What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Timer

Coach
yep because you’re a bitter old can’t
Not at all
I expect with the start to the season that we have had to go deep into the finals and that means winning at least 1 semi.
Would you not be expecting to do that after winning the minor premiership or do you think going out in straight sets is acceptable?
IMO to go out in straight sets would mean winning the minor premiership was grossly under utilised and accounted for very little.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If we win the minor premiership and lose the next 2 games will you be giving him any credit because I certainly wouldn't be.
Were you as critical of Bennett when we won the minor premiership in 09 and then bombed out in the first 2 weeks of the finals?

If we do win the minor premiership, then I will think that is definitely praiseworthy. lol

You had us struggling to make the top 8 at the start of the season. So if we win the minor premiership, then we must certainly have over achieved according to your prediction.

But to yourself and some others on this forum, Mary will only deserve any credit if win win the Grand Final. Personally I think winning the minor premiership is a better accolade than a premiership. The team that wins the minor premiership, has shown themselves to be the most consistent team over the whole season. I like backing teams to win the minor premiership as I think it is an easier bet than the Grand Final, in which anything can happen during finals football. Did you back us to win the minor premiership at the start of the season, or even after the season started? lol

Frank Facer

First Grade
This argument is flawed. The pessimists will never admit they were wrong just as the optimists will never admit that they were wrong.
The losers will just move on and change their focus. And the diehards will leave the forum.
Where is that Grouch dude that used to say we were doomed? Hasn't been seen since we went to number 1.
I don't think Grouch has posted since March. lol

Crush

Coach
Were you as critical of Bennett when we won the minor premiership in 09 and then bombed out in the first 2 weeks of the finals?

If we do win the minor premiership, then I will think that is definitely praiseworthy. lol

You had us struggling to make the top 8 at the start of the season. So if we win the minor premiership, then we must certainly have over achieved according to your prediction.

But to yourself and some others on this forum, Mary will only deserve any credit if win win the Grand Final. Personally I think winning the minor premiership is a better accolade than a premiership. The team that wins the minor premiership, has shown themselves to be the most consistent team over the whole season. I like backing teams to win the minor premiership as I think it is an easier bet than the Grand Final, in which anything can happen during finals football. Did you back us to win the minor premiership at the start of the season, or even after the season started? lol
Mary is insignificant.
He is doing just fine but isn't the reason for is being 9W 2L. That would be Hunt. Which you have to give Mary some credit for as he helped bring him to the club but Millward is more responsible than Mary perhaps.
Letting Dugan go, signing Hunt and Graham is the reason that we are doing well. Mary is doing a good job but he is no better than any other coach in the nrl (except Ricky Stuart).
#roster

Old Timer

Coach

Re Bennett in 09 I was disappointed that was the case but as it was his 1st year here and he was taking over a new club for the 1st time his achievement was commendable and he obviously backed it up in 2010.
I was bitterly disappointed and in fact very critical of Bennett and the club for 2011.
Re my view on the minor premiership I can understand your view point however for me it is a means to an end and that is winning the comp.
Obviously I am old schooI and was totally pissed off when the JJ Giltinan Shied was no longer presented on GF day to the competition winners.
In 1997 they decided to give it a lesser importance namely awarding it for the minor premiership which prior to then only meant you got an extra bight of the cherry come finals time so maybe you can understand why I don't place a lot of importance on it in the overall scheme of things.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I'll keep my powder dry on Mary until we start losing to less fancied teams, full into a heap and get bundled out of the finals by a Dogs side that couldn't fall over the try line.

Who knows what is going to happen for the rest of the year however, at the moment we are number one by two points, +135, next best + 83 and NSW could well change their colours to Red and White.

It's footy, it's the Vibe, live in the moment and go the Dragons.

Gareth67

First Grade
We will certainly lose to less fancied - or lower placed teams once the SOO begins and we also need to take into account the International games overseas . That is why it it is so important that the Dragons throw everything at the Panthers this weekend and go to 20 competition points .

As said , the Dragons have earned their place at the top of the ladder , but the games without many of our big name players are about to begin . I just hope that we can put everything into its true perspective should we lose (?) , quite simply our team will consist mainly of ISP players whom have not had too much top grade experience or minutes for that matter .

denis preston

First Grade
I was going to start a new thread titled " Burnout Alert " after what I heard this week from a Dragon insider.Even after the great start this year some of us , like me . are looking over our shoulders and hope the fall out doesn't happen this year.What I heard from a very good source has me worried.

* There has been no difference at all to the pre season and current team fitness preparations from past years.

* The young bench players have been given no explanations what so ever in regard to why they were given no or limited game time.

* A great part of the teams success has been helped by the new players and the freedom to play a bit more add lib

Don't want to be a negative nellie but this reinforces for me that I hope our board stays calm and doesn't upgrade any coaches contract yet as last weeks efforts looked ominous. Lets hope and give the coaching staff a chance to prove themselves but here's me thinking they have a plans & strategies for 2018 and on the bases of what I heard I hope i wasn't giving them too much credit.

This continued insistence of playing the game with 16 players has me worried.

And if as you say the 17th young bench player is getting no explanation as to why he didn’t play or why he was left out the next week, without playing, that’s even more concerning.

We shall see if things have changed, but as some of us realise, we’ve been here before and it all turn to custard.

Sack McGregor*

*IF it happens again.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What a thread

Mary 1 - LU St George Illawarra forum -3452.

If feel the conflict, 98.75% wanted Mary gornskis.

Better to be wrong and winning hey.......

MilanDragon

Juniors
I was going to start a new thread titled " Burnout Alert " after what I heard this week from a Dragon insider.Even after the great start this year some of us , like me . are looking over our shoulders and hope the fall out doesn't happen this year.What I heard from a very good source has me worried.

* There has been no difference at all to the pre season and current team fitness preparations from past years.

* The young bench players have been given no explanations what so ever in regard to why they were given no or limited game time.

* A great part of the teams success has been helped by the new players and the freedom to play a bit more add lib

Don't want to be a negative nellie but this reinforces for me that I hope our board stays calm and doesn't upgrade any coaches contract yet as last weeks efforts looked ominous. Lets hope and give the coaching staff a chance to prove themselves but here's me thinking they have a plans & strategies for 2018 and on the bases of what I heard I hope i wasn't giving them too much credit.

Point one I’m okay with as long as there is a plan long term to keep the players fresh. Whether that means using them heavily now and cementing ourselves a top 4 place then looking to rest players before finals.

Point two is the big one. I find that odd, really odd. Although surely those players don’t need an ‘explanation’ it’s pretty self explanatory.

I’d agree point three but that comes down to coaching in the sense your giving players freedom and not being ‘over coached’.

After the last few years I don’t feel overly calm about our position but definitely do hope what I said in point one will happen where we can rest players in say rounds 19-23 because we’ve locked up a finals position. What point is there throwing a few games early in the season then trying to play catch up. Every W matters, the 2 points don’t differentiate from start of the season or the end.

giboz71

First Grade
Now is the time of year the coaching staff earn their cash.

Rep season, players getting injured or in need of a break. This where management of a 30 man squad is critical and I’m looking at how ready players are to step up.

How well we go in the next 8 weeks should tell us how far Mary has come as a coach.

denis preston

First Grade
Now is the time of year the coaching staff earn their cash.

Rep season, players getting injured or in need of a break. This where management of a 30 man squad is critical and I’m looking at how ready players are to step up.

How well we go in the next 8 weeks should tell us how far Mary has come as a coach.
Agree, lets hope they kill it and Mary gets coach of the year, because if he does we go very very deep into the finals as well.

St Georgio

Juniors
This is a true test for McGregor as a future coach, the Storm under Bellamy were still successful during origin time, no excuses for McGregor, I don't want a repeat of 2004,2005 and 2006, gun team L Plater coach, I happy to bring back Wayne Bennett for another Premiership ASAP!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Re Bennett in 09 I was disappointed that was the case but as it was his 1st year here and he was taking over a new club for the 1st time his achievement was commendable and he obviously backed it up in 2010.

Bennett inherited a great side and lost game 1 in the semi's to the 8th placed Eels. If Mary makes Minor premiers he plays 4th placed side.

Mary has had to buiild his side as he inherited a squad from Supercoach Price. Bennett "liked what he had under the bonnet" when he inherited the squad from Browny. THose were his words.

Last night on Fox they had a Bennett 800 special and he actually did a job on the Saints after he left. He said comments like "I asked Beau Scott to come to the Knights.....", then for McKinnon "I thought he was a great player and asked him to come to the Knights......" So Bennett basically took our players without a care in the world. Pretty disrespectful I think. Happy to stay away from this bloke. Thanks Wayne for 2009 - 2011 but not for 2012 - 2017.....

Dragons 09

Juniors
Bennett inherited a great side and lost game 1 in the semi's to the 8th placed Eels. If Mary makes Minor premiers he plays 4th placed side.

Mary has had to buiild his side as he inherited a squad from Supercoach Price. Bennett "liked what he had under the bonnet" when he inherited the squad from Browny. THose were his words.

Last night on Fox they had a Bennett 800 special and he actually did a job on the Saints after he left. He said comments like "I asked Beau Scott to come to the Knights.....", then for McKinnon "I thought he was a great player and asked him to come to the Knights......" So Bennett basically took our players without a care in the world. Pretty disrespectful I think. Happy to stay away from this bloke. Thanks Wayne for 2009 - 2011 but not for 2012 - 2017.....

I wouldn't say he "did a job on the Saints", he just did what any other coach in the game would do if they had the opportunity. He brought Darius to the Dragons with him and we were all good with that.....same thing really!
If the Dragons signed a new coach tomorrow and that coach was able to bring some real talent with him, i think everyone would be very happy.
As for the shape he left our club in, well, we could look at that in a few different ways. If a CEO offered a coach a 3 year contract (he wanted 5 but only got 3) with the mandate to win a premiership in those 3 years, it's pretty difficult for the coach to achieve his mandate and at the same time put a 5-10 year squad succession plan in place to pass on to the next coach.
I'm not having a go at your directly Slippery as your line of thinking is probably the general consensus among most Dragons supporters, it's just not one i necessarily agree with.
Bennett might have played a role in what happened post 2011, but the CEO, the clubs financial situation and the old boys brigade deserve to wear at least some of the brunt.