What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

lynx000

Juniors
Of the premiership winning coaches in the NRL, this is how many years it took them to win their first comp:

Trent Robinson - 1
Wayne Bennett - 1
Ricky Stuart - 1
Paul Green - 2
Michael Maguire - 3
Craig Bellamy - 4*
Des Hasler - 4
Shane Flanagan - 6

This will be McGregor's 6th season. He will be our longest serving coach since Roy Masters

If you are talking NSWRL or NRL, that figure for Bennett is wrong, it is actually 6. He made the GF first year co-coaching Canberra in 1987, it then took him until 1992 to win one.

Reading on, I see a couple of others posted the same, my apologies.

RedVDragon

Juniors
If McDrunk does not win the comp this year and in if he wins the NRL premiership should his contract be extended. Johnno should include a clause in his contract that’s states this. No negotiation.

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors
For better or worse, McGregor is here, again, in 2019.

So, a thread to dissect the thoughts and musings of The Great Mind.

The access we have to the coach via the official Dragons website, YouTube, NRL press conferences, Instagram, etc, is awesome and adds to the soap opera that is rugby league.

Thoughts on terminating his employment go in this beast.

hazzbeen

Bench
I think we should sign him for another 6 years , let's give Mary a chance , he needs time to settle in .... And get to know the young players that we have in our ranks . Gee some of us are hard on this guy .....

hazzbeen

Bench
I will happily comment on this next year.
Old mate I will answer for you .... He should have gone 2 years ago , and like I have said before 2018 panned out OK in the end , but could have been a disaster if The Bronco's had beaten us .... The only reason we have seen Lomax and Dufty in first grade was due to injuries , Mary was forced to try them he had no option , so that scares me that he has his favorites week in week out ...Plus it looks like nothing will change with Win coming on board , so the boys club continues .... The coaching staff need a wipe out .... Mary has had more than most to prove himself , any way I for one will be happy to see the back end of our Super Dooper Coach .....

blacksafake

First Grade
Old mate I will answer for you .... He should have gone 2 years ago , and like I have said before 2018 panned out OK in the end , but could have been a disaster if The Bronco's had beaten us .... The only reason we have seen Lomax and Dufty in first grade was due to injuries , Mary was forced to try them he had no option , so that scares me that he has his favorites week in week out ...Plus it looks like nothing will change with Win coming on board , so the boys club continues .... The coaching staff need a wipe out .... Mary has had more than most to prove himself , any way I for one will be happy to see the back end of our Super Dooper Coach .....
What he said :thumbsup:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

well done ol fela, man of your word, ok h.n.y go get him

Look forward to seeing your post at 12.01:smile::smile::smile:

Gents, your too kind.

Now...... where was l?
Right then.... McGregor, ok, well ..... l will not connect the blowtorch yet.

Yes, should have gone long ago but with a new season, there may be new hope.

I know we have the cattle, we all know that.... even the journos are now tipping us which is a worry.
I'd rather they didn't but we have no control over it.

If Norman settles in well and becomes a positive influence around the team, we can give it a crack.
The litmus test will come at origin time. How McGregor handles that will decide our season and hopefully, his future.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
No one would give marywill his big deal, they'd set him in chains on top of boot hill, send out for some pillars and cesil b de mill he can choke happily ever after...yheèeeee ahhhhhh.....more champagne.Happy new year :beer::beers:

Last edited:

jak

Bench
Gents, your too kind.

Now...... where was l?
Right then.... McGregor, ok, well ..... l will not connect the blowtorch yet.

Yes, should have gone long ago but with a new season, there may be new hope.

I know we have the cattle, we all know that.... even the journos are now tipping us which is a worry.
I'd rather they didn't but we have no control over it.

If Norman settles in well and becomes a positive influence around the team, we can give it a crack.
The litmus test will come at origin time. How McGregor handles that will decide our season and hopefully, his future.
so is this the new you, or are you starting to sober up?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Posted this in JA with respect to Mary ... will add it in here ...

Lets delve into how good Mary is for us and how his decision making is simply amazing.

1. Nene McDonald. - Played on the left to start the year - scored some good tries. Injured and returned at which point SuperCoach popped him back onto the right and try scoring on both the left and right edge evaporated. All so a debutant could have left wing.

2. Luciano Leilua - Close to the most unique edge forward in the game in terms of size, hands, skill. Comes on in the Semi Final vs the bunnies and the game plan if that is what it is gave him a single possession. Where is the indivudual strategies to maximise the abilities of all the players in the team. There is no point forcing Luc into the bash and barge power game.

3. Tyson Frizell - Constantly rated highly amongst the players as an edge and managed to not score a single try running off the outside of Hunt all season. a play that Hunt/Gillett were able to use in Brisbane and one where Sims scored within 15 minutes of playing right edge. Instead Friz continues to run back on the inside. However no support/no plan to use that run to generate attacking opportunities ie Dufty in support

4. Euan Aitken - three years we have endured his ineffective defense at right centre. This year again he led centres for try causes. No improvement. No being dropped. It wasnt until he was injured that Lomax got a chance and from that point i think we conceded one try on the right. Aitkens weaknesses are so obvious yet there is seemingly no improvement in his game

5. Nightingale - LOL .. at least one if not two season too many. Thankfully he realised that one late in the season.

6. McInness - Two seasons workload is impressive for him however the obvious correlation between his workload and running game is apparant. One game i can remember him being interchanged off. The difference at the end of the final between Cook/McInnes and gameplan to get into position to kick the field goals was amazingly obvious.

7. Interchange - Well documented. No point belabouring that one. Worst use of bench rotations in the league.

8. Development - 5min game time at the end of a decided game is apparantly a succession plan. The early season treatment of Lomax/Robson in partiular but also Sele/Host/Lawrie was detrimental to their development.

9. Reaction to opposition - No ability to change it up. Persisting with one out running off a short pass from dummyhalf when faced with aggressive fast line speed. No getting Hunt/Widdop into first receiver Thurston style and playing the game one or two passes wider to limit the impact of that fast arrow defense.

10. Attacking kicking game - Nene proven to be dynamic in the air but rarely set up for bombs to him. widdop kicking into legs too often. We did generate a reasonable amount of repeat sets from kicks which is good but we probably could have kicked more pointedly to the wings than we did.

11. Field goals - LOL ...

12. Bomb Diffusal - Pereira showed those around him what was required. Dufty is quick but exploited way to often by being poorly positioned and unable to contest the bombs.

13. Blockers - Watch how often our wingers are isolated on bombs and forced into contested leaps as opposed to what we do at the other end. Structure on defensive bombs is very poor. Aitken in particular.

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors

Lets delve into how good Mary is for us and how his decision making is simply amazing.

1. Nene McDonald. - Played on the left to start the year - scored some good tries. Injured and returned at which point SuperCoach popped him back onto the right and try scoring on both the left and right edge evaporated. All so a debutant could have left wing.

2. Luciano Leilua - Close to the most unique edge forward in the game in terms of size, hands, skill. Comes on in the Semi Final vs the bunnies and the game plan if that is what it is gave him a single possession. Where is the indivudual strategies to maximise the abilities of all the players in the team. There is no point forcing Luc into the bash and barge power game.

3. Tyson Frizell - Constantly rated highly amongst the players as an edge and managed to not score a single try running off the outside of Hunt all season. a play that Hunt/Gillett were able to use in Brisbane and one where Sims scored within 15 minutes of playing right edge. Instead Friz continues to run back on the inside. However no support/no plan to use that run to generate attacking opportunities ie Dufty in support

4. Euan Aitken - three years we have endured his ineffective defense at right centre. This year again he led centres for try causes. No improvement. No being dropped. It wasnt until he was injured that Lomax got a chance and from that point i think we conceded one try on the right. Aitkens weaknesses are so obvious yet there is seemingly no improvement in his game

5. Nightingale - LOL .. at least one if not two season too many. Thankfully he realised that one late in the season.

6. McInness - Two seasons workload is impressive for him however the obvious correlation between his workload and running game is apparant. One game i can remember him being interchanged off. The difference at the end of the final between Cook/McInnes and gameplan to get into position to kick the field goals was amazingly obvious.

7. Interchange - Well documented. No point belabouring that one. Worst use of bench rotations in the league.

8. Development - 5min game time at the end of a decided game is apparantly a succession plan. The early season treatment of Lomax/Robson in partiular but also Sele/Host/Lawrie was detrimental to their development.

9. Reaction to opposition - No ability to change it up. Persisting with one out running off a short pass from dummyhalf when faced with aggressive fast line speed. No getting Hunt/Widdop into first receiver Thurston style and playing the game one or two passes wider to limit the impact of that fast arrow defense.

10. Attacking kicking game - Nene proven to be dynamic in the air but rarely set up for bombs to him. widdop kicking into legs too often. We did generate a reasonable amount of repeat sets from kicks which is good but we probably could have kicked more pointedly to the wings than we did.

12. Bomb Diffusal - Pereira showed those around him what was required. Dufty is quick but exploited way to often by being poorly positioned and unable to contest the bombs.

13. Blockers - Watch how often our wingers are isolated on bombs and forced into contested leaps as opposed to what we do at the other end. Structure on defensive bombs is very poor. Aitken in particular.
Happy New Year St. George fans.

May 2019 deliver us something we highly deserve but were too humble, too thoughtful, or too realistic to dare wish for.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

So very true, he's not fit to coach a pub side