What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW and Toronto

Pommy

Coach
He's de-registered, not banned. I reckon he would have a good case if, after a year, he took the NRL/RFL to court for restraint of trade given we have equal scum bags running around in first grade.

Either way that’s his fight to fight as it stands Toronto can’t sign sign him.
Plus given the political nature of Canada I don’t think they would be very interested in signing a player who has effectively been banned for domestic violence immediately prior to them signing him.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think SBW will make a hell of a difference in a relegation fight. He will still dominate in the superleague not too mention the financial benefit.
Either way that’s his fight to fight as it stands Toronto can’t sign sign him.
Plus given the political nature of Canada I don’t think they would be very interested in signing a player who has effectively been banned for domestic violence immediately prior to them signing him.

Yeh hes not exactly a good news story, but we do love a good redemption story in RL! (and NFL for that matter). I wonder which would be a better outcome for them long term, the short term media hype of signing SBW or winning SL in their first two years? 5mill quid + cap gets you a very competitive squad to achieve the latter!

Pommy

Coach
Yeh hes not exactly a good news story, but we do love a good redemption story in RL! (and NFL for that matter). I wonder which would be a better outcome for them long term, the short term media hype of signing SBW or winning SL in their first two years? 5mill quid + cap gets you a very competitive squad to achieve the latter!

I mean I don’t understand why you seem to think they can’t sign SBW a single marquee player and build a squad.
I don’t understand why the two are mutually exclusive.

RedVee

First Grade
Not at that price! I'd rather have 3-4 real quality players to build our future on. I get that they are getting a lot of short term media exposure out of it but that wont do them any good come September if they are in a relegation battle.

As I understand it there is only one spot as a marquis player under the cap.
These 3-4 players you are talking about still have to come under the cap.

Storm13

Juniors
If they come from another code I believe they are exempt from the cap.

Pommy

Coach

2 marquee players and I believe one union convert. Semi and SBW aren’t union converts having played league before.

deluded pom?

Coach
Not at that price! I'd rather have 3-4 real quality players to build our future on. I get that they are getting a lot of short term media exposure out of it but that wont do them any good come September if they are in a relegation battle.

A 34 year old forward who hasnt played RL for years? You may be right but its a heck of a gamble, unless they have some other decent signings coming in which case he is mainly for publicity value then it is up to them if they want to spend their marketing money in that way.
I never said at that price. You said " A 34 year old $BW whose been out of RL for years isnt going to help if they are in a relegation dog fight." You doubted his commitment to a battle. I disagree.

deluded pom?

Coach
Where do you get a SC of 5 million quid plus from?

Perth Red

Post Whore

they can sign two under marquee signings, and also exemptions for players signed from outside RL hence why they are looking Union.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...nto-at-the-emirates-stadium-press-conference/

Sonny Bill Williams has been unveiled by Toronto Wolfpack for his first press conference at the Emirates Stadium in London, home of Arsenal FC.

Williams, 34, signed a deal with the Wolfpack to become the highest-earning rugby player ever and the biggest signing in Super League history.

He said: “It’s great what Toronto have done and what they’re trying to achieve. It all lined up and as a man of faith I thought it was just meant to be.

“After I spoke to Brian (McDermott), I started watching a few of their games.

brian-mcdermott-PA-48325318.jpg

“I could tell straight away their style is different to other teams and then I made contact with a couple of the Australian players and by all accounts it’s different and there are challenges, but I’ve always had challenges in my journey, so this is nothing I’m not used to.”

An NRL winner with both Sydney Roosters and Canterbury Bulldogs, Williams has established himself as a genuine superstar of rugby, winning two World Cups with the All Blacks.

His two-year deal with Toronto is worth a reported $10m, and his signing is being compared to when David Beckham arrived in the MLS, with the Wolfpack hoping to reap the commercial rewards from having an icon in their line-up.

Williams added: “Overall what they’re trying to achieve on and off the field is something special and instead of looking at the challenge and thinking what if I fail, it’s what if we succeed and I am part of that.

sonny-bill-williams-PA-48325279.jpg

“North America, if that door opens? The opportunities for young players coming through would be amazing for themselves and their families and to say I am a part of that would be something special.

“Once this opportunity come about. It was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down.

“As Toronto players, we are going out there to turn some heads, but also the amount of support the lads have back in Toronto sounds crazy. It is a journey, there is pressure there, but it’s so exciting.”

Toronto: A tiny shop in a hip downtown neighbourhood is not your typical rugby league team headquarters. But not much is typical about the Toronto Wolfpack.

Inside its merchandise store – tucked between a Greek diner and a bakery, and across the road from the Wolfpack’s stadium – last year’s RFL Championship trophy takes pride of place on the counter, ribbons dangling. There is no room to sit down; meetings take place at a cafe down the street.

Just three years old, Canada’s only pro league team is a lean yet slick operation, bringing a start-up’s energy – and disruption – to the 124-year-old game.

Though “Toronto” is in the name, most players are British or Australian – there are no Canadians in the squad. They train, and mostly play, in England, flying to Canada for “home” games.

It might not make much sense, but it is paying off: three seasons after they first fielded a team in
the RFL’s League 1, the former underdogs have made it to the Super League – with a new international-level player to boot.

The signing of Sonny Bill Williams – on a two-year contract, reportedly worth $10 million – was announced as the first winter snow fell in Toronto.

The Wolfpack marked the coincidence on Twitter with an artist’s impression of Williams wearing their jersey, captioned: “It’s Always Sonny in the 6ix” – the nickname of the city he will play for, but not live in.

In a country where ice hockey is king, and in a city saturated with professional sports teams – NHL and NBA, plus Major League Baseball and soccer – league is still little, if at all, known.

The Wolfpack are banking on Williams to change that.

“This is going to shake up the Super League,” head coach Brian McDermott said on the phone from England, where Williams met his teammates this week.

“I don't think anybody makes any apologies in the fact that we're signing on the brand and the profile of Sonny Bill Williams … but first and foremost, number one on the list, he's got to be a good player and he's got to be the player that's made it to what he is today, which is a very honest, hard-working, extremely professional man.”

SBW bowed out of rugby with victory against Wales in the bronze medal World Cup play-off.

Williams will begin training with the Wolfpack in January – a month before their season opener in England (they won’t play in Toronto until two months later, when the snow will have melted).

In the meantime, they will upgrade their 54-year-old stadium to match their top-tier status. Currently, its 9600 seats are concrete benches, its locker rooms are spartan, and there is no big screen – just a dated scoreboard.

SBW and Wolfpack on collision course with KangaroosAdd to shortlist

The Wolfpack will fund most of the upgrades. Its wealthy backer, Toronto-based Australian mining executive David Argyle, has invested millions into building the team’s success.

“As they always say, how do you become a millionaire? You start as a billionaire and then you buy a rugby club,” Argyle told The Sydney Morning Herald at his Toronto restaurant.

Sure, it’s prestigious to own a team, but Argyle said his motive was singular: get more eyes on rugby league, and therefore more rugby league balls into kids’ hands.

“This game needs to be spread wide and far,” Argyle said. “If you look at Beckham and the LA Galaxy, he helped to legitimise football in North America. Our objective is bigger, better, faster, stronger, and that's the way you actually get more engagement from the youth.”

He added, with a grin: “Sonny Bill is bigger, better, faster, stronger than David Beckham, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Pele and Cristiano Ronaldo combined.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sm...-in-wolfpack-master-plan-20191115-p53ax0.html

taste2taste

Juniors
Are we expecting any more signings from Toronto ?
There was talk of Holmes, Wade, Te'o but havnt heard anything since the initial rumours .... Although, it looks like the Cowboys have given up on signing Holmes ... maybe they know something ?

Looking at Toronto's roster they are going to need more than SBW to win games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep they are very light on in the props, halves and fullback position. I'm guessing they've got someone else lined up, they'll probably not get together for preseason training until January so they've got time yet, but not sure what quality is left out there to pick from? I thought Luke might have gone to cover the hooker spot.

deluded pom?

Coach
Yep they are very light on in the props, halves and fullback position. I'm guessing they've got someone else lined up, they'll probably not get together for preseason training until January so they've got time yet, but not sure what quality is left out there to pick from? I thought Luke might have gone to cover the hooker spot.
Seeing as SL kicks off at the end of January I’d like to think TWP will have started pre season already or will be starting very soon.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seeing as SL kicks off at the end of January I’d like to think TWP will have started pre season already or will be starting very soon.

Part of their fractured existence. Some players are pre seasoning in UK, some in Australia, some on their own until after Christmas.

jim_57

Staff member
Are we expecting any more signings from Toronto ?
There was talk of Holmes, Wade, Te'o but havnt heard anything since the initial rumours .... Although, it looks like the Cowboys have given up on signing Holmes ... maybe they know something ?

Looking at Toronto's roster they are going to need more than SBW to win games.

Tuilagi still being rumoured.

I'd like to see them beef up their squad with a solid players. Nixon Putt really impressed me in PNG's games this year, someone like Ryley Jacks would be a solid player in SL and has played for Canada. Just some names off the top of my head.