What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow wants to go home...

Utey

Coach
OUT-of-form Eels halfback Chris Sandow will seek permission to return home to Cherbourg this weekend to help him forget about his horror start at Parramatta.

Sandow yesterday revealed his confidence was down, and some time out with family and friends in Queensland could spark his energy levels.

Parramatta are at the bottom of the ladder and fed-up fans are still waiting on new recruit Sandow to deliver on his $550,000 price tag.
A subdued Sandow told The Daily Telegraph he would ask Eels officials if he can head home when the players get four days off later this week.

Some trips home have not gone smoothly for Sandow because of the occasional family drama.

But it was the corresponding return to Cherbourg last year when Sandow not only reached the decision to join the Eels, but returned to string a series of great games together for South Sydney.

"I want to go back home, and it would be good because I think it's healthy for me to get back home," Sandow said.

"All my family and friends are back there. Laughter is a good medicine to bring back my confidence. I try to get my friends and family down (to Sydney) as much as I can to keep me going.

"I love being happy, so getting back there will bring that out of me. I think that's what I'm missing. I haven't been home for a while, and I didn't get back at Christmas.

"I feel I can do more, but I don't know what's happening at the moment. I have to be patient and know it won't come overnight."

Coach Stephen Kearney did not hide his frustration on Sunday after the 24-18 loss to Cronulla and said of Sandow: "He can certainly contribute more than he is at the moment."

Fox Sports stats reveal Sandow is making fewer runs, missing more tackles and coughing up more errors. Sandow said defence and attacking the line were the two areas he needed to address.

He said that a quick chat to skipper Nathan Hindmarsh on the team bus on Sunday night had lifted his spirits.

"Hindy said he just wants me to do my job," Sandow said. "He doesn't want me to try and pull anything out of my backside. That was really good coming from Hindy."

Hindmarsh said: "All I said on Sunday night was, 'they (the critics) are going to be after you, but shrug it off and we'll go again when we come up against the Tigers'. I told him to keep his head up.

"I thought what he was doing at Souths was good. I think he's a genuine halfback, and it (the move) will pay dividends for us.

"But we're all in the same boat where none of us are playing well this year. 'Haynesy' (Jarryd Hayne) is finding form but the rest of us are inconsistent - one week good, one week not."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-eels-halfback-chris-sandow-wants-to-visit-home-town-to-forget-horror-start-to-season/story-e6frexnr-122632818783

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-start-to-season/story-e6frexnr-1226328187839

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would have thought most teams would take advantage of the break and send all players on a weeks break away from each other. Obviously rep players excluded.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I would have thought most teams would take advantage of the break and send all players on a weeks break away from each other. Obviously rep players excluded.

well yes that's true but don't let that get in the way of a good yarn.

He is not out of form, he is just an average player that had a good 10 or so games last year and the Eels jumped in and paid twice what he is worth.

mis leading headline again.
Someone just showed me the paper and said if you read the headline it sounds like he wants out and is home sick but if you read the story it says nothing like it.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Why is there a drama with a grown man going home? He works for the Eels. We don't own him. There might be some troublemakers back in his home town who are jealous of his success but he can handle that.

natheel

Coach
If he wants to go to qld and thinks it'll help him pep up and get his head together then that's fine. As much as he denies the pressure is getting to him is crap. It is getting to him and that's not a problem as long as he can just stay calm and rise out of it. I have faith that he is the right man for the 7 for our team.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I wouldn't be giving the merkins 4 days off. I'd be making them work f**king hard. I wouldn't be going soft on these bludgers. They need more practice and hard work!

Gronk

Staff member
I wouldn't be giving the merkins 4 days off. I'd be making them work f**king hard. I wouldn't be going soft on these bludgers. They need more practice and hard work!

Kearney is on NZ duty. Maybe the players are supposed to be training but have pissed off cos the boss is away ? I bet the ones that stayed are playing office cricket instead of lifting weights right now !

Office+cricket.jpg

tresurehunt

Juniors
Why is there a drama with a grown man going home? He works for the Eels. We don't own him. There might be some troublemakers back in his home town who are jealous of his success but he can handle that.

um, you sure about that, my friend use to be the parra no.7 for a while,thats all im saying, just so you know they get told what to eat,what to wear, where to be ,what to say and how to say it , if he wants to go home to clear his head and get away for a while it will only be a good thing for parra.

DeanPay98

Juniors
um, you sure about that, my friend use to be the parra no.7 for a while,thats all im saying, just so you know they get told what to eat,what to wear, where to be ,what to say and how to say it , if he wants to go home to clear his head and get away for a while it will only be a good thing for parra.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that slavery was abolished in the 19th century and that today its considered an absolute international crime.

But seriously, I get what you're saying. I can understand him being told to eat etc as he's working as an athlete so nutrition is important. The other stuff would make sense with club commitments. But it can't go that far otherwise people just wouldn't perform. Maybe thats our problem. Too much club control creates players with little initiative or motivation (I don't mean Sandow).