What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary CRPA-MOYLAN AND ROBINSON TO PLAY FOR WINDSOR

Randy81

Juniors
I would assume that the lowest paid player currently in the top 25 would drop down to tier 2, hence we would still be over

Which would be fine if it was humble for example
Injured and won't play again so only a one off fine

murraymob

Coach
I don't understand why we can't just give Matt Moylan a pay rise or whatever like we recently did to Nigel Plum, and put him into our top squad. Aren't most NRL top squads more then 25 players? With 25 being minimum, but most stretching it to include about 30 players or so.

Why can't we just give him an NRL contract for this season? If we have room in our first grade cap, it's ridiculous that we can't give that money to one of the players we have had running around for years and who has earned it. Yet a bloke that has only ever set foot in Penrith to play against us could sign and play with us for the rest of the year.

the reason is you name your 25 at the start of the season and that is your top tier for the season

mxlegend99

Referee
That's what doesn't make sense. How can you add players from other clubs to yourfirst grade salary cap mid-season, but not add players from your second tier salary cap? If you can add a player from another club, there must be some way to do it with someone at the club already.

greynurse

Juniors
The rules may be silly but they are well known by clubs before the season kicks off. Clubs endorse the rules and even if some clubs disagree with those rules, they all agree to abide by them.

If this is seen as such a big problem for the game why was it not dealt with before the season started - or last season or the season before.

The answer is that it was not seen as a problem. And most likely most people - probably including our leader - saw reasons for having the rule.

So, we are blaming the NRL for us having this problem. I have even heard one of Gus's emissaries say that it is a problem originating with Matt Elliott.

Hello?

All good and well that this rule is in place but, when the wages go up 25% and the second tier cap goes up by only 10% there is something seriously wrong with NRL bean counters. Not to mention i don't know any company out there that would take a product that is growing and cut it from the shelves for sale. The NRL is a brand being attacked by its competitor (GWS 12000 members) and there brilliant idea is to take its talent from the field. If the NRL was not a product that sells itself .I have to say the NRL would have trouble selling it.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
the second tier is nothing but red tape.You only need 1 cap if in relation to first grade.You either allow more player to be included or increase the overall amount.And another interesting twist.Gould has revealed in todays paper Shuebert has sole say on who gets to play and who does not.
The tigers have a higher injury toll then us but are still able to bring in new people

betcats

Referee
f**king Schubert the fathead clown. Surely its time for someone else to be doing that job.

darkbloom

Juniors
Two years running we've been done over in the same way.

Last year it was the fault of Elliott and Leary, this year it is the fault of Schubert.

I wish we would take control of our own destiny.

darkbloom

Juniors
The second tier was introduced because some clubs were plying huge money into it to get around the main salary cap.

The club that was the biggest culprit. One guess!!!

darkbloom

Juniors
All good and well that this rule is in place but, when the wages go up 25% and the second tier cap goes up by only 10% there is something seriously wrong with NRL bean counters. Not to mention i don't know any company out there that would take a product that is growing and cut it from the shelves for sale. The NRL is a brand being attacked by its competitor (GWS 12000 members) and there brilliant idea is to take its talent from the field. If the NRL was not a product that sells itself .I have to say the NRL would have trouble selling it.

Whatever you say, however wrong it may be, the rule was in place at the beginning of the season, all clubs know it and have to manage their way through it.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
I hope this is fixed in time for next round after yesterdays effort. I bet if it was one of the glamor clubs and their fans made heaps of noise say Rabbits, Roosters or Storm, it would definitely be fixed for next round.

darkbloom

Juniors
All clubs set up their teams for Season 2013 under the same rules.

Changing those rules mid season because one or two clubs couldn't manage it would be wrong, unless all clubs agreed to the change.

There are clearly mechanisms in place to give exemptions but Penrith did not meet the criteria.

Randy81

Juniors

Changing those rules mid season because one or two clubs couldn't manage it would be wrong, unless all clubs agreed to the change.

There are clearly mechanisms in place to give exemptions but Penrith did not meet the criteria.

Happens every year to all clubs who get loads of injuries (hardly something that is planned). Usually a fine at the end of the year though

franklin2323

Immortal

Actually the team was put in BEFORE the cap was confirmed. A cap mind you we are $500k under.

As for teams stacking up players. A straight swap for an injured player is the way around this. Never a case in NFL, NHL etc of teams stacking up feeder teams.

As for not managing Latimore gone round 1. Coote gone round 2 meant we were gone by Round 10 hardly not managing.

darkbloom

Juniors
Yes, I guess we have a managed it well.

200k under the cap (according to Gus's article) and we can't play a talented local junior. We have really managed our cap and the cap rules remarkably well.

Dam the NRL and dam Schubert they should lift their standard to our level of competence.

murraymob

Coach
Yes, I guess we have a managed it well.

200k under the cap (according to Gus's article) and we can't play a talented local junior. We have really managed our cap and the cap rules remarkably well.

Dam the NRL and dam Schubert they should lift their standard to our level of competence.

by your own figures we are under the cap and can fit Matt in .The second tier does not allow for injuries in a club that is where the problem is.if you have no injuries you use less players making the cap a easy figure to stay well under

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't know what is hard to understand. Or whether your hatred for Gould makes you blind.

Being way under means we aren't stockpiling players. Can you tell me any other sport that doesn't allow injury replacements? I can't think of a single one.

Poor disclipine & form are different then unpreventable injuries. 2nd tier is still there for SOO time etc.

Teams wont stockpile as what player that's good will go elsewhere to sit in NSW Cup on the off chance someone does an ACL or something?

Round 1 we lose Latimore - since used Docker, Anderson as we needed to replace him.Round 2 we lose Coote - need a 5/8 so play John.

$350k gives you $30k base salary for 10 players . At 3k a game 16 games to play 2nd tier players before your over.

You are fine with short term injuries but 2 players out over half the season combine the 2 30 games teams are going to over. It was always going to be an issue.

If we could control injuries the Newcastle four would be gone!

murraymob

Coach
the only fault i can see from penrith is that Moylan was not in the first 25 from the start of the year

maple_69

Bench
That was an odd mistake. He was an obvious pick for first crack at fullback for most here. After what he did all last year, he would have had some games in the second half of the season if he wasnt injured.
Also, bloom, I dont think we're faultless but I think our situation has shown the related rules to be illogical and not in the spirit of the game. This is our best chance to see change to a rule which has effected many clubs and players and will continue to do so to the detriment of the game if not changed.