What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Concessions for Storm

rossy

Juniors
No way should the Storm get a salary cap concession. It'd be unfair to all the other clubs. Maybe they should just make a small rise in the cap for everyone, say $250 000 or so.

:D

As a diehard melbourne storm fan, I can see both sides of the argument, and firmly believe that any salary cap concessions we were to recieve should be temporary. This is to avoid the stigma of being an nrl benefit club, as the brisbane lions and sydney swans are viewed by melbourne afl fans.
Yes, I feel that we should get a relocation allocation on a short term basis, but I feel the key area is to pump some money into the vrl and help to set up a junior program throughout the state. A successful club would certainly help to get juniors interested, but then they need somewhere to play!!

As for turning our backs on the club after the grand final (which I personally most certainly didn't, having been a member for the past 5 years, and 6 if you include next year which i've already paid for!!) this was due to the club changing grounds and killing off atmoshpere, by moving the club to a stadium that was already disliked by most patrons, being the telstra dome (colonial stadium). Nothing to do with the success of the club.

Surandy

Bench
Impellitteri said:
The only way for the Melbourne Storm to succeed is to get them the hell out of Melbourne

Okay, I'll bite....success? What do you call 1999?

I don't think Storm should get any salary cap concessions, relocation assistance, etc. The only help I think Storm should get is in the areas of junior development, broadcasting (we get bugger all support from Channel Nein down here and pretty much no radio coverage that I am aware of), and lastly help with lobbying/pressuring state and local government as Storm waste a fair amount of cash on a stadium that is not all that suited to league and has fairly ordinary facilities, and a social club of their own. At present Storm pay to have a tv screen set up for each home game and rent for a social club on home game days. I'm sure Reebs said to rent social club facilities for Storm fans/members costs nearly $70,000 for 12 days a year.

Storm's base membership has barely budged since the year following their premiership, here's the figures direct from the Storm:

Memberships have looked something like this since the club began in 1998:

1998: 2000 members (approx.)
1999: 3000
2000: 5000
2001: 4900
2002: 4800
2003: 4900

Memberships are looking very strong for the season ahead, particularly after
the success the club enjoyed this year.

Impellitteri, I look forward to see you at the Graveyard when Storm next play your team.

Surandy

XXXX

Juniors
salary cap concessions can help ,but you still need to find the extra money .The Sydney Swans don't use their concession because they haven't the money .

robbieando

Juniors
Of course the Storm should have some sort of consession, but what's the use unless junior development in Victoria isn't improved. Having ONE junior development officer in the entire state of Victoria is a joke when you consider that NSW has over 150 AFL JD officers. Consessions won't help bring in crowds and raise interest in RL in Melbourne, but grass roots programs will. Get into the schools more offen, promote an Auskick style programs to be run at RL clubs that already exist in Victoria. Subsitise junior clubs in Victoria, which hopefully means more clubs state up and cover Melbourne better.

The NRL has to join forces with the Storm, the VRL, and the ARL and decide on a plan that attacks the lack of interest in Victoria towards RL. However they have to be in it for the long run. No use after 5 years, deciding that not effect has come out of it so lets pull up and go home because that would defeat the point.

BTW XXXX the Swans didn't use the consession last year because of 2 reasons

1) Most of our high paid players (Schwass, Kelly, Dunkley and Lockett) retired leaving a huge amount of space in our cap and there was no way the Swans were going to spend the extra amount of just one replacement player (Davis) so List management resulted in us not using the extra space we recieve.

2) In an attempt to save money to limit the prospect of running at a loss during a rebuilding year we choose not to go after a big name player to use. As a result of not spending an extra $700,000 we managed to run at a very small profit, thanks to our finals run.

In-goal

Bench
But i'm still bitter about Mr.Ribot and the SL damage that he orchestrated - he should not be in a position of power anywhere in Rugby League, and till the day in which he isnt, i will continue to be against whatever he is for.....

firstly you ineptness never fails to surprise me.

Ok the way things are currently the storm will never have it's own juniors simply because there is less than 10 clubs in the state of Vic, money must be given and a fair amount to the VRL.

The plan for the VRL is to get something closer to 50 clubs across the whole state within 5-10 years through development of primary schools and all out promotion of the code.

Once Dead

Bench
In-goal said:
But i'm still bitter about Mr.Ribot and the SL damage that he orchestrated - he should not be in a position of power anywhere in Rugby League, and till the day in which he isnt, i will continue to be against whatever he is for.....

firstly you ineptness never fails to surprise me.

Ok the way things are currently the storm will never have it's own juniors simply because there is less than 10 clubs in the state of Vic, money must be given and a fair amount to the VRL.

The plan for the VRL is to get something closer to 50 clubs across the whole state within 5-10 years through development of primary schools and all out promotion of the code.

Dude, its getting old with the personal attack bull.....attack my opinion with some brains next time

Once Dead

Bench
Surandy said:
Impellitteri said:
The only way for the Melbourne Storm to succeed is to get them the hell out of Melbourne

Okay, I'll bite....success? What do you call 1999?

I don't think Storm should get any salary cap concessions, relocation assistance, etc. The only help I think Storm should get is in the areas of junior development, broadcasting (we get bugger all support from Channel Nein down here and pretty much no radio coverage that I am aware of), and lastly help with lobbying/pressuring state and local government as Storm waste a fair amount of cash on a stadium that is not all that suited to league and has fairly ordinary facilities, and a social club of their own. At present Storm pay to have a tv screen set up for each home game and rent for a social club on home game days. I'm sure Reebs said to rent social club facilities for Storm fans/members costs nearly $70,000 for 12 days a year.

Storm's base membership has barely budged since the year following their premiership, here's the figures direct from the Storm:

Memberships have looked something like this since the club began in 1998:

1998: 2000 members (approx.)
1999: 3000
2000: 5000
2001: 4900
2002: 4800
2003: 4900

Memberships are looking very strong for the season ahead, particularly after
the success the club enjoyed this year.

Impellitteri, I look forward to see you at the Graveyard when Storm next play your team.

Surandy

1999? Might as well talk about 1969....its not the here and now

Surandy

Bench
Impellitteri said:
1999? Might as well talk about 1969....its not the here and now

Okay, how about we talk about 2004 then?

Once again a lot of people are pretty much writing the Storm off. For 2003 we were rated to finish 9th or 10th, some of the same people rated the Sharks to finish 4th. This year I am hearing a lot of conjecture that Storm will finish 10th or 11th.

Do these people have no idea? As far as I know Storm currently has a fully fit squad with no serious operations required in the off-season. Given the depth of talent the club unearthed in 2003 who can seriously say that Storm won't make the finals in 2004?

Surandy

Bring on Round 2!!! Damn bye in Round 1. :cry: <SIGH> 11 weeks to go.

Glenn

First Grade
Definitly need some concessions for the Storm. They do have a junior base but no where near the levels of other clubs

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Of course the Storm should have some sort of consession, but what's the use unless junior development in Victoria isn't improved. Having ONE junior development officer in the entire state of Victoria is a joke when you consider that NSW has over 150 AFL JD officers. Consessions won't help bring in crowds and raise interest in RL in Melbourne, but grass roots programs will. Get into the schools more offen, promote an Auskick style programs to be run at RL clubs that already exist in Victoria. Subsitise junior clubs in Victoria, which hopefully means more clubs state up and cover Melbourne better.

The NRL has to join forces with the Storm, the VRL, and the ARL and decide on a plan that attacks the lack of interest in Victoria towards RL. However they have to be in it for the long run. No use after 5 years, deciding that not effect has come out of it so lets pull up and go home because that would defeat the point.

You said it perfectly Robbie. If the Storm DO get any concessions, it should be this way. Although I'd like to see a promotion concession where the NRL helps with marketing the Storm by providing a strictly controlled fund for this.

Of course there are other ways as well that dont cost a lot of money. Such as getting the boys out there in the public's eye. Maybe in teh Bourke St Mall doing promotional work. Having those target boards set up with Scott Hill firing rocket like passes into it. A few tumble matts and tackle bags set up. So on. Getting the Melbourne public getting a very up close and personal look at the players.

Taking the playings for a training run at some schools. Sending the players into schools for a few skill sessions with the students.

Its not hard! It certainly cant hurt.

Dani

Immortal
earlier last year there were alot of big poster/benner (whatever you call them) things up all over melbourne, and not this year but i think maybe two years ago i recieved a letter about getting the team to do a clinic at schools,
but not much has been done recently, when it has been needed.
but i agree, they need to be out somewhere public promothing the team themselves. ie bourke street mall like you suggested.

XXXX

Juniors
IMO two things are quite obvious .
The Storm Crowds have found thier level at 5k .
Vic RL isn't going anywhere unless there are some mighty big changes .
At present there is more reason for crowds and juniors to dip slightly rather than rise .But we'll know better at the end of 2004 and again someone will be proved right and someone wrong .

Surandy

Bench
XXXX said:
IMO two things are quite obvious .
The Storm Crowds have found thier level at 5k .
Vic RL isn't going anywhere unless there are some mighty big changes .
At present there is more reason for crowds and juniors to dip slightly rather than rise .But we'll know better at the end of 2004 and again someone will be proved right and someone wrong .

I think that the young guys in the Storm's squad have been a great promotion for attracting new and younger fans to follow the team and sport.

Players like Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Matt King, etc. They seem to have a certain appeal, especially to young females for some unknown reason.

Partly because of this and also because of Storm's resurgence into the finals last year will see crowds continue to increase in 2004.

Surandy

Latest posts