What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SamBurgess gorn to rugby 2015

Valheru

Coach
So the NRL's normal club games > both Origin and International tournaments in quality, popularity, exposure, ranking and prestige? Laughable.

The club competition is definitely greater then tests on at least 3 of those criteria you mentioned. It is arguable that the club game matches or betters origin on some of those criteria as well.

For the record it is rare for any professional sport to have representative matches as its true pinnacle. Soccer is debatable but rugby and cricket are the ones that come to mind where the international game definitely is the pinnacle with cricket being a rare example of players mostly competing for their country year round.

Springs

First Grade

The club competition is definitely greater then tests on at least 3 of those criteria you mentioned. It is arguable that the club game matches or betters origin on some of those criteria as well.

For the record it is rare for any professional sport to have representative matches as its true pinnacle. Soccer is debatable but rugby and cricket are the ones that come to mind where the international game definitely is the pinnacle with cricket being a rare example of players mostly competing for their country year round.

There is no way the NRL beats the World Cup in ranking, prestige, exposure (14 countries involved, compared to 2) or quality. The NRL is probably more popular in terms of fans.
There is no way club games betters Origin at all.

It is not rare at all. The pinnacle for most sports are the Olympics.

The highest level of Soccer is obviously the World Cup.

Canard

Immortal
Why do people (on both sides of the argument) pretend like the NRL doesn't suspend the competition for internationals now?

Also, Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Really? Sure if have enough club games eventually one of them will be better in some ways but nothing gets national and international media like an international team, ask any player their career highlight or their career goal and being a Kangaroo is usually the number one, the RLWC 2017 will show how popualr Int RL is/can be when it is finally run correctly with decent investment, national teams generate interest from your non RL fans and in non Rl areas more than club football ever can.

Int Rl is hampered by lack of decent and consitent fixture planning, lack of competitve sides due to neglect of Int growth and stupid eligibility rules, and SOO (being seen as the pinnacle of a players achievement). RLWC13 showed some signs of reversing 20 years of those trends.

Springs

First Grade
Pretty much the growth of our game is hampered by short-sighted Australian officials who only care about their club and state.
The game in Europe has been slowly growing. Teams like Germany and Sweden get more games than Tonga and Samoa do!
The World Cup showed that players actually like playing internationals. We had some minnows challenge the big 3 for the first time in a long time. Samoa gave it to NZ and Fiji were level with England at halftime. The only way we can get that is more internationals. But Australia and NZ seem to just think Origins and Four Nations are enough. The lack of international planning in this part of the league world is atrocious.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Pretty much the growth of our game is hampered by short-sighted Australian officials who only care about their club and state.
The game in Europe has been slowly growing. Teams like Germany and Sweden get more games than Tonga and Samoa do!
The World Cup showed that players actually like playing internationals. We had some minnows challenge the big 3 for the first time in a long time. Samoa gave it to NZ and Fiji were level with England at halftime. The only way we can get that is more internationals. But Australia and NZ seem to just think Origins and Four Nations are enough. The lack of international planning in this part of the league world is atrocious.

if it wasnt for Australia rugby league would be dead

the NRL is the only hope for the future of the sport

its not our fault other nations cant compete

we're even helping england develop their test team by having their players here.

theres nothing to be ashamed of re Origin. its the pinnacle of australian sport, drawing in 12 million viewers.

when international football can regularly provide a similar spectacle it will get similar crowds and ratings.

and the only way this will ever happen is with other nations players in the nrl

England will never beat australia regularly with a team full of SL players

Parra

Referee
:lol:
So the NRL's normal club games > both Origin and International tournaments in quality, popularity, exposure, ranking and prestige? Laughable.

Yes.

Superleague proved it. The value of the game and the interest in the game is in NSW and QLD club footy. Dwarfs everything else.

Parra

Referee
One way to put this into perspective is to answer this question. Assume 2014 is a World Cup year.

Pick your priority - the one outcome you would choose, forsaking the others :

1. Your country winning the World Cup
2. Your state winning origin
3. Your team winning the NRL Grand Final.

beave

Coach
One way to put this into perspective is to answer this question. Assume 2014 is a World Cup year.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!!!!

You left out the most important competition

4. Your team winning the Auckland 9's

This is the top echelon of achievements this day and age, everything else pales into insignificance compared to the 'Rainbow Wave Cup'.......

1625567_694912510561001_1076310504_n.jpg

Okay I'll give it a rest now.....:D:cool:

TheVelourFog

First Grade

1. Cowboys winning final
2. Queensland winning origin
3. Cowboys beating Broncos
4. Me beating myself
5. Australia winning world cup

Perth Red

Post Whore
if it wasnt for Australia rugby league would be dead

the NRL is the only hope for the future of the sport

s

Lol, of course it would. I am sure those kids running around playing fields in west hull, barrow, Carcassonne and Toulouse would not be playing RL if it wasn't for the NRL and Australia's recent contribution to growing the game globally! :crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore

England winning RLWC2017
GB Winning Ashes
Hull kr winning SL
Hull kr winnng CC
England winning 4nations
Storm winning GF (again)
SOO (who gives a sht unless your from one of the states involved)

BunniesMan

Immortal

If someone told me I had to choose between 2 alternate futures:

A) Souths win a premiership in 2014. NSW and Australia never win again for the rest of history.
B) Souths never win another premiership. NSW wins all the Origins. Australia wins all the world cups.

I would choose option A every day of the week without hesitating.

When it comes to league how much I care about my club is way way way way way ahead of how much I care for rep footy.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Lol, of course it would. I am sure those kids running around playing fields in west hull, barrow, Carcassonne and Toulouse would not be playing RL if it wasn't for the NRL and Australia's recent contribution to growing the game globally! :crazy:

Besides a 3rd world country, NSW and Queensland is the only place on the planet where rugby league is King.

The NRL is more important than the rest of the rugby league world combined.

Without the NRL the game would be dead.

Springs

First Grade

1. My team winning the Group 20 Grand Final.

So Group 20 is the pinnacle of RL in my eyes? I don't think so. Stupid argument.

It would change every year. In terms of NRL-Origin-Internationals, it's currently NSW winning as they haven't won in 8 years and because Parramatta is very unlikely to win. In 2009, it was Eels winning. My actual first priority with concerns to these three is smaller nations like Scotland, Fiji, Wales, PNG and so on becoming more competitive, even though I go for Australia.

Sorry, I forgot. Number one would actually be my hometown team coming back into existence so I can play with them.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Similar to the NBA, players always talk about how many titles they've won rather than gold medals at the olympics.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Besides a 3rd world country, NSW and Queensland is the only place on the planet where rugby league is King.

The NRL is more important than the rest of the rugby league world combined.

Without the NRL the game would be dead.

:crazy: