What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints signing gidley and asotasi

WJ

Juniors
They are also thought to be extending hooper and fozzards deals at the club and anderson is considering another year instead of retirement.

They have also tabled an offer for chev walker (to play at second row where he is best) and are in the lead to sign morley.

They have also shown an interest in frank pritchard and have offered him something almost too good to refuse.

bartman

Immortal
Haven't 10 clubs put in bids for Morley? Lucky guy, can basically pick and choose all while I think he's still under contract at Roosters.

Heard a rumour that Bradford were trying to lure Nathan Hindmarsh to come over despite being under contract... might've just been wishful thinking from a Bulls fan though.

WJ

Juniors
Just heard tahu has also accepted a lucrative deal (5 years) from saints and will join next year to play on the wing.

damo72

Juniors
WJ said:
Just heard tahu has also accepted a lucrative deal (5 years) from saints and will join next year to play on the wing.

There is no way T would sign anywhere to play on the wing, Nice try

Frederick

Staff member
I don't see how the title could claim "saints signing gidley", when all that has happened is St Helens have made an informal bid for Matt Gidley, who'd contracted to the Knights until the end of 2007 anyway.

Lowey3

Juniors
WJ is just crying over the fact Leeds are sh*te ans in totall decline!!!

We have made offers for Walker, Gidley and Asotasi - with us only wanting to sign 2 out of the three.

Paul Anderson and Jamie Lyon will definately leave and Jason Hooper will follow.

Paul Anderson - Roy Asotasi

Jamie Lyon - Matt Gidley

Jason Hooper - Chev Waler or another British forward.

Stop crying James!! it's not our fault Leeds have such sh*te recruitment.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Lowey3 said:
Paul Anderson - Roy Asotasi

Jason Hooper - Chev Waler or another British forward.

Chev said he isn't leaving Leeds to go to another SL club, he wants to come to the NRL.

Would Hooper leaving be to free quota space for Asotasi?

Listening to the list of 'potential' Saints signings is almost as long and laughable as listening to hear who Chelsea will sign.

It's all very well and good throwing these names around but how can Saints afford them? It makes me laugh how they are affording to pay all there 'stars' at the moment.

There is no way in this world that St Helens are keeping under the salary cap. This is a team who were in financial difficulty not so long ago and a team that doesn't exactly draw massive crowds.

So, where is the money coming from?

Lowey3

Juniors
Stan's Number 1 Fan!!! said:
Listening to the list of 'potential' Saints signings is almost as long and laughable as listening to hear who Chelsea will sign.

We've been linked with Asotasi and a any right centre to replace Lyon - not exactly a full list!

It's all very well and good throwing these names around but how can Saints afford them? It makes me laugh how they are affording to pay all there 'stars' at the moment.

Saints have one of the smallest squads in super league - last year Bradfod had the likes of Parker, Reardon, Radford who couldent make the squad of 17 cus the team was that good and Paul Johnson was out for most of the season.

There is no way in this world that St Helens are keeping under the salary cap. This is a team who were in financial difficulty not so long ago and a team that doesn't exactly draw massive crowds.

What the fook has money got to do with anything ? we have the same salary cap as most of the clubs in super league. You dont pay fees for players when they're out of contract.

We're also making a profit each year now because of a great job by the two Mc's.

Our crowds are the third highest in super league, behind only Leeds and Wigan - not too bad i'd say, shag!

So, where is the money coming from?

Again it's comming from the cap we're allowed to spend - just like Bradford, Leeds and Wigan.

We go for quality rather than quantity.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Lowey3 said:
We've been linked with Asotasi and a any right centre to replace Lyon - not exactly a full list!

You link yourselves with any centre you want though. So far I've heard:

Gasnier
Cooper (who re-signed in about February anyway)
Toopi
Walker (he said he won't go to another SL club, but apparently Saints are an exception)
Tahu (isn't even off contract)
Gidley (" ")
Vagana

And considering that's just centres, I think that's a pretty big list of players that who supposedly have or had "done deals" with St. Helens.

Lowey3

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
You link yourselves with any centre you want though. So far I've heard:

Gasnier
Cooper (who re-signed in about February anyway)
Toopi
Walker (he said he won't go to another SL club, but apparently Saints are an exception)
Tahu (isn't even off contract)
Gidley (" ")
Vagana

And considering that's just centres, I think that's a pretty big list of players that who supposedly have or had "done deals" with St. Helens.

Can you pleae provide links ?

I havent seen us linked with the likes of Tahu - maybe a Saints fan has said he would love to sign Tahu but we've definately not been linked with him.

Toopi
Walker
Gidley

Have all been linked in the press and we're most probably negotiating with all three at the moment - incase our number target doesent come off. Stevo said today that Gidley will be signing for Saints.

Again.. please provide links to stop you from losing credibility.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It is hardly Saints' fault that the club is linked with such stars.

Lets face it, when a player of the calibre of Jamie Lyon is rumoured to be leaving the club, its hardly being unrealistic to suggest players like Gidley, Tahu or Toopi would replace him is it. None of them are fit to tie Jamie's laces and none would command a salary similar to the one Lyon receives.

The press know Saints are probably looking for a centre, so they create stories about them based on heresay. A lot of the time the noise is made by the agents of the players in order to increase the price the player can get by making it appear they are in demand.

Obviously when agents go round quoting dream offers and names the clubs its pretty clear the player is considering the deal.

I think with Gidley now retired from representative games it fits with the timing of Saints offer. He will probably be replacing Lyon.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
If jamie has been your best import ever, then tahu would be the 2nd best

but i dunno were that rumour came from, hes still contracted and apart from this thread i have not heard anywere that he wants out of his contract.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Lowey3 said:
Can you pleae provide links ?

I havent seen us linked with the likes of Tahu - maybe a Saints fan has said he would love to sign Tahu but we've definately not been linked with him.

Toopi
Walker
Gidley

Have all been linked in the press and we're most probably negotiating with all three at the moment - incase our number target doesent come off. Stevo said today that Gidley will be signing for Saints.

Again.. please provide links to stop you from losing credibility.

Why would I save links of rumours from Saints fans? It was all from RLFans, that's all I know.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
BlueNGoldBlood said:
If jamie has been your best import ever, then tahu would be the 2nd best

but i dunno were that rumour came from, hes still contracted and apart from this thread i have not heard anywere that he wants out of his contract.

It probably isn't a rumour, more like wishful thinking. From putting two and two together.

It comes from his age, he is at that stage in his career where there is very little to offer him in the NRL that he hasn't already experienced. He's played Origin, he's played for Australia. The chance to take a massive contract from Super League will only come once and if he passes on it he will miss out on a deal which would set up his retirement nicely.

I'd say almost all decent NRL players start to think about playing in England once they are about 27/28. Obviously the very elite players like Lockyer can hold off these advances because they can still earn top dollar in Aus through off the field revenue, but the likes of Gidley, Tahu and Toopi aren't at that level.