What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW at odds with the Dogs

Who ever was SBW's manager at the time the contract was signed should never work as a player agent again. $400K INCLUDING leave, super, & FBs is laughable for someone of SBWs caliber & age.

Maybe SBW could look at suing his former manager on the grounds of gross incompetence (or something similar). The Bulldogs have done nothing wrong other than advantage of an incompetent agent. Unless SBW signed the contract under duress, surely he has no case against the Dogs.

Not a chance. SBW made a conscious decision (chose) to sign the contract.

Gus22

Juniors
Not a chance. SBW made a conscious decision (chose) to sign the contract.

Or was he advised to sign by his manager?
As his manager it would have been his job to advise SBW if he thought the deal was a poor one. For SBW to be so pissed off right now you'd have to assume that he was advised it was a good deal. Still - unless he was FORCED to sign it, he should just chalk it up as a lesson in life & get on with it. It's not like he's going to be left pennyless becuase of it.

Last edited:

bulldog

Bench
He states pretty clearly that he passed up more money to stay with the Dogs, you made your choice Sonny - now man up or f^&k off, I really don't give a **** either way any more. It's great to have a player of his calibre in my teams colours, but he needs to want to wear them or he'll just be a cancer eating away at the place. Give him his pay and send him packing, we're better than this bloke.

bartman

Immortal
Hurry up and go to Union and take that wanker who you think is your manager, as against the reality of him being your master, with you.
Agree. Personally I don't think SBW is worth $400K before or after tax. **** off to the All Blacks or some cushy French Union side Sonny, and stop your whinging! :x

The game is bigger than one person, or any of these "marquee stars" and their grubby player managers. Joey and Fordham started the rot by demanding third party special treatments or else he'd walk to Union or whatever...

The league should have just let all the greedy ****s go, instead of setting precedents and opening the door for grubs like SBW and his Gollum. Then we might just be left with guys who's main interest is in playing the game and earning a decent living from it, not simply prostituting themselves for the maximum coin.

Or was he advised to signed by his manager?
As his manager it would have been his job to advise SBW if he thought the deal was a poor one. For SBW to be so pissed off right now you'd have to assume that he was advised it was a good deal.

Its similar to the client/lawyer relationship. The client asks questions and the lawyer informs the client of the facts and the client then instructs the lawyer to take action. There is no case for the player manager to answer.

In any case, the article over hypes these supposed unfair conditions of the contract. for instance, take the bit about there being no increase of the annual sum over the life of the contract. It makes little or no difference in the scheme of things to say, i will give you $2m over 5 years or I will give you say $370k + annual CPI increases fixed at 2.5% commencing at the end of year 1 (example only). Either way it totals a similar amount.

Some terms & conditions are really just semantics to be negotiated (ad nauseum)

Wicks

Juniors
Its similar to the client/lawyer relationship. The client asks questions and the lawyer informs the client of the facts and the client then instructs the lawyer to take action. There is no case for the player manager to answer.

And lawyers never give bad advice Never brought their field into disrepute :sarcasm:

The criticism is harsh if he trusted his previous manager and the club more than he should have

There are few players in the position SBW was in with the cultural background salary position personality decisions to be made and so forth

If SBW was naive it seems like he no longer is He deserves some latitude That is how I read it

Pierced Soul

First Grade
they offered him $450K over 3 years and took the less amount of $400 over 5, thats his call.

he prob took the 5 year option cos he'll barely be walking by then and will be trying to play 1 game a season to get his contract paid out.

And lawyers never give bad advice Never brought their field into disrepute :sarcasm:

I was responding to Gus22. Bad overreaction and where did i say lawyers never gave poor advice. :sarcasm:

The criticism is harsh if he trusted his previous manager and the club more than he should have

What criticism :sarcasm:

There are few players in the position SBW was in with the cultural background salary position personality decisions to be made and so forth

So what :crazy:

If SBW was naive it seems like he no longer is He deserves some latitude That is how I read it

Where am i not allowing SBW latitude ? :sarcasm:

Ill directed stupid post.

Last edited:
SBW should be paid much more than that.

he probably has a case against his old agent.

id hate to see SBW and Gaz going to RU.

the game needs to keep its superstars, not losing them to rival sports.

the dogs will end up paying him around $200,000 pa more to stay and that will be the end of it.

they cant afford to lose him and they have money under the cap to move

stuke

Bench
they offered him $450K over 3 years and took the less amount of $400 over 5, thats his call.

he prob took the 5 year option cos he'll barely be walking by then and will be trying to play 1 game a season to get his contract paid out.

exactly. would he knock back the money if his form drops or he is injured and misses a season?

he signed it, he should honour it.

Wicks

Juniors
I only responded to

The rest was a general response but it does follow on from my initial post

The rest of what you wrote is as inane and ignorant as

There is no case for the player manager to answer.

Gus22 has similiar points to me anyway So no luck there either

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
i'm sorry, who the hell is the media thinking to be publicising contracts? As for sonny, if he wants more money he can hit the road. Otherwise, honour his contract and get on with it. At the moment he's getting paid for sitting on the sideline ffs!

Does that show anything we didn't already know?? At the time of signing it was well publicised that he had signed a $2m 5 year deal. What great relevation is in that extract.

Tommax25

Bench
Agree. Personally I don't think SBW is worth $400K before or after tax. **** off to the All Blacks or some cushy French Union side Sonny, and stop your whinging! :x

are you serious he's not worth 400,000? id take him manly for 600,000, he is heaps good. He's the only good or decent player the dogs have right now, they should be handing him a signed cheque and telling him to write in whatever amount he wants, because without him the dogs would be 0-11 for the year

I only responded to

The rest was a general response but it does follow on from my initial post

The rest of what you wrote is as inane and ignorant as

Gus22 has similiar points to me anyway So no luck there either

I will explain this simply for you :

1) Gus suggested SBWs player manager could potentially be sued for wrong advice or similar
2) I said no (and by way of an exampled explanation) he couldnt because the professional relationship between player & his player manager is similar to a lawyer/client relationship in that the advice given still requires SBW to INSTRUCT his player manager. This instruction would deny a viable case to sue the player manager for some sort of professional incompetence/misconduct etc
3) you chime in with some rubbish insinuating that I have suggested lawyers dont give bad advice and that the remainder of my post was somehow wrong.

Try reading the posts. Learn context. Stop being a twat. Cease being incorrect, on matters outside your understanding.

Since youve been incapable of understanding this issue i have safely quarantined your inane & ignorant comment in the bin where it belongs.

Last edited:

stuke

Bench
are you serious he's not worth 400,000? id take him manly for 600,000, he is heaps good. He's the only good or decent player the dogs have right now, they should be handing him a signed cheque and telling him to write in whatever amount he wants, because without him the dogs would be 0-11 for the year

if you are paying $600 000 for one player for 5 years your team would crumble. no-one in the game is worth that much money.

Latest posts