What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap: Irvine..

Frailty

First Grade
The Irvine solution: market principles can save rugby league from itself

ADRIAN PROSZENKO

May 2, 2010 AFTER all the bleating about the cheating, someone has finally provided a reasoned alternative to the much-maligned salary cap.
Cronulla chairman Damian Irvine (right) has proposed a points system to replace the cap, which rewards loyalty and allows players to earn as much as clubs are prepared to pay them. Instead of players being ascribed a monetary value under a cap, they would be given a points rating depending on their level of experience. Players without NRL experience take up two points under Irvine's proposal, while those with recent representative experience take up the maximum number, six. NRL clubs have the task of assembling their top-25 squad without going over 100 points.
Irvine first came up with the idea eight years ago but finally decided to make it public following the Melbourne Storm's rorting revelations.

''The salary cap system has proven very difficult to police over the years, despite all the auditing,'' Irvine said. ''Even one of the perceptively better-run clubs over the years, the one we have all looked to as the benchmark, has fallen foul of the cap.
''It's probably fair to say that it's not the best way to do it. My point here is that you need to use market principles and say 'how can we make that player less attractive [to rivals]?'.''
To that end, Irvine has formulated a series of incentives which reward players and clubs for loyalty. After three years at any club, a player's points index decreases by one point a season, although the value can never drop below four points. So a Test player such as Benji Marshall, for instance, would normally cost the Wests Tigers six points. However, because he has remained loyal to the club at which he made his NRL debut in 2003, the Tigers can keep him on the books at a cost of only four points. But rival clubs that want to poach him would have to put him on their roster at the full six points. Irvine was also fine-tuning a discount system for local juniors.
The fans have clearly lost faith in the salary cap system. In a Herald website poll this week (see above), readers were asked whether Melbourne was the only club cheating the salary cap. The poll received more than 10,000 responses, with 92 per cent saying 'no'.
''Clubs often get decimated after a grand final win because footballers who have made their name at the club they are at get squeezed out by the cap,'' Irvine said. ''This plan solves the local junior problem and encourages clubs to develop them.
''The artificial balance that the quota system gives also ensures that the richest club doesn't always get the best players, you can only have X amount.
''Those points could possibly be in the Big League [program] every week, they can't be fudged.''
Another interesting aspect of the proposal is the clubs' ability to selectively discount unwanted players.
If a player falls out with a coach, for instance, the ''holding'' club can offer him to rivals at a reduced points value. For instance, Willie Mason would have been a six-point player at the Roosters last year due to his representative status. However, the Bondi Junction club would have had the option of shopping him around to rivals at a lesser value, making him a more attractive buy. The plan also allows clubs to pay players as much as they like, with no restrictions on third-party sponsorships.
Irvine stressed he was putting forward his proposal as a long-time fan of the game and not on behalf of the Cronulla Sharks. He also stated it would probably need tweaking to work in the NRL landscape and welcomed feedback.
''I'm a young chairman without a lot of administrative experience and not for a second am I suggesting that I have all the answers,'' Irvine said. ''I'm just throwing up an idea as a fan of the game.
''Every time something big happens in the game we tend to bicker a lot and not come up with solutions.'' [URL="http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0501-u04i.html"]http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0501-u04i.html[/URL]

Well it seems like he has some good ideas for the Salary Cap.

... Pity he can't work out a way to get the club off the floor.

The Shire

Juniors
good idea smartest thing ive heard about the cap. he seems pretty switched on.

sharks would fetch about 75 points though hahaha

coolumsharkie

Referee
It's also a very good idea as in it would quieten most of the conjecture regarding players individual salaries etc.

Inferno

Coach
Perhaps more players would leave the game though?

If plenty of clubs could not fit a player in "points wise" and the clubs that can can't afford to pay them what they're worth, surely they'll bugger off to Union, or the ESL?

Generalzod

Immortal
What's the point the way the teams going we won't be having a team to support.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
Perhaps more players would leave the game though?

If plenty of clubs could not fit a player in "points wise" and the clubs that can can't afford to pay them what they're worth, surely they'll bugger off to Union, or the ESL?

Do you have a suggestion that would prevent it happening all together? All I think is that under this system, it would happen less frequently than as is under the current system.

I could also see a lot more UK players coming down since the money would be better.

S.R.

Juniors
I've heard of some other game (maybe basketball) doing a similar thing. But instead of rating the players 1-6, they rate them according to the "best" in their team.

E.G
Each player in the Top 25 is rated 1-25 (best player getting a 1, lowest a 25).
The sum of numbers 1 to 25 is 325.
Each club's squad of 25 players must equal at least 325 points each season.

So for example, the Sharks ONLY lose Trent Barret, who is rated at 5 for next season, they can not replace him with a top 4 ranked player from any other club.

Clubs can choose to be over the 325 points, but not under.
The issue with going over 325 is that your squad reverts back to 325 each year.

I'm sure there's a way to work it, just can't be bothered thinking any more this morning!!!

redback

Bench
To suggest Irvine came up with this idea is like suggesting Telstra invented the telephone!

This particular plan has been mooted before!

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Exactly redback

People have suggested all this for years.

Just another Irvine deflection to steer people away from gawking at the Titanic.

When I was a young boy I wanted to sail 'round the world
That's the life for me, living on the sea
Spirit of a sailor circumnavigates the globe
The lust of a pioneer will acknowledge no frontier

I remember you by thunderclap in the sky
Lightning flash, tempers flare, 'round the horn if you dare
I just spent six months in a leaky boat
Lucky just to keep afloat

Aotearoa, rugged individual glisten like a pearl
At the bottom of the world
The tyrany of distance didn't stop the cavalier
So why should it stop me? I'll conquer and stay free

Ah come on all you lads, let's forget and forgive
There's a world to explore
Tales to tell back on shore
Six months in a leaky boat

Shipwrecked love can be cruel
Don't be fooled by her kind
There's a wind in my sails, will protect and prevail
Nothing to leaky boat

jackal

Juniors
redback said:
To suggest Irvine came up with this idea is like suggesting Telstra invented the telephone!

This particular plan has been mooted before!

I would believe Irvine is inferring different. Are there porky pies in the air...

Irvine first came up with the idea eight years ago but finally decided to make it public following the Melbourne Storm's rorting revelations.

What if the Nrl and its Media friends that Make money from Rugby league Picked an elite Squad of fifty or so Players and put them on base salaries sort of like the Elite squad in Cricket . Combine this system with the points system that Irvine or whoever came up with (does it matter?) Then you would have a way of striving for the mythical level playing field ,as well as keeping the elite players in the game ,and not losing them to yawnion ,overseas or AFL.

The idea is floored.

What happens to the rep player who doesn't play like a rep player anymore because they're old or were one year wonders?

They still get branded with 6 points to their name.

Clubs will pass on them and off they go to England, Union or AFL.

Do you mean Flawed? Surely thats simply rectified by reviewing the points yearly . If a players form has dropped that much he'll probably not be an attractive proposition to 1st grade , or yawnyun, englun, or AFL .Those that Maintain form would retain Points ,retain Nrl payments and hopefully be rewarded enough to reject the other offers from the inferior codes.Players like Gasnier ,K.Hunt,$B.Williams,Rogers,Tahu,tuQuiri,etc werent lured away cause they were Old or out of form.

Frailty

First Grade
The idea is floored.

What happens to the rep player who doesn't play like a rep player anymore because they're old or were one year wonders?

They still get branded with 6 points to their name.

Clubs will pass on them and off they go to England, Union or AFL.

Flawed*

And there was a graphic in the paper with the article that showed the rep 'points' are based on the representative games in the last two years.

So someone who played 5 years ago, would not longer have representative points.