What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saint Benny the greatest of all time!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And your premiership drought is starting to get close to 31 years, is it not?

Yeah 24. But the asterisk next to 2009 will always be there, which is some comfort.

It's also been a whopping 27 years since won 3 in a row. Anyway we had enough success in the 80s to last 40 years so it's only fair somebody else gets a turn.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
'92, '93, '10
Oh good, that'd be the last decade (1991-2000) and the current (2001-2010), in the non Roman, Greek or Aztec calendars.

Poupou Escobar said:
Don't you know your history?
I know it well enough to know that Bennett wasn't our coach when we lost in '92 and '93.

Poupou Escobar said:
Or aren't you including the years before the merger?
I see the history of St George from it's parish days and it's evolution from the timber-getting years of the 1800s when everything south of the Cooks River was known as the Illawarra and the traditional owners of the land were still speaking a language unique to the world. I see the history of the Dragons from when rugby league was first mentioned in St George in 1907 in the publication The St George Call, and the subsequent NSWRL meeting at Rockdale Town Hall in 1908 when St George rugby union players attended and a St George DRLFC was formed along with the election of a club president.

Far enough back for you?

2010Dragons

Bench
The best thing to happen to this club in all my time supporting the Dragons was the appointment of Wayne Bennett. He came, he saw, he delivered, heres hoping that he sees out the rest of his coaching career at the Dragons. I love Wayne Bennett, simply the best.

I agree 100%
He has more vision and man management skills than all of the other coaches put together.
I have read his two books and it really motivates me, I can't wait to see him soon and get him to sign my books. :)

Minh

First Grade
Gotta get a hold of those books, deadset anyone not just footballers can benefit from the wisdom of Wayne Bennett. The great man can truly see and teach what us mere mortals cannot, I honestly believe that.

2010Dragons

Bench
Gotta get a hold of those books, deadset anyone not just footballers can benefit from the wisdom of Wayne Bennett. The great man can truly see and teach what us mere mortals cannot, I honestly believe that.

Minh, I would recommend his book "Don't die with the music in you"

Whiles others collections stamps and coins, Bennett collects quotes from all walks of life. He has so many meaningful quotes which he uses on his players and anyone he is helping.

I remember at the stadium on GF day at half time I was watching the big screen and noticed the camera was in the Roosters shed, Brian Smith doing his usually overzealous talk to his players, drawing lines and circles, pointing at players, throwing his arms around like at panicking robot (danger,danger... lost in space..showing my ages). To me it look like the roosters players were about to Sh*t their shorts.
Then the cameras switches over to the Dragons sheds and there is Wayne Bennett cool, claim and very focus. Having one on one talks with his men.....NO arm waving, NO drawing lines and circles and no panic. He believes in saying less and getting more across, always keeping it smiple.
Bennett believes in the KISS method,

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
Thanks 2010Dragons, I'll definately get that book as soon as i get back from holidays, I planned my holiday for 04/10/2010 and as luck would have it, we won the comp.

I had a gut feeling that this was our year especially with Wayne there and the boys the way they turned a negative(2009) and played so well all season. You were right in your analysis of half time when I saw Wayne talking calmly with Fein and Soward in hindsight it just shows the class of the man.

I have to admit I was worried at half time but I believe Bennett was confident that we would win. I'm going to buy the book because the man is an inspiration to me not only as a footy coach but a life coach and what he has done for so many people. As a Siants fan I can't thank him enough for what he's done and that's not just because we won the comp but hey it feels awesome to be premiers.

smi962

First Grade
He is like a fine wine, he improves with age. What he has done with the Dragons over the past two seasons are his greatest achievements as a coach, trump anything he did at the Broncos with the talent/resources he had an offer there.

I wonder if the 92-93 Bennet model would have been as effective as a Dragons coach as the 2009-2010 model.

Minh

First Grade
I personally don't think so, I think the 2010 model(Bennett) is by far the superior simply on aura alone, pus 20 odd years of extra experience.

Minh

First Grade
The best news we can hear now or in the near future is if Wayne extends his contract with us.

Wobbygong

First Grade
The best news we can hear now or in the near future is if Wayne extends his contract with us.

I agree, but I have a feeling 2011 will be it as far as Saint Wayne goes. As long as they don't give Price the job (which there has been talk of) i'LL BE HAPPY.

I don't care that he's spent a couple of seasons under Bennett, we learned a long & hard lesson with Brown for 6 seasons about inexperienced coaches who weren't ready for the step up, I couldn't go through that again.

Minh

First Grade
Most people seem to be of the opinion that Benny's leaving after 2011 so that's a real worry cos Boyd will follow him out as well. Definately would not like to relive the Brown era no disrespect to Browny he did a decent job for a rookie coach, but whoever we get if that's the case in 2012 it'll be a significant downgrade from Wayne IMO.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
What impressed me about Bennett on GF day was his commitment to the fans. He slapped and shook every hand offered to him after the sciren went. He 'gets' what St. George is all about and the rough road we've travelled since '79. He would rate this victory high on his achievements I would imagine.

Even in the heat of a Grand Final he was planning on the future of the club. He gave Merrin a 9min sniff of a GF when he could have sent him out in the 1st half or rolled him out when we'd cleared out on Easts in the last 3rd of the game. Merrin will have a hunger next season to be the leading prop, he was one of our best in 2010, but he'll be a wreaking machine in 2011.

Big Norm

Minh

First Grade
Merrin will be one of the best props going around in few years time I reckon, future SOO player, and Prior's work in the GF was also first class.