What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess' Future

tmfsd

Juniors
I guess it's hard to tell them apart. 1 is a 5'10", 89 kilo scrum half, the other is 6'4", 112 kilo prop

Ozzy

First Grade
Yeah News Ltd are really going to town on this story. I think Sam must have knocked them back for an interview or something.

Not a shred of truth in any of this but I guess it'll sell papers.
Or maybe it's a case of Sam knocking back bourbon. ;-) She'll jump on any anti-league story.

DC_fan

Coach
I read the other day that the Burgess brothers were due back in Sydney yesterday (Sunday). I read today they are still in England.

Are they coming back?

Sam Burgess is our best English forward along with James Graham and James Roby. To Beat the Aussies we need at least 10 truly world class players, and in Tomkins, Charnley, Watkins, Burgess, Roby, Graham and Ryan Hall we have just seven. - all of them would be within a whisker of the Kangaroo team.

To lose Sam Burgess is therefore a disappointment. I feel all the Razzamatazz surrounding the family should be handled and managed. Here is a Lad from Yourkshire who has never played Rugby Union in his life......My aspiration, if I was good enough would never be to play for England at Union it would be to beat the Aussies at League and it is bizarre beyond words that Sam thinks that wallowing in the mud at Bath is an any way better that what he currently has..All the talk of higher profile is garbage because he already has an amazing profile, and when I see former league players in Union I don't see any higher profile at all......It is rubbish and Burgess is making a monumental mistake. If he has stepped out of line he should hold his head high and apologise to his mates and brothers. Sam is an out and our League player and if you watched English Union as I it is a laboured and mud splattered sport bolsters by corporate lounge lizards fresh from the financial crisis.- Give it up Sam, its a fools errand

Not all of those seven would make an Australian side. That is garbage. Burgess and Graham is about it and they would be needing top level form to even be considered. We have four to five world class players for every pom. Easily. Look at who doesn't make origin to see what I mean. Sam Burgess goes missing when the pressure is on. Graham too.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe Sam just wants to move back to the UK and is using Union as the reason why? He might play, and I say might play one season of Umion there before signing with a Super League team.

There is one and one reason only why Sam will go back to the UK. Dollars. Secondary you could argue would be the lure of becoming a dual international and playing in there World Cup but at the end of the day it would be largely about an amount of money to good to refuse. Pure and simple. I think Sam Burgess is a wonderful player, one of the best in the game but there is clearly legs to this rumour and he will be playing in the 2015 Union World Cup. If it eventuates he will be a huge loss for you guys but not the end of the world.

Sam Burgess stonewalls on NRL future

League News
Date February 10, 2014 - 11:30PM
Rabbit in the spotlight: South Sydney forward Sam Burgess returned to Sydney on Monday night with brothers and Bunnies teammates, George, Thomas and Luke. Photo: Sahlan Hayes

A stone-faced Sam Burgess has returned to Australia refusing to commit himself to South Sydney.
Sam was joined by brothers Luke, Thomas and George on a flight from Abu Dhabi on Monday night as doubts over his long-term future in rugby league remain.
The South Sydney forward has been linked to a big money switch to English rugby union at the end of this season despite remaining contracted to the Rabbitohs until the end of 2016. Sam apparently wants to feature for England in next year’s World Cup. The quartet were given leave by the Rabbitohs and returned to the United Kingdon for the funeral of a family member. All Burgess would say was ‘‘no comment’’ when asked about his future in rugby league and if he had any messages for his South Sydney fans.
Their mother Julie was on hand to greet her sons for the flight delayed by almost a hour before scattering when she noticed members of the media were taking photos of her and presumably warned Sam about the waiting press.

Sam led his brothers through the customs doors and they trailed behind him as he made his way to the airport car park. The Burgess brothers are expected to return to South Sydney training on Tuesday.
A transfer fee of up to $1 million has been mooted for the release of Burgess with a move to English rugby union club Bath his likely destination.
Bath coach Mike Ford described Sam as a “very good rugby league player”. “Recruitment is always ongoing,” Ford told London’s Telegraph. “Even when our squad is signed for this year, we’ll be looking at players and making notes about recruitment for next year. We are not going to mention anybody until ink is signed on the paper. But, of course, everybody knows who Sam Burgess is.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-nrl-future-20140210-32d37.html#ixzz2sxkPvueJ

Galeforce

Bench
Interesting that there is NO new news on Sam's plan since the flurry of articles following the Daily Mail report of a 3 year signing with Union.
My own view is that English Rugby Union DO NOT want to pay any transfer fee and are hoping that Souths release Sam from his contract gratis. Souths should stand their ground on the existing contract with Sam, if NO transfer fee can be agreed.
Sam has an opportunity to make history at Souths by getting some premiership wins with Souths , finish his contract end of 2016 and then at 28 years of age if he still wants to move to Union , can plan his move with the aim to make the 2019 Union World cup.Hope this is the scenario that plays out.

RichieB

Juniors
There is one and one reason only why Sam will go back to the UK. Dollars. Secondary you could argue would be the lure of becoming a dual international and playing in there World Cup but at the end of the day it would be largely about an amount of money to good to refuse. Pure and simple. I think Sam Burgess is a wonderful player, one of the best in the game but there is clearly legs to this rumour and he will be playing in the 2015 Union World Cup. If it eventuates he will be a huge loss for you guys but not the end of the world.

To say it's only for dollars is a dumb statement. 'Most' people want to be successful in their own land. As far as he would be concerned, Souths it's just a meal ticket. He has no allegiance to Souths or this country. To him real success is playing for England be it in any sport he is able to do so.

Here is what I have heard.

Sam expressed an interest in leaving Souths late last year after being approached about a switch at the Rugby League World Cup.

There are two reasons he wants out-

1. Money (obviously). He can earn two to three times more playing Union than what he can earn here playing league.

2. He is concerned about his reputation and the damage that is being done due to him "living in the fishbowl" that is Rugby League in Sydney. Sam had been very kind and forthcoming with the media and he was very dissappointed in how quickly they turned on him after one or two on field indiscretions.

He was told to see what sort of offers would be put forward and to discuss with the club once he had something more concrete but that he would not be released before end 2014. Crowe himself has told Sam that if Souths receive appropriate remuneration then they will not stand in his way for 2015.

The big sticking point atm is that Rugby Union officials are worried that he won't be able to adapt to the sport in time for the world cup if the transfer isn't made until 2015. They want him for this year as well.

Souths are adamant that they will not release him before 2015.

I guess we wait and see what happens...

DC_fan

Coach
My gut feeling is that Sam and his three brothers will head back to England as soon as they can.

New Souths recruit Lote Tuqiri says Sam Burgess is one reason he joined the club

• by:
  • February 11, 2014 2:09PM

South's winger Lote Tuqiri has revealed that Sam Burgess was one of the reasons he signed with the Rabbitohs. Source: Getty Images
FORMER rugby convert Lote Tuqiri has revealed the chance to play alongside Sam Burgess was one of the main reasons he joined South Sydney.
The veteran winger returned to the NRL last month following a short stint with Irish side Leinster after being released by the Wests Tigers at the end of last season.
However, Burgess' career with Souths could be drawing to an end with the outstanding forward being strongly linked with a switch to English rugby in time to play in the Rugby World Cup in 2015.

Burgess and the club have remained tight-lipped on the speculation with coach Michael Maguire refusing to comment on Sunday after his side's trial victory over Canterbury at Belmore. The England international returned to Sydney late on Monday night with his threebrothers after attending the funeral of their grandfather in the UK, brushing the waiting media at the airport. Tuqiri, made the switch to the 15-man game in 2003 from the Brisbane Broncos and went on to play and score in the World Cup final later that year, said he was a huge admirer of Burgess' talents - but admitted he had no idea whether he was staying with the club.
“He is a superstar and one of the reasons I came here to Souths,” Tuqiri said.

Lote Tuqiri is tackled by Sam Burgess. Source: News Limited
“I don't what's happening with him so I can't really say too much about rugby, but he is a great player.” Tuqiri played 50 minutes against the Bulldogs and is confident he still had what it takes to play in the NRL despite having played 24 games in three seasons dusuccession of injuries.
The 33-year also believes being part of a side that's likely to be competing at the right end of the table would help rejuvenate his career.
“I wanted to test myself again and go out on my terms,” he said. “Who's to say if it's my last year, but I wanted to play in a good team. They've been so close the last two years and I am here to help any way I can.
“I know I had a fair bit to give and we'll just see how this year goes.
“I'm happy to be under a coach who pushes you hard on and off the field and I am just trying now to get a spot in the 17.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-joined-the-club/story-fni3gki8-1226823693978

RichieB

Juniors
Ha ha ha...Tuquiri claiming that the only reason for signing was to play with Burgo...I'm sure he had plenty of offers to consider from other clubs. What a joke!!!

Delboy

First Grade
Izzy can thank that numb nut Shoebox for this opportunity

Still infuriates me that that smug d:/.head was auditor for so long, can't think of Anything positive he did.

Even put the airfare that the club paid for Fui's son to see his 100th game into the cap, such a moron.

moga

Juniors
Bon voyage Burgi.

In 3 years time he'll come back and win a comp with my Roosters ala SBW. :cool:

Chook.

I can confirm this is the word around Bondi Junction

Uncle Nick has pulled The Phonethrowers pants down again

TheDalek079

Bench
any updates? Still can't fathom it. burgess may be a wanker with a big head, but I can't imagine him leaving souffs to go to union. but then there's his silence on the matter.

No updates. Negotiations have stalled. The RFU are under fire in the English media for throwing so much money at Sam. Might be that the whole thing falls through.

Latest posts