What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Thaiday linebacker offer

monaroCountry

Juniors
Originally Posted by jdizzle
LBs have practically no body fat. IMO they and RBs have the best "physique"s.

I wasn't referring to weight, I've seen fotage of Thaiday shirtless and whilst he is clearly strong, he is not at the level of a brian urlacher or ray lewis. he has a lot of body fat in comparison.

Just for comparison, Ray Lewis isnt superhuman he does not have super human strength, speed and stamina. I would actually put Sam as having better stamina, and both equal in strength. What sets lewis apart from his fellow NFL'ers is his skill, he is far better skilled at his position than his fellow NFL players.

Shirtless, both Sam and Ray does have a little bit of what I would call as tubby tummy, in this trio both are easily beaten by Lote.

Ray
p1_raylewis.jpg

Lote
Lote%20Tuqiri.jpg

Sam
250_training,0.jpg

Noa

First Grade
Gee I don't know about that, I think LB would be the toughest position to learn on the defense, they usually call the plays, they need to be able to identify run and pass on the snap, they need to identify coverage and gap assignments, etc. Safeties play pass first and the CB generally just needs to worry about his man or his zone.

When you add the physiacl side of the job with the technical side, yes a MIDDLE lb could be considered harder but persoanlly I think the CB has more to think about.

However an OLB job is pretty basic (unless theyre calling the plays) and doesnt really compare technically to the things CB and to a lesser extent Safties have to look out for.

THey have to deal with such things as slants, hooks, deep routes, stop & go's, see where the QB looking without losing your man all the while knowing that one misread will probably lead to a TD. Theres a reason CB's are amongst the highest paid and most sort ofter postions.

And no-way Monaro is Sam stronger then Ray Lewis or most other LB. We just dont focus as much on pure strength & power like they do to get to the same levels.

As League is to AFL, the NFL is to league when its come to strength indicators.

Last edited:

RUNVS

Juniors
Not overally relevant but on another forum i asked if people could create a NFL team out of Australian sportsmen (assuming that they had 6 months of intensive NFL training) and this is what they came up with (i dont know how accurate it is)

---------------------------------K.Hunt---------------L.Hodge
-------------------------------N.Hindmarsh------B.Hall------C.Fitzgibbon
I.Falou-------------------A.Laffranchi-------B.Rutten-------W.Mason------B.Kite-------J.Hayne
L. Franklin-------M.Richardson-J.Brown-B.Fevola-D.Bradshaw-P.Civenceva-B.Gibbs-------A.Goodes
--------------------------------------N.Bock
--------------------------------------C.Judd
--------------------------------------M.Bowen

K:J.Thurstans
P:A.Rocca
KR:A.Davey
PR:B.Slater

abpanther

Staff member
When you add the physiacl side of the job with the technical side, yes a MIDDLE lb could be considered harder but persoanlly I think the CB has more to think about.

However an OLB job is pretty basic (unless theyre calling the plays) and doesnt really compare technically to the things CB and to a lesser extent Safties have to look out for.

THey have to deal with such things as slants, hooks, deep routes, stop & go's, see where the QB looking without losing your man all the while knowing that one misread will probably lead to a TD. Theres a reason CB's are amongst the highest paid and most sort ofter postions.

And no-way Monaro is Sam stronger then Ray Lewis or most other LB. We just dont focus as much on pure strength & power like they do to get to the same levels.

As League is to AFL, the NFL is to league when its come to strength indicators.

No I think physical side aside the LB position is still harder to master technically than CB. Think about it, an LB in coverage has to worry about all the things you just mentioned, however they may also be asked to spy, blitz, zone dog, play the run, call plays, etc. Plenty more responsibility there, the reason why CBs get paid more is because they are harder to find because you need exceptional physical ability to play the position, LBs can get away with not being athletes if they are smart, which further adds to my point that to play the position you really need to know your stuff. CBs can get away with just being physical freaks.

Shorty

Staff member
Just to put my input in...
I think Sam would be pretty good for the role but I daresay he'd need to be a bit more trim.
Condition his muscles a little more.

And the thing is,NFL doesn't have endurance in it's training regime - He would have to watch his weight over there a bit more than in the NRL.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
There was an article in the Sunday Star-Times here in New Zealand about NFL scouts based in Australia/NZ and looking at NRL players.

Manu Vatuvei was named as the number one target. Personally I think his size, build and speed would impress anyone in any sport, but he's got pretty sub-par hands under the high ball which would seem to be a pretty serious impediment.

Noa

First Grade
There was an article in the Sunday Star-Times here in New Zealand about NFL scouts based in Australia/NZ and looking at NRL players.

Manu Vatuvei was named as the number one target. Personally I think his size, build and speed would impress anyone in any sport, but he's got pretty sub-par hands under the high ball which would seem to be a pretty serious impediment.

He'd play defence, linebacker or DE.

dragonfire

Bench
out of any athlete in league i would say Inglis is probably the one who got the natural gifts to be able to play WR in the NFL, size, speed and strength

Raider_69

Post Whore
out of any athlete in league i would say Inglis is probably the one who got the natural gifts to be able to play WR in the NFL, size, speed and strength

Agreed. He's the only one i think could go and do well. Maybe Izzy too

cq

Juniors
Have this Ozpunt mob actually got anyone onto an NFL roster yet? Seems to me that they are getting way more publicity than they deserve. Every article about this Ozpunt has come from this Adrian Proszenko bloke.

Example-Todd Carney gets the flick from the Raiders and is struggling to get a League contract, Adrian Proszenko phones up and says "Todd, would you be interested in the NFL". Todd says, "why not". Instant headline in the SMH-Todd Carney may go to NFL, with plenty of column inches for Ozpunt. I wonder if Adrian Proszenko or one of his mates or rellos has a financial interest in Ozpunt.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
Have this Ozpunt mob actually got anyone onto an NFL roster yet? Seems to me that they are getting way more publicity than they deserve. Every article about this Ozpunt has come from this Adrian Proszenko bloke.

Example-Todd Carney gets the flick from the Raiders and is struggling to get a League contract, Adrian Proszenko phones up and says "Todd, would you be interested in the NFL". Todd says, "why not". Instant headline in the SMH-Todd Carney may go to NFL, with plenty of column inches for Ozpunt. I wonder if Adrian Proszenko or one of his mates or rellos has a financial interest in Ozpunt.

Looking at his picture, I hope not.

lh_ap_200x250.jpg

You're on the money though CQ, I've been complaining for years on here that the OzPunt people are publicity whores that have achieved nothing.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He'd play defence, linebacker or DE.

What are the requirements of those positions exactly? Because Vatuvei is not really a good tackler for a guy his size. He gets shrugged off a lot.

The outstanding thing about Vatuvei is the combo of size/speed, but he's much stronger with ball in hand than he is defensively, for whatever reason.

Monk

Referee
i thiink Vatuvai would be a FB or TE. he wouldnt be able to cut it in defense.

Sanchez

Coach
Havnt read through the whole thread but nrl players have almost zero chance of making the nfl. Thaiday at lb especially

Big Tim

First Grade
Dont worry mate, these threads come up every 6 months, and then they die until someone makes a new one, or resurrects an old one.

Skeletor

Juniors
Inglis would make a better Punt/Kick Returner. He's would have trouble learning the Route and Coverage assignments a NFL receiver would have to. A KR/PR would just have to catch a ball and run at the gap.