What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Unlike at the West Tigers were coach Ivan Cleary asked all fans and players to get on the bus with confidence in his direction. Our guys have had to hire their own bus and drive themselves.
I wonder if McWreckor has asked the players to get on the JetSki instead. Different strokes for different coaches.
and i bet we will still finish higher then the tigers.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor says he finally has the squad he wants
Send via Email
It's taken the best part of four years, but St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor finally has the roster he wants heading into the 2018 season.

McGregor will begin his fourth campaign as head coach in Saturday's trial clash with Hull at ANZ Stadium, with new faces Ben Hunt and James Graham to have their first outing in Dragons colours.

The pair of Internationals put the finishing touch on a roster several seasons in the making since McGregor took the reigns from former coach Steve Price midway through 2014.

His ascension to the head-coaching role came amid a salary cap squeeze that ultimately resulted in local juniors Trent Merrin and Brett Morris departing the club as part of a dramatic roster overhaul.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is finally happy with his roster.

Photo: Anthony Johnson
Contract talks and roster instability have been a constant headache in the ensuing two seasons but McGregor is confident his current squad is the best he's had at his disposal.

"I think it's the best roster we've had in my time here," McGregor said.

"As a head coach it does take you probably three years to get the roster you want unless you inherit a very good one that are currently in the top four to six sides in the competition.

"We weren't that when I started back in '14 and the start of '15. I feel now I've got a roster I'm totally comfortable with.

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor in 2014.

Photo: Andy Zakeli
"I think our balance of youth and experience is good with the nine debutants we've had in the last two years. They're a good age, they're into their second and third pre-season which is great.

"With the addition of the two Internationals in Ben and James, as well as bringing in some experience into that middle part of the field, I feel this squad is the best one we've had for quite some time."

McGregor will be hoping the added experience can arrest the late-season fade-outs that have been the club's Achilles heel in recent years and dramatically cost it a finals berth in 2017.

"We exceeded the critics expectations to start they year but we didn't live up to our own at the back end of the year," McGregor said.

"We've got to be consistent for a longer period. We did lead the competition, and we were in the top four in round 14, but we didn't finish strong enough.

"Two out of the [last] three years we've been in the top four past the halfway mark of the competition so it's about maintaining that standard, regardless of the opposition we play, on a weekly basis.

"We dropped five games to teams that finished below us and that's not good enough. For us, it's about closing that gap between our best and our worst and being consistent on a weekly basis.

"I feel we've got the squad to do that now with depth in important positions."

McGregor said new-look halves Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop will get between 40 and 50 minutes of action against Hull, in what will be there first hit-out as a pair.

"I think that combination will grow as the season goes on," McGregor said.

"Benny's a genuine [number] seven. He likes to play on the ball and likes to run the footy, he's a dominant kicker, which will take a lot of pressure away from Gaz.

"I feel Gaz is one of the best instinctive players in the game and he's got bottomless talent so he'll be released to do that instead of looking to organise a footy team.

"That'll be up to Ben to execute the game plan so I'll be looking for those few things from him [on Saturday]."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...y-has-the-squad-he-wants-20180216-h0w7pz.html

Life's Good

Coach
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor says he finally has the squad he wants
Send via Email
It's taken the best part of four years, but St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor finally has the roster he wants heading into the 2018 season.

McGregor will begin his fourth campaign as head coach in Saturday's trial clash with Hull at ANZ Stadium, with new faces Ben Hunt and James Graham to have their first outing in Dragons colours.

The pair of Internationals put the finishing touch on a roster several seasons in the making since McGregor took the reigns from former coach Steve Price midway through 2014.

His ascension to the head-coaching role came amid a salary cap squeeze that ultimately resulted in local juniors Trent Merrin and Brett Morris departing the club as part of a dramatic roster overhaul.

Contract talks and roster instability have been a constant headache in the ensuing two seasons but McGregor is confident his current squad is the best he's had at his disposal.

"As a head coach it does take you probably three years to get the roster you want unless you inherit a very good one that are currently in the top four to six sides in the competition.

"We weren't that when I started back in '14 and the start of '15. I feel now I've got a roster I'm totally comfortable with.

"I think our balance of youth and experience is good with the nine debutants we've had in the last two years. They're a good age, they're into their second and third pre-season which is great.

"With the addition of the two Internationals in Ben and James, as well as bringing in some experience into that middle part of the field, I feel this squad is the best one we've had for quite some time."

McGregor will be hoping the added experience can arrest the late-season fade-outs that have been the club's Achilles heel in recent years and dramatically cost it a finals berth in 2017.

"We exceeded the critics expectations to start they year but we didn't live up to our own at the back end of the year," McGregor said.

"We've got to be consistent for a longer period. We did lead the competition, and we were in the top four in round 14, but we didn't finish strong enough.

"Two out of the [last] three years we've been in the top four past the halfway mark of the competition so it's about maintaining that standard, regardless of the opposition we play, on a weekly basis.

"We dropped five games to teams that finished below us and that's not good enough. For us, it's about closing that gap between our best and our worst and being consistent on a weekly basis.

McGregor said new-look halves Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop will get between 40 and 50 minutes of action against Hull, in what will be there first hit-out as a pair.

"Benny's a genuine [number] seven. He likes to play on the ball and likes to run the footy, he's a dominant kicker, which will take a lot of pressure away from Gaz.

"I feel Gaz is one of the best instinctive players in the game and he's got bottomless talent so he'll be released to do that instead of looking to organise a footy team.

"That'll be up to Ben to execute the game plan so I'll be looking for those few things from him [on Saturday]."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...y-has-the-squad-he-wants-20180216-h0w7pz.html

Blah, blah, blah.

Mary, just do 3 things:

1 - Drop underperformers
2 - Rotate the bench
3 - Announce your resignation

BennyV

Referee
Fair comment there, Benny V.

I guess the main issue we fans have with McIdiot is that we should blood some of the young players, for the last 15 minutes in most games to give them a taste.

Let face it, if we lose a game just because we put a youngster on in the last 15, then we don’t deserve to win that match.

If we were to do that, imagine the benefits of we can achieve.

Youngsters would step up knowing they will get a taste of it.

Regular first graders would pick up their game, knowing there is someone to replace them if they slacken off.

All it takes is some balls.
Sadly, Mary is lacking any.

This is what really upsets us fan.
Rant over.
OKB
Disagree with the strategy. I dont think the whole '15 minutes of NRL' thing works for any position 1-7. It's not long enough to get into the rhythm of the game and get enough confidence to have a crack. Hell, some outside backs may not see the ball for that whole period!

The time to blood youngsters is during Origin, injury and when form dictates. If Lomax or Garrick are dominating ISP and Aitken or Nightingale are leaking tries, they should be rotated. If Dufty completely bombs, then he should be replaced. There needs to be a bit more ruthlessness.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Cleary is 5x the coach Mary is.

If it's just a matter of roster, the eastern suburbs rorters will beat us by 30.

But they won't.

Many things come into who wins what.
move on we get it mary is a bad coach. but we will finish higher then the tigers. we will beat roosters again on Anzac day. cronk will break his leg and tedesco will rupture his acl

TomRedVRiver

Bench
We're stuck in a predicament with Mary and we can only thank Doust for this one.

In my opinion, the best coach on the market right now is Paul Green. To sign him would be a massive coup, what he has done at the Cowboys is nothing short of incredible and he would breathe life into any club he goes too. The problem is, the Cowboys are pushing hard to keep him and pretty much every other club in the NRL have made inquiries.

Where this is an issue for us, is if we manage to sign Green, it would have to be NOW. Before the Cows or any other club pick him up. This will cause issues because Mary will essentially know that this is his last season with the club and that might cause a certain element of unrest.
But.... If we wait to see how Mary performs this year, we're going to miss out on Paul Green, which would be a massive mistake.

Ahhh, Rugby League.

Send via Email

I feel totally nauseous!
Rationalizing failure ever since he took over..
"Leading the comp at the half way mark"
Now finally he has a squad he is "totally comfortable with" etc. etc. etc.
His coaching since he took over has been diabolical - the main contribution to our results.
One of the reasons the pundits rate us so poorly is because of McGregor, not because of our roster.
Widdop has "bottomless talent" and the rest of the guff.
It's just too much to bear.
Well, 2018 is the season where there are no more excuses - no rationalization to hide behind.
The way he is talking we have to be a top 4 candidate.
Unfortunately, a top 8 finish will probably be heralded as a huge achievement and result in yet another premature extension.
We await the start of the season with bated breath.

ouryear

Juniors
move on we get it mary is a bad coach. but we will finish higher then the tigers. we will beat roosters again on Anzac day. cronk will break his leg and tedesco will rupture his acl
What do you mean move on?

Everyone on here says it at least once a week each.

I was explaining why a weaker roster like the tigers may very well beat us.

Because Of our the damn coach!

Sack him.

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
After Steve Renouf made the comment that Bennett should retire ,and Walters should take over ...well it seems to me that a young coach by the name of JASON DEMETRIOU should be looking for a job .yes I hear you untried well if he's not a massive upgrade o n SUPERCOACH I'm DRAG QUEEN ......

Latest posts