What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Dragonslayer

First Grade
upload_2020-6-9_11-59-8-png.38927

That one?

Hoping its some kind of cruel joke

Dragonslayer

First Grade
the cruel joke is the club and how they blindly lead well meaning supporters down the garden path. In an effort to empty their pockets with false hope.

Yep the only way they will act is if memberships crash
Unfortunately, we have some 'loyal' supporters who don't want to lose their 'seating'.
I suppose thats ok if you like watching us play and lose the way we do.

_Johnsy

Referee
Me thinks, the only reason is, they can’t afford to sack him and pay him out.
The Gordon's, can't or won't? They had the ideal opportunity to show their intent and willingness to move forward with a strong message. They failed miserably, guess their millionaires for a reason. They only see this NRL franchise as a possible money making venture, obviously.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
McGregor has had a ton of help thrown his way over the years, at times a revolving door of support staff.

One of those is Shane Flannagan. As it stands, Flanngan is still banned from becoming head coach until 2022. Whoever takes over as head coach, Shane Wane perhaps, will have the same support that McGregor was never able to properly utilise. The Club board thought they could solve the coach problem by hiring more coaches.

It's ironic, because those long forgotten defenders of McGregor would ask the question: "But who will you get to replace him?" I always thought it was a disingenuous question. As if we need to pluck a name out of the air in order to validate our concerns over McGregor's appointment. The fact is, there are always alternatives.

My only ask was that the replacement coach comes from the outside.

Note to the board, please don't rush and sign a caretaker coach to the head coaching role like you did with McGregor.

whall15

Coach
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has surprisingly been granted a stay of execution after the club called an emergency board meeting on Tuesday morning to discuss his future.

Dragons directors reacted to Monday afternoon's dismal showing against Canterbury by organising a video conference to discuss the coach's future.

The Herald has been told by sources close to the meeting that the club decided against sacking the under-siege coach, despite the club slumping to a humiliating fourth straight loss to open the season.

The Dragons board was originally scheduled to meet next Tuesday, however the club's dire predicament forced officials to contemplate parting ways with the coach as early as today.

The Dragons are the only team in the NRL not to win a game this season, and haven't scored a try since the competition resumed two rounds ago, losing to cellar dwellers the New Zealand Warriors and Canterbury Bulldogs in consecutive weeks.

McGregor, who is in his sixth full season as Dragons coach, is on a contract until 2021 on a deal worth around $750,000 a season, and would receive close to a $1m pay-out should the club decide to end his tenure.

"If they make the decision I'll understand it," McGregor said of his potential sacking following the loss to the Bulldogs on Monday night.

"I'll be disappointed obviously but I understand the situation and there's conversations around it every day which doesn't help the team. If that decision is made, I'll wear it. I've certainly got the backing of the players and the staff.

"I'm not scared [of being axed] if that's the word you're looking for. I'm an optimist, but I'm a realist and I know that our team aren’t playing well enough at the moment and I'm the coach of that. I've got confidence in my team. At the moment they've lost a bit in themselves I think so I accept the blame."

Assistant coach Shane Flanagan is prohibited from taking on the head coaching role under the NRL's strict rules surrounding his return from suspension, leaving premiership-winning club legend Dean Young as a potential interim coach if McGregor is axed in the coming weeks.

Young's appointment is unlikely to extend beyond this year, but it will provide the Dragons time to find a long-term option for next season should they decide to part ways with McGregor.

Options include Sydney Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon, Panthers assistants Trent Barrett and Cameron Ciraldo, former Newcastle coach Nathan Brown and England coach Shaun Wane. Whispers around Wayne Bennett returning to the club won't go away, especially if the Dragons can offer him a three-year deal beyond his 2021 expiry at the Rabbitohs.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mc...o-discuss-coach-s-future-20200609-p550q4.html

_Johnsy

Referee
The contempt the board show for the fans is astonishing, talk about being able to read a room.

Make no mistake this is purely a penny pinching exercise by the Gordon's. no crowds, no hit to gate revenue. Sack him at the end of the year to save $ compared to a payout now. Purely a financial cost benefit analysis. Assholes, not sure about anyone else, but i am fkn furious.

Latest posts