-law (who is a Storm supporter) this afternoon that went something like this:

Me: Yeah but your team is always going well, to finish 5th would be considered a bad season.

I'm happy with how we're travelling at the moment but still have the painfully inept style of football we've played the previous 2 years burned into my memory, plus the bullshit excuses McGregor tossed up week after week until it literally became comical.

I think you hit the nail on the head that's it's burned in your memory the last two years. The big question for me is has McGregor learned? If yes then I'm willing to give him a chance. If the answer was no that's a whole different story.

There's a saying I once heard, very applicable here RE McGregor.

The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but never forget.

I think on this forum we have posters that fall into all 3 categories.

Crush

Coach

The Storm are an incredible club. Consistent and ultra professional. It will be interesting to see if anything changes though once Cronk and particularly Smith retire. People could argue that without Smith, the best player in the nrl arguably and a future immortal, things may change.
I think they will still be strong but perhaps not the force they have been of late.
Still regardless, Bellamy is a champion coach but it must.be nice to coach Slater, Cronk and Smith...

Old Timer

Coach
You know, I am so happy that I dont feel the same way as you do on the coach of our team, the one we both support. Calling him McFooknuckle. Its really disrespectful in my opinion although I am not trying to tell you how you can or cant address players or coaches so don't get me wrong.
I am just thankful that I don't feel that way. That I respect the coach enough not to call him by derogatory names.
Anyway, on the other coaches that you have mentioned, maybe they would have the dragons playing better but maybe they wouldn't. Its pure speculation and just an opinion after all.
I think that you are being extremely harsh on McGregor but you are entitled to your opinion and I get the impression that NOTHING is going to change your mind on this one.
There are lots of things he can do to change my mind.
Do you remember at the beginning of the pre season the big announcement that he was going to trial a host of people in different positions, well what actually happened to that?
Remember the big announcement re Field on the bench and getting some quality time, well what happened to that?
If he put the wingers on their correct side that would impress me.
If Mc Crone is the best we can do for half then I think he is mistaken and IMO a real good coach wouldn't go that way (of course we will never I know we can only surmise) but if he tried something to improve us that would impress me.
I have given him credit this year but IMO he still falls down on some simple things and that is the difference between good coaches and the rest and I don't think you can win a comp without a really good coach (squad permitting of course).
Has he improved our lot in life, yes he has, but as I posted earlier, how much of that is him and how much is on the back of the inclusion of Vuaghan & Mc Innes I am not sure.
No doubt his attitude re Lafai this year has been proven correct.
How much he has had to do with the improvement in Lafai and Widdop I don't know but it is certainly noticeable.
So as is always the case if you can upgrade why not but if not then he is better than a lot of others.
We are going well and if we continue I will then take my hat off to him but there is still a long way to go and I am willing to wait whereas others are already blowing the Mary trumpets.

MilanDragon

Juniors
There are lots of things he can do to change my mind.
Do you remember at the beginning of the pre season the big announcement that he was going to trial a host of people in different positions, well what actually happened to that?
Remember the big announcement re Field on the bench and getting some quality time, well what happened to that?
If he put the wingers on their correct side that would impress me.
If Mc Crone is the best we can do for half then I think he is mistaken and IMO a real good coach wouldn't go that way (of course we will never I know we can only surmise) but if he tried something to improve us that would impress me.
I have given him credit this year but IMO he still falls down on some simple things and that is the difference between good coaches and the rest and I don't think you can win a comp without a really good coach (squad permitting of course).
Has he improved our lot in life, yes he has, but as I posted earlier, how much of that is him and how much is on the back of the inclusion of Vuaghan & Mc Innes I am not sure.
No doubt his attitude re Lafai this year has been proven correct.
How much he has had to do with the improvement in Lafai and Widdop I don't know but it is certainly noticeable.
So as is always the case if you can upgrade why not but if not then he is better than a lot of others.
We are going well and if we continue I will then take my hat off to him but there is still a long way to go and I am willing to wait whereas others are already blowing the Mary trumpets.

I think in the case of Vaughan and Mcinnes he is clearly getting the best out of them, which is the coaches role - to get the best out of his players. We can't just say because we signed Vaughan and Mccinness the club is going better, at the end of the day Vaughan was playing reserve grade last year.

It doesn't say much for your IQ if you couldn't even come up with two seperate calls.

Your IQ is probably lower than our coach, Crush and thebigredv

What's the old saying? Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?

Sharp shooter

Yes, you're correct high IQ. Mary is a competent first grade coach and the Dragons a professionally managed organisation.

I withdraw all my previous posts on the matter.

Straight Shooter

cussy

Juniors
You guys are off your head. Go better than what they are going ? Sitting in 3rd spot with best FA, best attack and a great defence. What more do you want? This is a team that was projected to win the spoon. You guys are the Donald's trump of league supporters full of shit and fake news.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Yes, you're correct high IQ. Mary is a competent first grade coach and the Dragons a professionally managed organisation.

I withdraw all my previous posts on the matter.

Straight Shooter

You're like a child. You personally attack others for having a somewhat positive view, but if they do they have a low IQ. My IQ might be the lowest here but so what?

I don't expect you to withdraw your views or posts just to treat others' views with some respect.

You're like a child. You personally attack others for having a somewhat positive view, but if they do they have a low IQ. My IQ might be the lowest here but so what?

I don't expect you to withdraw your views or posts just to treat others' views with some respect.

Mate, it's a little frustrating when certain fans hail the successes of Mary and the board. We are so far beyond the leading clubs in terms of professionalism and a consistent winning culture that's is not funny.

Our club is not improving but continuing to go backwards, despite bright patches here and there. It shouldn't be like this. The self interest which inflicts this club is horrendous.

Straight Shooter

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A yes from me.

Still no from me but he is getting better (couldnt be any worse than 2016).
There are certain aspects of his game management that needs a lot of work such as use of the bench, player selection and game watching (not being proactive just reactive).

Old Timer

Coach
You guys are off your head. Go better than what they are going ? Sitting in 3rd spot with best FA, best attack and a great defence. What more do you want? This is a team that was projected to win the spoon. You guys are the Donald's trump of league supporters full of shit and fake news.
If you are happy then good for you.
For those that are of the belief we could be doing better what's the matter with that? Are you against criticism that might bring further improvement?
Some are happy with a modicum of success others perceive that a lot more is still available.
Some believe that what has transpired this year is as good as it could possibly get others see it as a scratch on the surface.
Others are happy to stick with the status quo to achieve an outcome others see innovation and change as a better way to achieve the desired outcome.
If you think that we couldn't play any better and the basis of your argument " Sitting in 3rd spot with best FA, best attack and a great defence. What more do you want?" then you in fact have no vision and are a person that is happy to take what he is given.
Possibly you don't bother to ask why aren't we leading the comp and why didn't we put a couple of teams more to the sword. I'm bloody sure that is a question that top coaches ask every single day.
If you do ask it, then you must be happy with the coaches explanation as to why we are not, whereas others believe he could have done it better and he was too scared / incompetent / insecure to do so.
Re the Trump quote IMO you guys are peddling fake news if you think everything is just perfect in Dragons land and others should therefore raise no objections.
Some people are so accustomed to no success that any success is heralded as triumph whereas others believe the true measure of success is the final outcome not just the situation at the half way point of the season.

Draginzaaar

Bench
For those that are of the belief we could be doing better what's the matter with that? Are you against criticism that might bring further improvement?
Some are happy with a modicum of success others perceive that a lot more is still available.
Some believe that what has transpired this year is as good as it could possibly get others see it as a scratch on the surface.
Others are happy to stick with the status quo to achieve an outcome others see innovation and change as a better way to achieve the desired outcome.
If you think that we couldn't play any better and the basis of your argument " Sitting in 3rd spot with best FA, best attack and a great defence. What more do you want?" then you in fact have no vision and are a person that is happy to take what he is given.
Possibly you don't bother to ask why aren't we leading the comp and why didn't we put a couple of teams more to the sword. I'm bloody sure that is a question that top coaches ask every single day.
If you do ask it, then you must be happy with the coaches explanation as to why we are not, whereas others believe he could have done it better and he was too scared / incompetent / insecure to do so.
Re the Trump quote IMO you guys are peddling fake news if you think everything is just perfect in Dragons land and others should therefore raise no objections.
Some people are so accustomed to no success that any success is heralded as triumph whereas others believe the true measure of success is the final outcome not just the situation at the half way point of the season.

Then you will only be happy if we win the comp. If we make the GF and lose in golden point, you will say 'I told you so'. I like being happy at us winning, why complain? That's not the kind of life I want to live. I like being happy. You think that Mary should not be coach because there are better ones out there, but this bloke who can't coach has us 3rd with the best attack. So what do you want? We had Bennett in 2009 and didn't make the Grand Final. Lets see how we go for the rest of the season. We may even go alright.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
After round 14 If Saints win they will be 2nd or still remain 3rd, 2 points behind 1st.

To be honest I prefer 3rd, 2 points behind Melbourne, because I can see Sharks losing more games than the Storm and Saints need the Storm to lose as many as they possibly can to get to No.1.

Who thought that would be the case? I guarantee nobody.

Give credit where it is due and Mary is so far impressing the crap out of alot of people. AND possible coach of the year if he finishes top 4. Why wouldn't you want to hold on a potential coach of the year if that is the case?
As for team selections at the start of the year, if Mary picks Mann at centre, people will say why not Aitken or Milne, If he picks Field at half, they will say why not Mann. No matter who Mary picks there will be critics.

I think Saints are lucky to have so many good options so why complain at all. Mary inherited a bad roster with serious cap issues and has fixed it. People seem to forget how bad the roster was when Price left. Nathan Fien 1/2 back, Leeson Au Mau backrow, etc. it was chaos. He made tough choices in losing Merrin & BMoz but has reaped some reward a couple of years later when those 2 would have been in 1.5mil between them. A winger and a prop taking up that much cap space.

cussy

Juniors
To be honest I don't read your posts they are too long winded. If wanted to get nagged I would listen to my wife more.