What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad Goodbye or Happy Goodbye

Happy or Sad about loosing Gaz

• Wooohooo

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Boo Hoo

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Pffffttt

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
I was pretty sad for a while but now developed into a meh approach in that he wants to go, he can go.

juanfarkall

Coach
If I could be farked and if he did dog the rest of the season, I would almost consider making a "How many euros does a Tazo cost ?" banner. But I doubt that he would be worth the effort if he did dog it.

SerbDragon

Coach
this whole wave of negative emotion will cease..when we piss him off for good. till then ill remain gnashing my teeth.

bring on dell ffs, give us what we want.

The Preacher

First Grade
I voted pfffftt, and the reason for doing so goes by the name of P.Doust. I don't give a rat's arse what defence he or anybody else puts up in his defence, that prick has cost us Gaz. No correspondence need be entered into.

There is no doubt Gaz is a asset to us due to his abilities but i cannot say his abilities have done alot for us over the last 15 weeks..
Rounds 1 and 2 he scored tries but from then on he has not got any tries..

The best centre in the world cannot tackle for shi* and has allowed possibly more tries in then Colin Best had in 2005 as our winger...

It's a pain in the ass that we invested alot of our salary cap into him to retain him (especially over the last 2 contracts) and have lost dozens of players due to this outlay.

I won't say i'm sad but i am upset that the name Gasnier is being removed from our club once again..

The positives of him leaving stand out way beyond the loss of him as a attacking player..

i hope he lays the snail trail out thick so we can have a third generation Gaz gracing our club in around 18 years..

Last edited:

Syren

Juniors
There is no doubt Gaz is a asset to us due to his abilities but i cannot say his abilities have done alot for us over the last 15 weeks..
Rounds 1 and 2 he scored tries but from then on he has not got any tries..

The best centre in the world cannot tackle for shi* and has allowed possibly more tries in then Colin Best had in 2005 as our winger...

It's a pain in the ass that we invested alot of our salary cap into him to retain him (especially over the last 2 contracts) and have lost dozens of players due to this outlay.

I won't say i'm sad but i am upset that the name Gasnier is being removed from our club once again..

The positives of him leaving stand out way beyond the loss of him as a attacking player..

i hope he lays the snail trail out thick so we can have a third generation Gaz gracing our club in around 18 years..

I hope the 3rd gen Gaz hate Union!

m0j0

Bench
Very poorly timed. You have ruined that fine name you carry. You have even ruined the World Cup that you endorsed. Of course its about the dollar. Don't shift blame. You even complained about the friken Tazo's Shove that Tazo up ya yourself. You let everyone down.
May have been brought up elsewhere, but you've been quoted. Pity they left out the Tazo bit:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24028097-23214,00.html
Paul Kent on Fox Sports web site said:
Fans fed up with price of Gaz

By David Hall
July 16, 2008 RUGBY league fans would rather say goodbye to money-hungry NRL players than abolish the salary cap or change the system to keep big names, according to a Foxsports.com.au poll.
St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier is the latest high-profile player to be lured by the big bucks on offer from European clubs, opting for a switch to rugby union with French side Stade Francais.
More than 3000 league fans have voted in our online poll on how they believe the player exodus to cashed-up overseas clubs can be stopped - with a strong majority saying the NRL should just let them go.
Many Foxsports.com.au users voted that the NRL should look to abolish the salary cap and increase players’ wages in order to keep our biggest stars at home - but in the current economic climate, it is perhaps not surprising that the majority are not convinced by players’ claims that they aren’t paid enough.
Gasnier’s decision has split the league community, leaving many fans once again bemoaning the seeming lack of loyalty in modern players.
As Dragons fans face up to losing their best player at the end of the season, many have turned against their captain and are already looking to the future with incoming coach Wayne Bennett.
Just as in our poll, supporters have made their feelings clear on fan websites.
“You have ruined that fine name you carry. You have even ruined the World Cup that you endorsed. Of course it’s about the dollar. Don't shift blame. You let everyone down,” posted Redwhitedragon.
“My biggest wish is that he never comes back. I wonder how the blokes who took pay cuts to keep him and Barrett feel now? Next year and Wayne Bennett can't come quickly enough!” said Bazookabarry
Steve Murphy of Wollongong commented: “We’re asked to drive 70km in the cold to watch games in empty stadiums that cost a fortune. People like Gaz forget the fans paying to watch made him what he is today.”
Gasnier’s decision has also stirred up debate among those who have played the game.
Queensland and Brisbane great Gorden Tallis wrote in his newspaper column that the Dragons will not miss the underperforming Gasnier and that the skipper’s motivations are all too clear.
“The simple reason Gasnier wants out is cash and cash alone,” Tallis said. “That's fine - I like an earn as much as the next guy - but Gasnier shouldn't pretend his motivation is anything else.
“I know Gasnier and I like the guy, but in the end rugby league has done more than enough to keep him in the NRL. If he still wants to go, hand his Test, Origin and Dragons jumpers to a kid that really wants to be here.”
New South Wales legend Andrew Johns has commented that if the NRL don’t do more to stop the likes of Gasnier from being tempted abroad, it won’t be long before all our best players head north in search of riches.
“Gasnier is just the tip of the iceberg,” Johns said. “The real fear now is what happens when these cashed-up European rugby clubs come after the Inglis', the Slaters and the Folaus of our game.”
All league fans understand the NRL is battling in an increasingly competitive sports market, both in terms of dollars and participation, and to try to match the bottomless pockets of European clubs would be foolhardy.
If, as so many players say, they play in the NRL out of love for the game, at what price does that love cease? And if the likes of Gasnier can’t accept a wage of in the region of half a million dollars per season, it’s no wonder Foxsports.com.au users say “the NRL doesn’t need the blokes.”

Southernsaint

Staff member
I picked "Boo Hoo", only because there was no option for "for f**k's sake, not again".

In English Premier League parlance, we are now a "selling club" and the player agents will bend us over for years to come regarding player signing / renewals. The bloke seems incapable of negotiating a decent contract - I can do better on Football manager 2007...