What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samoan team to play PNG

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
As a QLDer you need to have grown up with origin, our parents loved it, it meant more then just a game of footy to Queenslanders, it was a society thing to us too, queenslanders we’re always looked down on from those from nsw, we always had our best players stolen from us which meant we got our asses kicked always and so on, hence why it has much passion, and Queenslanders never get sick of the revenge lol, you can’t replace that, you just need to share the spotlight with it, at least for another generation, it will start to fade as the game grows into something more, the international game.

You can feel that same passion in the Tongan jersey now ! But as the game becomes more international and the standard improves, those heritage players actually start playing with passion, love for the cultures and family, things will improve.

Pride will develop in these international jerseys, kids will start playing on the islands, new country’s will discover the game.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
As a QLDer you need to have grown up with origin, our parents loved it, it meant more then just a game of footy to Queenslanders, it was a society thing to us too, queenslanders we’re always looked down on from those from nsw, we always had our best players stolen from us which meant we got our asses kicked always and so on, hence why it has much passion, and Queenslanders never get sick of the revenge lol, you can’t replace that, you just need to share the spotlight with it, at least for another generation, it will start to fade as the game grows into something more, the international game.

You can feel that same passion in the Tongan jersey now ! But as the game becomes more international and the standard improves, those heritage players actually start playing with passion, love for the cultures and family, things will improve.

Pride will develop in these international jerseys, kids will start playing on the islands, new country’s will discover the game.
The game needs a moneyman to really take it to the next level in terms of hiring bigger stadiums and paying the players more money to match state of origin.

Clarkent

Juniors

Fair enough brother never looked at it that way from the origin supporters point of view... I've always said it from the start if all the island teams paid there players the same amount as the kiwis and aussies do then watch all the heritage island players commit to the island nation... They feel more connected to the island teams cause of there upbringing by there island parents and that's where all that passion comes from making there parents proud... Seeing the island teams coming up is huge for the international game hopefully Lebanon, France, Italy follow as well

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Fair enough brother never looked at it that way from the origin supporters point of view... I've always said it from the start if all the island teams paid there players the same amount as the kiwis and aussies do then watch all the heritage island players commit to the island nation... They feel more connected to the island teams cause of there upbringing by there island parents and that's where all that passion comes from making there parents proud... Seeing the island teams coming up is huge for the international game hopefully Lebanon, France, Italy follow as well
We can only hope, I love the international games, it’s almost like you guys get a taste of what origin is like for us, and what internationals will mean for the next generation of Aussies if it’s competitive. I believe it’s the start of better things, but we need to keep investing in it, we need equal pay.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
We can only hope, I love the international games, it’s almost like you guys get a taste of what origin is like for us, and what internationals will mean for the next generation of Aussies if it’s competitive. I believe it’s the start of better things, but we need to keep investing in it, we need equal pay.
Competitiveness is the key. If Tonga can beat NZ and Samoa can turnover Tonga regularly then this thing will grow.

Bigger stadiums, bigger crowds, more match day payments and increased tv deals etc.

Shoulder Charge

Juniors
It always seems to me like the Samoans never have the heart for the battle. They also seem to clock off once the NRL season has finished from a fitness perspective.

Funny you mention that a very close friend of mine who is Samoan brought that up I also told him it’s not just Samoan players but my fellow country men too (Tongans) I remember years ago when Konrad Hurrell cape back one off season 13kgs heavier? Feleti Mateo as well. Doesn’t help when we love to bond over food, especially in that Xmas period lol.

playdaball

Bench
How long before Kayln ponga gets bored and wants to see what the rest of the world has to offer playing union for the all blacks or wallabies in cities like London said:
What’s wrong with Townsville, Canberra, Hamilton, Huddersfield, Port Moresby, Leigh, Workington etc?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
That Samoan team is the best one I’ve seen from them, they have just as much potential as the Tongans . I actually think it’s better balanced then Tonga and Fiji, but the other 2 nations have better superstars

It is a very good squad and that's without Papalii, Haas, Leilua and Lafai. Not to mention more potential Kiwi defectors.

Burns

First Grade
I really like this squad. Add in Leilua, Papalii etc and I think it’s just as good as Tonga.

Sigh, wish they had a game against each other this year.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think the solution would be all of these nations coming under the ARLC banner and existing and arms of central organisation like NSWRL and QRL.

Annual grants would do wonders for the island bodies and it would be the first step towards equal pay for all internationals....