What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints are completely f**ked - McGregor sacked

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
FTR he narrowed down three choices.

He wanted out of England and the rain and French people.

Florida, Capetown or Brisbane.

He chose Brissy.

I love him so.

Munky

Coach
If the Dragons win next week they'll give Mary a three year extension won't they?

I recall that happening a few years back after three in a row.

BennyV

Referee
If the Dragons win next week they'll give Mary a three year extension won't they?

I recall that happening a few years back after three in a row.
I believe it was last year!

Anyway, next week will show how strategic the Roosters really are. Do they completely tank in order to ensure that May remains and receives an extension, thus reducing the number of potential rivals for the premiership for years to come?

Or do they put in about 5% effort and put 50 on us?

davi

Juniors
Better extend his deal Saints. The Bulldogs are looking for a new coach.

Ironiclly on Sunday Footy show inside the 10 they asked if a decision had to be made on Paul McGregor future after the Bulldogs decided to move on from Dean Pay. One of the panaleist responded no, because unlike Pay, McGregor is contracted until next year. However, he added that they will have to make a decision on him in the offseason.

I'm not so sure. I just don't buy the mentaltiy you have to either fire someone or extend them with a year left on their contract. If they do fire McGregor in the offseason that pretty much rules out Shane Flanagan chances of becomeing head coach. One of the panelist suggested the Dragons may look to fire him because they don't want to miss the boat of one of their more preffered choices in Wayne Bennett or Craig Fitzgibbon. Dragons will only have to pay out half of his contract in the last year which will be a factor in the decision making process.

I know the Dragons only beat the lowly Bulldogs yesterday but there looking better. Roles are more defined and the combos there got are working at the moment. Gus Gould bemoaned Dragons paying 1.2 million for Ben Hunt using him at Hooker. If I was the Dragons I would rather play him at hooker and get some production then not play him at all while paying him 1.2 million.

I was wondering when this thread was gonna get bumped.

With 20 minutes to go yesterday I thought it was a certainty to get more airtime.

But on the age-old subject of McGregor, unless they completely capitulate for the rest of this year I’m sure he’ll see out his contract. And if they exceed expectations and make the finals, and go deep into them.. they might keep him on longer - which I wouldn’t be against at all.

SBD82

Coach
Beating an injury riddled Manly being led by Daly at his worst, then getting kissed on the dick to beat the worst roster in the comp.

I don’t see how the OP has been proven wrong.

jargan83

Coach
Ironiclly on Sunday Footy show inside the 10 they asked if a decision had to be made on Paul McGregor future after the Bulldogs decided to move on from Dean Pay. One of the panaleist responded no, because unlike Pay, McGregor is contracted until next year. However, he added that they will have to make a decision on him in the offseason.

I'm not so sure. I just don't buy the mentaltiy you have to either fire someone or extend them with a year left on their contract. If they do fire McGregor in the offseason that pretty much rules out Shane Flanagan chances of becomeing head coach. One of the panelist suggested the Dragons may look to fire him because they don't want to miss the boat of one of their more preffered choices in Wayne Bennett or Craig Fitzgibbon. Dragons will only have to pay out half of his contract in the last year which will be a factor in the decision making process.

I know the Dragons only beat the lowly Bulldogs yesterday but there looking better. Roles are more defined and the combos there got are working at the moment. Gus Gould bemoaned Dragons paying 1.2 million for Ben Hunt using him at Hooker. If I was the Dragons I would rather play him at hooker and get some production then not play him at all while paying him 1.2 million.

You wouldn't think that an off contract Bald Avenger (cheers @AlwaysGreen) would be in demand to be signed by another club, so you would think the Dragons can take the time to assess if they want a replacement etc.

But of course I'm talking about the Dragons board so they're probably already working on a 3 year extension for Mary.

St.Merge is not completely farked.

That’s a bit over the top.

They still have one of the longest serving coaches in the competition.

Now why would you being keeping him if you weren’t getting success on the field.

The board should be commended for maintaining stability at the Club.

They have the best hooker in the game.

Even better than Cameron Smith as they are paying him 1.2million per season.

They are also a very charitable Club as they have allowed Corey Norman to maintain a Rugba League career when no other Club would have him.

They are also allowing one of the best backrowers in the game to leave in Tyson Frizell so he can play for a team that has a chance to win a Premiership in the future.

They also have one of the best junior pathway systems with players getting to play 1 or 2 First Grade games to showcase their talents before being dropped and have their choice of any NRL Club to pursue as their contract runs out.

And finally and the most important point.

Which other Club would give those bums the Sims brothers an NRL contract despite spending most of the season off the field through injury and suspension??

It is a very special Club.

For special supporters.

Special players.

And for a very special coach!

BennyV

Referee
That’s 3 clubs now looking for a new coach. 4 if Donkeys don’t turn it around.

Dragons better lock McGregor up for the long term quickly, otherwise he’ll get poached. Not everyone can beat half a Manly side or make a lucky comeback against a reserve-grade quality Dogs...

pantherz9103

First Grade
Dragons were lucky to beat a very poor side on the weekend, their celebration at the end was extremely cringeworthy to be honest. LOL@CoreyNorman what a clown that guy is.

Admittedly they are playing better than they were 6 weeks ago (not hard) but the big question is, are they ever going to really challenge for a premiership with Mary? They have only won 1 semi final in the past 6 years. Last year they were pathetic and came 2nd last, this year they are not well favoured to make the 8 and if they did they would likely be bounced out quick. They need a better coach than Mary to maximise the potential of what should be powerful merged entity.

This Year?

Immortal
Dragons were lucky to beat a very poor side on the weekend, their celebration at the end was extremely cringeworthy to be honest. LOL@CoreyNorman what a clown that guy is.

Admittedly they are playing better than they were 6 weeks ago (not hard) but the big question is, are they ever going to really challenge for a premiership with Mary? They have only won 1 semi final in the past 6 years. Last year they were pathetic and came 2nd last, this year they are not well favoured to make the 8 and if they did they would likely be bounced out quick. They need a better coach than Mary to maximise the potential of what should be powerful merged entity.
I don't often defend the Dragons but in this instance I will. I know that post try celebration was cringe, but there's some charity thing for post try celebrations in July, plus Corey probably had to give himself an applause because that will be the most he has ever contributed to a win in 2020. One good thing that might come from it is he may have to isolate after breaching the NRL's bio-security measures

Hutty1986

Immortal

1 semi final win in TEN years.

1 semi final win in TEN years.

Would you rather be..

The Titans? Last in the top 4 of the comp the year we won it in 2010.. Never won a comp, last years' wooden spooners
The Eels? Convicted salary cap cheats and last won a comp in 1986..And the most spoons won of all current clubs (aside from JV's) - 14, including 3 this century. The Uri Geller of Rugby League
The Storm? Convicted salary cap cheats, and from Victoria.. Wooden Spooners in 2010.
The Bulldogs? Convicted Salary Cap Cheats AND Dunces. Haven't won a comp since 2003, A board that's less harmonious than the Gallagher brothers. Now running dead last, no major sponsor - all after making the GF in 2014.
The Sharks? Convicted of peptides - but spoon winners in 2014! What a year!, Premiership CEO and fullback sacked from marching powder, Premiership winning coach stood down twice, and eventually deregistered, 1 competition win in 53 years...
The Warriors? No competition wins, no new head coach appointed, getting flogged every second week. But alas - no spoons!
The Tigers? One competition in over 50 years, in the same time the dragons have won 3. And with a grand total of 21 Spooooons between JV clubs.
The Cowboys? Gone from Title winners in 2015, Grand Finalists in 2017, to finishing 14th only 2 years later. Now currently 12th and sacked their coach. The biggest and fall from grace of all clubs this decade. Also - Thrice Spooooooners.
The Rabbitohs? One Competition win in almost 50 years, 8 wooden spoons - 3 this century.
The Knights? Three Spoons in the last 5 years, consecutively. Last competition win was 2001. However have made finals twice in 10 years, so maybe that helps their case?
The Raiders? Haven't won a comp since 1994, and one grand final appearance since - which they lost.
The Panthers? Last won in 2003. A Club renowned for sacking and paying multiple coaches, champions of whatsapp and Tiktok videos, and 4 spoooons - two this century.
The Broncos? Last won a comp in 2006, Currently 2nd last, getting flogged to nil on numerous occasions, talk of sacking their coach over 3 seasons before his contract runs out....
The Roosters? ....Hmmmm. But would you REALLY prefer to be the Roosters??

How about the Bears? Jets? Crushers? Reds? Rams? Mariners?

Pretty good choices there.

Oh - almost forgot..

The Sea Eagles? ..... No Spoons ever, last won a comp in 2011.......... a team the Dragons beat 34-4 two rounds ago...

Go Manly!

Latest posts