What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saddest song

Rexxy

Coach
Ive tried and tried but Tim's music has never done a thing for me. Leaves me stone cold. Each song just seems "smug" and tries to hard to be clever.

Someone should start a band called The Kerrs, and get them to sack The Whitlam's.

brook said:
On that we'll have to disagree ;-)

Personally I find that pretty much all of the really moving whitlams songs (along with the best of their party songs) were written when stevie was still alive (although some of them were not released until after his death).

The Charlie series are probably the best that Tim has done on his own though - I love Charlie number 1 myself.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ones I like:

- Handbags and Gladrags: Rod Stewart
- My December: Linkin Park
- Brick: Ben Fold's Five
- St. Patrick's Day: John Mayer
- Comfortable: John Mayer
- Everybody Hurts: The Corrs/REM
- Hurt: Johnny Cash
- In Loving Memory: Alter Bridge
- One Last Breath: Creed
- Xmas Day: Sevendust
- Hallelujah: Rufus Wainwright/Jeff Buckley
- The First Cut is the Deepest: Cat Stevens

I could go on...

brook

First Grade
Rexxy said:
Ive tried and tried but Tim's music has never done a thing for me. Leaves me stone cold. Each song just seems "smug" and tries to hard to be clever.

I tend to agree on the most part (he has written a few decent songs, generally I find when he's singing about his ex bandmates and actually lets himself get a little emotional)

However before Stevies death and eternal nightcap the whitlams as a band did have some really emotional songs end of your world and shining are two highlights that come to mind

and Tim is easier to take when he's singing less than half the songs on an album

brooksy19

Bench
HevyDevy said:
Sometimes being morose can be quite uplifting in a strange sort of way. It's an emotional release I guess or something along those lines.
That because those songs make you relaise your not alone feeling sad at times of loss/heart ache.

My personally fav is Johhny Cash's cover of Hurt. When Eddie Guerrero died they made a video tribute with that song, I actually cired a little.

brook

First Grade
brooksy19 said:
Wow, nobody's listed Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye. ?

good point

Jeff was really the master of sad songs though, Hallelujah is my favourite for when I'm in a melancholy mood.

Misanthrope

Staff member
For some reason:

The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
The End of Innocence - Bruce Hornsby and Don Henley
It's Alright - Atomic Kitten

crazy john

Juniors
Going through a recent breakup there's been a couple on high rotation:

Counting Crows - Colorblind
Ryan Adams - Cry On Demand
Whiskeytown - Everything I Do
The Smiths - I Know It's Over

go_the_doggies

Juniors
P Diddy & Faith Evans - I'll be missing you

Sometimes really randomly R Kelly's song Worlds Greatest song makes me sad lol...random

Also another sad song is nikleback - far away

hrundi99

First Grade
go_the_doggies said:
P Diddy & Faith Evans - I'll be missing you

Sometimes really randomly R Kelly's song Worlds Greatest song makes me sad lol...random

Also another sad song is nikleback - far away

Anything by Nickelback makes me cry.

brendothejet

First Grade
Look no matter what the song i'll never laugh at someone for feeling sentimental over it....

until i hear people talk about nickelback. pfft what a nuffie band.

Simo

First Grade
I have been downloading a heap of these songs I had never heard of as I love a good sad song. I dont want to offend anyones choices as they obviously have different memorys and feelings attached to the songs but here is my impressions of a few I hadnt heard before:

So far I have liked 'U2 mothers of the disapeared' although at first it did nothing for me, it just grew on me and I like it.

'Deep purple when a blind man cries' I got both the album and live versions, really dig it. Great guitar work can always make a top sad song.

Songs that havent done anything for me as of yet:

'The smiths I know its over'
'Radiohead Fake platic trees' 'Thinking about you' of pablo honey is my fav radiohead sad song!
'Joy Division atmosphere' They do Love will tear us apart aswell dont they?

I like these threads, gives me a chance to sample some knew sad tunes - im d/l the everclear songs now!