What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow back in training

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not possible mate. He has had fulltime employment in coaching for several years. If he was a moron he wouldn't have gotten a start in the first place, much less still be making a living as a professional coach.

There are a lot more ex-players wanting to coach than there are coaching jobs. I'm sure the only ones who can't afford the $160 registration fee are Pricey and Bert.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It's not possible mate. He has had fulltime employment in coaching for several years. If he was a moron he wouldn't have gotten a start in the first place, much less still be making a living as a professional coach.

There are a lot more ex-players wanting to coach than there are coaching jobs. I'm sure the only ones who can't afford the $160 registration fee are Pricey and Bert.

Kearney was just very lucky that the guys who hired him as a first grade coach were even bigger morons than what he was. If that's even possible.

Daneel

Bench
Im no fan of kearneys however i wonder what we would think of him if he was given the roosters squad to coach last year as his first gig. Kearneys biggest mistake was taking on a poor roster with a fractured board.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Im no fan of kearneys however i wonder what we would think of him if he was given the roosters squad to coach last year as his first gig. Kearneys biggest mistake was taking on a poor roster with a fractured board.

True. That's the hard part for a rookie, they have to take an opportunity when it presents itself. It's not everyday you get the chance to coach an NRL side. I'm sure he would have went ok if circumstances were a bit different.

yy_cheng

Coach

well he gets to pick and choose the nz squad

Eels Dude

Coach

If you want to nab an NRL head coaching gig you have to be willing to take your chances and make the most of them. There's only so many slots available. I doubt the Roosters would have signed an untested head coach in Kearney.

Daneel

Bench
If you want to nab an NRL head coaching gig you have to be willing to take your chances and make the most of them. There's only so many slots available. I doubt the Roosters would have signed an untested head coach in Kearney.

Well they appointed trent robinson and i know he had more coaching experience than kearney but not a whole lot and i remember people saying trent who when they appointed him. Take Geoff Toovey as an example then no more coaching experience as a head coach then kearney, would he do a worse job than toovey is with manly? Maybe maybe not we will never know but i would be confident that if toovey took the job of coaching the eels when kearney did there is a good chance he would be ridiculed as a terrible coach by now.

Yes you have to take your chances at some stage, like you said there is limited opportunities but that doesnt mean you should jump at the first one that comes along. He did however and unfortunately for him it probably means he wont get another opportunity.

Look when it comes down to it kearney may be the worse coach since paul langmack and terry lamb but he was pushing shit up hill from the start.

Eels Dude

Coach
Well they appointed trent robinson and i know he had more coaching experience than kearney but not a whole lot and i remember people saying trent who when they appointed him. Take Geoff Toovey as an example then no more coaching experience as a head coach then kearney, would he do a worse job than toovey is with manly? Maybe maybe not we will never know but i would be confident that if toovey took the job of coaching the eels when kearney did there is a good chance he would be ridiculed as a terrible coach by now.

Yes you have to take your chances at some stage, like you said there is limited opportunities but that doesnt mean you should jump at the first one that comes along. He did however and unfortunately for him it probably means he wont get another opportunity.

Look when it comes down to it kearney may be the worse coach since paul langmack and terry lamb but he was pushing shit up hill from the start.

I think there's a difference between a rookie being promoted from within to head coach at your current club, and being recruited by a different club. Geoff Toovey had worked his way up coaching reserve grade, then being assistant coach to Des Hasler at Manly over a period of 8 years. Trent Robinson was assistant coach at the Roosters under Brian Smith prior to coaching Catalans. So the club head honchos knew what they were going to get to a certain extent. All we know is that Kearney failed, whether he could have succeeded perhaps at Melbourne is purely hypothetical but his record will stand unless he somehow nabs another head coaching gig.

Daneel

Bench
I think there's a difference between a rookie being promoted from within to head coach at your current club, and being recruited by a different club. Geoff Toovey had worked his way up coaching reserve grade, then being assistant coach to Des Hasler at Manly over a period of 8 years. Trent Robinson was assistant coach at the Roosters under Brian Smith prior to coaching Catalans. So the club head honchos knew what they were going to get to a certain extent. All we know is that Kearney failed, whether he could have succeeded perhaps at Melbourne is purely hypothetical but his record will stand unless he somehow nabs another head coaching gig.

Yes i agree it is different promoting from inside your club to getting one from outside, which would suggest to me with hindsight that kearney shouldn't have taken on the eels job but waited for the melbourne gig to come up, as bellamy keeps on saying this is his last contract. Lets remember bellamy endorsed him so i would assume unless he endorsed him to f*ck him off from melbourne because he was sh*t (ive done it myself by giving a good reference to get rid of an employee) then he would have endorsed him to take over when he retires. Another option for kearney instead of taking on the eels may have been taking on an english super league club if the opportunity presented itself and certainly some lower grade coaching wouldnt have gone astray. Yes he failed im not disputing that, im simply stating he may not have failed because he is a shit coach but he may have failed because he took a poor option for himself in agreeing to coach the eels considering the circumstances the club was in.

His problem though he didn't do the job well enough he was paid to do and despite the circumstances i think he will be an assistant coach and no more in his career from here on in. I bet he wishes every day that he was still bellamys assistant at melbourne with the coaching world at his feet. He may have been given a go at the cowboys this year or the tigers last year (really not much better than the eels gig though) or even the eels again this year with a better squad and hopefully a better functioning board.

phantom eel

First Grade
Look when it comes down to it kearney may be the worse coach since paul langmack and terry lamb
That's pretty much all there is to it. His flaws may have been masked at a better club but there's a reason why he didn't land a job at one, and others did.

Daneel

Bench
That's pretty much all there is to it. His flaws may have been masked at a better club but there's a reason why he didn't land a job at one, and others did.

No not even close to being all there is to it. Anyone with an average amount of intelligence would realize that a different set of circumstances a bit of luck here or there and things could have worked out differently for him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No not even close to being all there is to it. Anyone with an average amount of intelligence would realize that a different set of circumstances a bit of luck here or there and things could have worked out differently for him.

It's all about scapegoats around here mate. They get a bit irrational when they're looking for someone to blame.

It's why our club's in the mess it's in - because it's run by fans.

Last edited:

Daneel

Bench
It's all about scapegoats around here mate. They get a bit irrational when they're looking for someone to blame.

It's why our club's in the mess it's in - because it's run by fans.

You know Pou if you went through all my post I have little doubt you would find some where I blamed Kearney especially if I was being irrational and looking for someone to blame. I don't feel a little bit bad about it and still don't think he was much of a coach. However when rationality comes back and your smart enough (as I'm sure phantom is, I know eels dude is, yy I have my doubts about) then you would realise that things may have been different under different circumstances wether you are willing to admit or not

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You know Pou if you went through all my post I have little doubt you would find some where I blamed Kearney especially if I was being irrational and looking for someone to blame. I don't feel a little bit bad about it and still don't think he was much of a coach. However when rationality comes back and your smart enough (as I'm sure phantom is, I know eels dude is, yy I have my doubts about) then you would realise that things may have been different under different circumstances wether you are willing to admit or not

Mate, I don't think Steve Kearney is a good coach either, but I'm certainly not convinced he's a bad one.

And to be honest I think Ricky Stuart is a good coach who left us in pretty good shape. But prior to last year I had my doubts about him.

Daneel

Bench
Mate, I don't think Steve Kearney is a good coach either, but I'm certainly not convinced he's a bad one.

And to be honest I think Ricky Stuart is a good coach who left us in pretty good shape. But prior to last year I had my doubts about him.

Don't get me started on Stuart. I thought he was an overated hack, then I embraced him as our possible answer, to only hate him again. But now I look at our squad and think gee
Maybe that a**hole did do some good around here

Daneel

Bench
Least ways in my opinion Arthur has something better than both Stuart and Kearney had to work with and you'd have to say rs and sk can both have some ownership in that

Latest posts