What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW Adidas sponsorship

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Im just wondering why NRL players aren't getting these endorsement like Sonny has with Adidas or has the NRL salary caps disallows these endorsement deals?

They obviously aren't seen as being as marketable. Maybe they need better management.

Crusher

Coach
SBW is the 2014 version of Willie Orwonte, the latest Manly signing annouced on April 1 this year.

shiznit

Coach
Im just wondering why NRL players aren't getting these endorsement like Sonny has with Adidas or has the NRL salary caps disallows these endorsement deals?
Exposure...

They want to expose there brand to as many markets as possible...

Rocco

Juniors
Exposure...

They want to expose there brand to as many markets as possible...

AFL is only exposed to Victoria, SA & WA but that doesnt stop players being endorsed by companies and players making extra money from it.

I still remember how shitty NRL got over the Benji being featured in the X-Blade ad when tigers and X-Blade said Benji got no cash from it.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
AFL is only exposed to Victoria, SA & WA but that doesnt stop players being endorsed by companies and players making extra money from it.

Hence why no AFL players are global ambassadors for Adidas.

SBW is a home run for Adidas... He's well known in NZ, Aus and some of Europe and with the All Blacks he gets exposure to the Asian and American markets.

carcharias

Immortal
The dude is the perfect specimen.

He can do whatever the hell he wants....and the rest of us can just be jealous, I guess.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Adidas aren't a sponsor exclusive to Union, so I don't see what the problem is.

Weren't Hayne, Dugan and Slater sponsored by Adidas previously?

I can't believe that Bastian Schweinsteiger continues to promote NZ Rugby's biggest sponsor by wearing adidas boots and continuing to appear in promotions for them :(

shiznit

Coach
I can't believe that Bastian Schweinsteiger continues to promote NZ Rugby's biggest sponsor by wearing adidas boots and continuing to appear in promotions for them :(
When your beloved captain Schultz is being promoted by the Adidas Rugby UNION dept your argument will make more sense.

I can't believe that NZ Rugby's biggest sponsor owns shares in FC Bayern :( How can a rival sport from another nation be allowed to do this!?

shiznit

Coach
Adidas aren't a sponsor exclusive to Union, so I don't see what the problem is.

Weren't Hayne, Dugan and Slater sponsored by Adidas previously?
You'll see the problem when it comes to semi final time with SBW and the Roosters in the thick of it...

Here in NZ you will start seeing posters of SBW in All Black jerseys etc...

It may not be a big deal to many people here... But what we're talking about is brand protection.

The NRL need to be more proactive when protecting they're brand.

Fat Krion

Juniors
Has he started it yet? It might come into effect once he retires. All the T&D will be outlined in the contract.

What I want to know why people keep kissing this guys ass like he's top shit or something. Once he goes back to RU no one here will care about him anymore and he'll become a no-name. Remember his performance in the RU World Cup Final? Comes on as a substitute in the last 5 mins of the game and hero zero input :lol:

I'll give credit where it's due, he did good for us in 2004 winning the GF, and then again last year with the Roosters, but those RU years in between he did nothing, kept getting injured, and achieved nothing. After the Roosters won the GF last year, he's done nothing, and that includes the World Cup!

Don't be so bitter.....just let the hate go, love will set you free !

I can't believe that Lionel Messi is personally sponsored by Adidas and Cristiano Ronaldo is personally sponsored by Nike which is opposite to their clubs :(

Won't somebody think of the children?

Fat Krion

Juniors

Haven't you travelled ? I was in Beijing last month and there are billboards everywhere with pictures of Laurie Daley and Mal Meninga.

John Ribot was such a forward thinker...

shiznit

Coach
I can't believe that Lionel Messi is personally sponsored by Adidas and Cristiano Ronaldo is personally sponsored by Nike which is opposite to their clubs :(

Won't somebody think of the children?
Actually... That's not a bad point...

I guess maybe because they are only kit sponsors and not major sponsors.

What we're talking about here is a guy who has signed for NZ Rugby for next season... And has become the global ambassador of they're major sponsor while still playing another sport.

The NZRU wouldn't let it happen the other way around...

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Haven't you travelled ? I was in Beijing last month and there are billboards everywhere with pictures of Laurie Daley and Mal Meninga.

John Ribot was such a forward thinker...

Your parents took advantage of the children travel free deal hey?

Game_Breaker

Coach
You'll see the problem when it comes to semi final time with SBW and the Roosters in the thick of it...

Here in NZ you will start seeing posters of SBW in All Black jerseys etc...

It may not be a big deal to many people here... But what we're talking about is brand protection.

The NRL need to be more proactive when protecting they're brand.

I understand your concern, but I don't think this example is too concerning.

I'll give you another example, asics is a major partner of the Wallabies, yet they also sponsor the Raiders, Panthers, Warriors, Cronk, Thurston and Inglis.

What's the difference between the Adidas sponsorship and the asics sponsorship?

Sporting brands can't afford to be exclusive to one sport, or even one football code.

Latest posts