What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

eels81236

Bench
It is funny isn't it? You wouldn't even be discussing this topic if it wasn't for last year. First signs of hope are warm feelings, I must admit. I suppose you should be allowed to enjoy a little success every now and then, even if it was only 2nd place.
I really don't hate the Eels at all. The discussion was about Mateo going to the Dogs.
Somehow it diverted to this discussion about how many juniors are at your club - and born not bred.

Obviously it helps to talk about things that make you feel happy - are most of you guys under 15 years?:)

I would argue that if we didn't go on that freakish run later in the season the push to keep mateo would be even greater. He missed much of the season through injury and he would be one of our greatest hopes for this year.
If you are like me and respect, yet not overestimate our run in 2009 you still believe that Mateo is perhaps the most vital member of our pack. By saying that I mean that it would be unrealistic to expect us to play that well again so we need a fit and effective Mateo.

strider

Post Whore
It is funny isn't it? You wouldn't even be discussing this topic if it wasn't for last year. First signs of hope are warm feelings, I must admit. I suppose you should be allowed to enjoy a little success every now and then, even if it was only 2nd place.
I really don't hate the Eels at all. The discussion was about Mateo going to the Dogs.
Somehow it diverted to this discussion about how many juniors are at your club - and born not bred.

Obviously it helps to talk about things that make you feel happy - are most of you guys under 15 years?:)
no - I turned 15 yesterday ... so nerrrrr :p

hindy111

Post Whore
well at end of day if we cant keep mateo than we never should of signed tahu-shackleton or Poore...So we cant complain can we???

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I think you'd also find that many here enjoyed the premiership winning sides, including myself.

I think the point some people are trying to make is that we as a club weren't naive and stupid enough to promote a T-shirt related to producing juniors....in hindsight it was one of the dumbest things since...mmm!! well, cheating the sallary cap maybe???

the 18th man :lol:

lingard

Coach
well the thing is, a team like the Warriors would be putting Mateo at the top of the top 25 sallary tree with Price, possibly Tate and Manu (linked to the Melbourne rugby side) leaving.

as far as I'm concerned at the very best, he sits number 5 or 6 at our club behind Hindy, Hayne, Fui, T and maybe even Mortimer, and I haven't even mentioned Poore, Caylo, INU, Grothe and Burt...

I agree with you; but I`ve got a funny feeling that by the end of this year, he might be our number one player. I think Feleti Mateo will be the most improved player in our squad by the end of this year. This is another reason why I think this team CAN afford to have a solid, not brilliant, defensive half-back. We haven`t seen anywhere near Mateo`s best yet - unless he proves to be injury-prone, which is a possiblity.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I agree with you; but I`ve got a funny feeling that by the end of this year, he might be our number one player. I think Feleti Mateo will be the most improved player in our squad by the end of this year. We haven`t seen anywhere near his best yet - unless he proves to be injury-prone, which is a possiblity.

I'm certainly not dismissing that possability, the thing that concerns me is that he'll be 36 this year, so he's going to need to hurry up and turn it on before his form starts to head south because of his age.

parra pete

Referee
I'm certainly not dismissing that possability, the thing that concerns me is that he'll be 36 this year, so he's going to need to hurry up and turn it on before his form starts to head south because of his age.

36....still a pup....but I think you mean 26...

bartman

Immortal
Mateo has a load of skill, but has taken ages for it to develop (reserve grade, London Broncos enforced stint).

He's 26, but still hasn't made Origin rep level sides unless I'm forgetting something? That puts him in the same category as Burt in terms of rep achievements.

Not that I have any problem with Burt and his contribution to the team at all, his positional know how has proved vital in helping Jarryd learn his. But my point is that unless Feleti really fires this season, then despite his natural talents I wouldn't fight too hard or pay overs to keep him. His contract renewal feels like it will be a bit like a Dean Widders choice, in a side where we can't afford to re-sign everyone off contract.

lingard

Coach
Mateo has a load of skill, but has taken ages for it to develop (reserve grade, London Broncos enforced stint).

He's 26, but still hasn't made Origin rep level sides unless I'm forgetting something? That puts him in the same category as Burt in terms of rep achievements.

Not that I have any problem with Burt and his contribution to the team at all, his positional know how has proved vital in helping Jarryd learn his. But my point is that unless Feleti really fires this season, then despite his natural talents I wouldn't fight too hard or pay overs to keep him. His contract renewal feels like it will be a bit like a Dean Widders choice, in a side where we can't afford to re-sign everyone off contract.

Fair enough. I think Brian Smith set his career back a lot, though, and I still think he`ll be a late bloomer and be a real star for us this year. To be honest, I never rated him as highly as others have, until I saw what he did in the last couple of games for us this year; coming back from injury the way he did really impressed me.

strider

Post Whore
look if feleti leaves, ben smith will have no one to do body bumps with - and we just can't have that - so feleti has to stay

bartman

Immortal
:lol:.

But yes Lingard, Feleti has the skills and always has. We just need him to be fired up to "bring it" this season, and be motivated fit enough not to cop an injury, or languish out of condition.

I really hope that he does, because he'll earn a good contract with us (or anyone else) if he fires from Round 1 through to Origin time.

ROGUE

Juniors
perhaps another contributing factor is how the coach plays mateo this year, as far as keeping him happy is concerned.Will he play him to his strengths or just expect him to play your standard backrower game.

Latest posts