What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints about to go out in straight sets....new balls please

Firey_Dragon

Coach
According to the Macintyre haters under any other system StGeorge would have been instantly installed into the Grand Final as minor premiers and would have faced the dapto under 12's for the title. If anything StGeorge's performance shows the strength of the macintyre system, if your not playing well its extremely hard to win the comp. that is how it should be.
The system is fundamentally flawed because it rewards teams who are inconsistent. Teams just need to be in good form at the time, and instantly they are rewarded, even if they were sh*thouse for most of the comp. If we had a comp with 20+ teams, then the mcintyre system would be great, because you'd need to win at least 60% of your games to make the finals, which means you were pretty consistent. As it stands at the moment, you can get teams who have a good 5 week run into the finals, and if they get past that first week, they are on equal terms, even if they were terrible for most of the season.

The McIntyre system works when you don't have half your comp qualifying for the finals. There is some genuine competition for that top 8 in that case. As it stands you can have teams winning 10-12 more games than 8th place but if they have an off day in a final, automatically that is wiped. It rewards inconsistency. If you come in the bottom 4, you should have the hardest run ALL the way through the finals. 1 or 2 games does not wipe a season of poor performance IMO. I've held that stance ever since it came in, whether we were in the top 4, bottom 4 or outside the 8.

It should be 1 v 4, 2 v 3, 5 v 8, 6 v 7. Winners of bottom 4 play losers of top 4, at their home region or venue. Then winners of that progress to semis, then to grand final.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
So your problem is not mcintyre it is 8 teams making the finals
I have no problem with 8 teams making the finals, I have a problem with using the mcintyre system in such a small competition. It rewards teams who just scrape into the 8 and hit a little bit of form. If it was tougher to make the 8, then the system would work. As it stands, theoretically a team doesn't even need to win 50% of their games to make the 8, and they can get a home final in the 2nd week of the finals, teams who perform like that deserve the toughest possible run to the grand final, the current system doesn't provide that.

adamkungl

Immortal
No inconsitent team has ever been rewarded by the McIntyre system.

But on the number of teams in the finals, it should stay at 8 even if/when the comp expands to 18 or 20. I suspect those in charge would then go and make a 10 team finals series though. yuck.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I have a problem with 8.

Should be 5 with only 16 teams.

But money runs the world.
I too would prefer the 5 team system, but I'm a realist, it'll never happen again. The top provides a better spectacle I suppose for more fans, which is a good thing. But the system in place needs to change.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
No inconsitent team has ever been rewarded by the McIntyre system.
Eels v Titans in Sydney tonight
Broncos v Dragons in Brisbane tomorrow

Melbourne getting pipped by Warriors last year, had to play in Brisbane week 2 from memory
Two teams who were pretty consistent all season are playing against teams who were pretty inconsistent away. How is that not rewarding inconsistency?

It wouldn't be a problem if all the teams were in a single state so no home ground advantages could be gained from regional stadiums. But it's not the case.

adamkungl

Immortal
Eels v Titans in Sydney tonight
Broncos v Dragons in Brisbane tomorrow

Melbourne getting pipped by Warriors last year, had to play in Brisbane week 2 from memory
Two teams who were pretty consistent all season are playing against teams who were pretty inconsistent away. How is that not rewarding inconsistency?

It wouldn't be a problem if all the teams were in a single state so no home ground advantages could be gained from regional stadiums. But it's not the case.

The only real reward is winning the comp...if they're inconsistent they won't win it.

But haven't Broncos and Parra won something like 6/6 and 5/6 of their last games respectively? Seem pretty consistent to me. As opposed to the minor premiers, who have lost 3 times in the last 4 weeks.

Playing the team in 8th with a week off for what should be an easy win is the biggest reward you can get.

Evenflow

Bench
Were any St George fans whinging last year when the Storm suffered exactly the same fate? Of course not. The way i see it, once the finals come along it's like a whole new mini comp so to speak. The top two teams get a massive advantage/reward for their consistancy throughout the season by going straight through to the prelim final should they win week one. Why should the advantages keep continuing should you lose in week one?

Yes the MP had a great year but they get the home final first up against the lowest ranked side, as mentioned a direct path straight to the prelim should they win not to mention a second chance if they lose. How many advantages do they need? Why should they keep getting the advantages if they don't capitalize on the many they do get in the first place? Talk about getting an armchair ride to the should the top 2 sides lose the first week but continue to get home ground advantage :roll:

We should keep getting chances until we start winning again ffs you love us. Admit it.

Also evenflow, I wasn't on LU last year but was not happy that Melb had to get to the final the hard way after being beaten once by a team that won 55% of the regular season games, but to their credit they went on to beat Brisbane and Cronulla.

adamkungl

Immortal
When Roosters had to play Warriors at Mt Smart last year I felt that we deserved it after losing.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
sorry i don't venture here much, who is moffo and what is his claim to fame.
Worst tipper ever. Seriously EVER.

If moffo backs a dishlicker, it dies when it catches the rabbit before the winning post.

If moffo backs a horse, it falls and gets shot dead on track.

If moffo backs a soccer team, there is riot at at the end of the game and the team he tipped losses players to violent death.

If moffo backs the AU dollar to go up, we have a ressession. People starve to death.

If moffo backs your team to win, you are farked and so are they.

big pat

Coach
Worst tipper ever. Seriously EVER.

If moffo backs a dishlicker, it dies when it catches the rabbit before the winning post.

If moffo backs a horse, it falls and gets shot dead on track.

If moffo backs a soccer team, there is riot at at the end of the game and the team he tipped losses players to violent death.

If moffo backs the AU dollar to go up, we have a ressession. People starve to death.

If moffo backs your team to win, you are farked and so are they.

what, a worst tipster out there than me, unbelieveable, when i walk into my local tab, the manager starts rubbing his is hands together.

Kenny Powers

Juniors
I'm getting sick of the Dragons fans whinging about the Finals system. You f**king lost, deal with it. You win finals games and then you get rewarded. You should be all happy that you get to run around for one more week.

big pat

Coach
I'm getting sick of the Dragons fans whinging about the Finals system. You f**king lost, deal with it. You win finals games and then you get rewarded. You should be all happy that you get to run around for one more week.

i'm not whingeing about anything, actually i'm very happy.

Latest posts