What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Nathan Brown

Big Marn

Juniors
The team is always going to have kiwis in it on the basis of being a team based in NZ.

The point I'm making is that theres no point in signing 'kiwis' just because this is a kiwi based team. You should try to sign the best player, regardless of where they come from.
And this is why there should be a draft, as salary cap limitations prevent us from doing what you are prescribing. It would give us a chance to get top prospects for next to nothing and not be reliant on our own backyard. In the US, rookies are on a much lower pay scale for the first 4 years so you can build a roster around them with a budget in mind, eg a quarterback, which would equate to a top half in NRL.

Also, when your own backyard is being pillaged by the likes of the Roosters who take the cream of the crop, it gives the bottom teams a better chance at being on more of a level playing field as they get first dibs at the best players in the draft whereas the top teams get last dibs.

With a draft format, we might be able to draft a top local prospect that would otherwise been picked up by a Sydney team (using the current format where recruitment wins).
And if a team is intent on getting a certain player in the draft, then you get the fun game of teams trading to move up the draft to get their man ( trading with current players, future draft picks etc), which can strengthen your team in the future. Its what makes a lot of the American sports like NFL fascinating even during the offseason.

An NRL draft may never happen, but one can dream.

JJ

Immortal
They tried a draft already

as above, Gus can help establish a development system, but the reality atm is league has no status here, it’s union or head to Straya

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
And this is why there should be a draft, as salary cap limitations prevent us from doing what you are prescribing. It would give us a chance to get top prospects for next to nothing and not be reliant on our own backyard. In the US, rookies are on a much lower pay scale for the first 4 years so you can build a roster around them with a budget in mind, eg a quarterback, which would equate to a top half in NRL.

Also, when your own backyard is being pillaged by the likes of the Roosters who take the cream of the crop, it gives the bottom teams a better chance at being on more of a level playing field as they get first dibs at the best players in the draft whereas the top teams get last dibs.

With a draft format, we might be able to draft a top local prospect that would otherwise been picked up by a Sydney team (using the current format where recruitment wins).
And if a team is intent on getting a certain player in the draft, then you get the fun game of teams trading to move up the draft to get their man ( trading with current players, future draft picks etc), which can strengthen your team in the future. Its what makes a lot of the American sports like NFL fascinating even during the offseason.

An NRL draft may never happen, but one can dream.

Personally I hate the idea of a draft in Rugby League, I love the US sports and it adds something for sure there, but they are a completely different setup

Rugby League is a tribal game, kids grow up and have the chance to develop and play in their local area. USA you go to whichever high school recruits you, then whichever college recruits you, then into the big time. You aren’t coming through franchise systems and pathways at all, so there isn’t really an emotional connection

In Rugby League you start representing you club right from Under 15 level and the chance to move through all the grades up to the top, and the fans have the chance to follow all that development too and get excited about the kids coming through

Personally I prefer the stories of for example the Trbojevic brothers, with 3 of them now playing first grade together in the community they grew up in representing the club they are passionate about. Or the Panthers side we are watching at the moment who have come through together and are as tight as you can get. With a draft you lose that, and if clubs are poorly run with a track record of being poor with development, some special talents may fall through the cracks into the abyss, take Luke Brooks for example, he was touted to be the next Johns, but his career has stalled into mediocrity

SmashEmBro

Juniors
f**k off Nathan

coach has to be accountable for such a collapse
lol really?

The coach has a plan that, largely for 70 minutes seemed to work (albeit we did start slow).
Chads poor decision to kick a droppie, or Kosi accidentally kicking the ball back into his goal, or Roger getting caught in there, how can that be on the coach?
Everything was going well on the field, and then it wasn’t. That’s not the coaches fault

nswarrior

Juniors
lol really?

The coach has a plan that, largely for 70 minutes seemed to work (albeit we did start slow).
Chads poor decision to kick a droppie, or Kosi accidentally kicking the ball back into his goal, or Roger getting caught in there, how can that be on the coach?
Everything was going well on the field, and then it wasn’t. That’s not the coaches fault
Of course if it was a one off or rare then these things happen. But this team chokes as soon as it looks like we can win a game. It has happened 3 or 4 times this season I think 🤔

Meth

Staff member
Too soon to tell on Brown tbh.

I'd like to see him fulfil his three year contract and not renegotiate or revisit it until 2023

Matua

Bench
Shouldn't the messiah of this place, Cameron George, be the one with his head in the noose?

This is his team.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Of course if it was a one off or rare then these things happen. But this team chokes as soon as it looks like we can win a game. It has happened 3 or 4 times this season I think 🤔
Yeah but really, can you say an extra try or conversion in 4 or so games is the difference between Brown either being sacked or being lauded as a great coach?

The reality is, execution has been poor and while Brown is no super coach, had we scored about 8 extra points this season no one would be saying anything about him.

Big Marn

Juniors
lol really?

is it a coaching issue that SOS (on his own tryline) throws a pass 2 wide to RTS when the obvious play was a dummy half tunnelling run to make some headway and reduce the risk of being dragged behind the goal line. Coaches should be practicing that shit during the week. Forget the shemozzle before that. Forget Townsend cant count. Forget that Kosi should be playing soccer, not league. If we had got through our set of six, time would have run out and we would have escaped with a win. That play there cost us the game.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
That play there cost us the game.
So..you can single out the pass to RTS as the play that cost us the game, yet Kosi kicking the ball and putting us on the try the play before does not constitute costing us the game. If that never happened SOS wouldn’t have been in that position?

How many times during that game can we look at as “the play that cost us the game”. Heaps, I’d bet

Benek

Juniors
That’s what’s so worrying. It’s not one f**kup. It’s the entire team all going into zombie mode and collectively clusterf**king it. It’s like a mind control switch goes off and turns all their brains to mush when there are 10 mins left. This has happened 4 or 5 times this year with the same pattern. Can never blame a single person for such a comprehensive implosion.

Big Marn

Juniors
So..you can single out the pass to RTS as the play that cost us the game, yet Kosi kicking the ball and putting us on the try the play before does not constitute costing us the game. If that never happened SOS wouldn’t have been in that position?

How many times during that game can we look at as “the play that cost us the game”. Heaps, I’d bet
SOS was put in that position whether it was other peoples faults leading up to it. What I am trying to say is good coaching would be practicing during the week various scenarios and what to do in in that scenario. Its obvious to me this isnt happening, so there isnt good coaching going on.

Look up Bill Belichik and the New England Patriots. One of the reasons why they managed to win so many SuperBowls was he took his team through scenarios over and over and over that may or may not happen in a game until it became second nature to them. The Warriors are not doing this. That is why when things turn ( the buzz word is momentum) they dont know what to do. Its players being idiots, but its also bad coaching.
Its taken me awhile to come to this conclusion, but Brown is Matt Elliot Mk 2. Just another fraud. The only way this team will ever turn the corner is if they get Bellamy. Thats it.

SOS and Kosi shouldn't be on the field at this stage of their career. That they are there and cocking things up is due to necessity, not bad coaching. Personally I think Brown is simply average but one thing I do like about him is that he is constantly tinkering with things and trying to find the right balance for the team. Once he finds it and we get a bit of momentum and confidence going then I can really see this team performing well. We just need to be a bit more patient, unfortunately, because there is still potential and getting rid of him prematurely would achieve nothing except cement our reputation as a coach's graveyard that makes it all that much harder to hire anyone better in the future.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
It's at the point now, frankly it has been for years, that teams know if they can stay reasonably close to the Warriors they can beat them in the final 10. It happens so regularly it should be given "hoodoo" status. It must play on their minds. Subtle psychological forces that take hold unbidden and invite the opposition back into into the game. Week after week.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
SOS was put in that position whether it was other peoples faults leading up to it. What I am trying to say is good coaching would be practicing during the week various scenarios and what to do in in that scenario. Its obvious to me this isnt happening, so there isnt good coaching going on.

Look up Bill Belichik and the New England Patriots. One of the reasons why they managed to win so many SuperBowls was he took his team through scenarios over and over and over that may or may not happen in a game until it became second nature to them. The Warriors are not doing this. That is why when things turn ( the buzz word is momentum) they dont know what to do. Its players being idiots, but its also bad coaching.
Its taken me awhile to come to this conclusion, but Brown is Matt Elliot Mk 2. Just another fraud. The only way this team will ever turn the corner is if they get Bellamy. Thats it.
The bloke wasn’t even playing until about 20 hours earlier lol. He’s the back up guy, the guy most of us appreciate probably isn’t our best asset, but you crucify the coach for not having drilled in to him every possible scenario on the field.
Every player can’t have every scenario covered. Especially when things outside of their control (injuries, Covid, players pulling out late) continue to happen. They just can’t.
Brown isn’t the saviour, but he’s far from the reason we’re losing these close ones

Look back at our history.
Is this new?
Has it happened to multiple coaches?
So now what is the underlying issue if those answers are yes?

Big Marn

Juniors
The bloke wasn’t even playing until about 20 hours earlier lol. He’s the back up guy, the guy most of us appreciate probably isn’t our best asset, but you crucify the coach for not having drilled in to him every possible scenario on the field.
Every player can’t have every scenario covered. Especially when things outside of their control (injuries, Covid, players pulling out late) continue to happen. They just can’t.
Brown isn’t the saviour, but he’s far from the reason we’re losing these close ones
so what do you think the players do all week? It doesnt look to me like they do anything. Backline moves are non existant. The Pompey/Kosi side is a joke. There is absolutely nothing creating cracks in the opposition defence apart from individual brilliance. ie RTS and Walsh.
And Walsh is just a godsend for Brown that just fell into his lap by sheer dumb luck. We would be 3-12 if not for Walsh. And so it goes back to the coaching.

Latest posts