What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW back in the NRL in 2013

Ozzy

First Grade
I totally agree with El Maseri and the Bulldogs players. SBW (Stupid Bloody Wanker) should not be allowed back into the NRL as he made his bed and should be made to lay in it. Are the chooks going to repay the contract money that SBW wasted when he decided to up and leave his club and team mates for more money. At the least either SBW or the chooks should have to repay the Bulldogs for his treachery. In the end SBW is a has been and he will not be able to successfully compete at the NRL level for a full season as he'll break down through injuries. Why risk the money on a has been who is prone to injury. It's the same for Falou, although he left on amicable terms and realised that the AFL is a girls game and wanted back in the NRL.
An apology would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You do realise that he isn't the first player to walk out mid-contract without an agreement from the club. One Tallis comes to mind. Did the Bronx pay compensation to St George? Did Tallis apologise? Neither played RL for the duration of what was left of their contract.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think you need to look at El Masri's comments from his point of view as a player rather than as a fan. He felt betrayed because the Dogs were doing it hard that year, and the best player in the club walked out leaving the rest to look even worse than they were. That said, getting him off our books allowed us to reinvent the club via some good recruitment and lots of salary cap space.

I'm sure some Bullodgs fans also harbour that disappointment / anger as well, similar to how some Parra fans still feel about Jamie Lyon.

As for me, I am happy he is back in the game, and it should be exciting to watch, plus when he finally gets to play the Dogs, I am sure we will get 40k+ to the game just to yell abuse at SBW.

Valheru

Coach
He should definitely apologise to his team mates at the time, he abandoned them during a tough period. The calls to ban him from the NRL are laughable though, it would be thrown out in court in two seconds. He broke a contract with his employer (the Bulldogs), he isn’t a match fixer or a drug treat or something similar so I fail to see any grounds to ban him.

What the bulldogs could (and did) do is keep the contract registered through to its end (2012) meaning he couldn’t play for a rival club so the argument of compensation has no merit either.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
An apology would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You do realise that he isn't the first player to walk out mid-contract without an agreement from the club. One Tallis comes to mind. Did the Bronx pay compensation to St George? Did Tallis apologise? Neither played RL for the duration of what was left of their contract.

Tallis at least offered to pay out his final year in order to be released. He didn't walk out with little to no warning in the middle of the season.

SBW is the only player that I know of who has walked out mid-contract, mid-season without even notifying anyone. It was a weak move.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Tallis at least offered to pay out his final year in order to be released. He didn't walk out with little to no warning in the middle of the season.

SBW is the only player that I know of who has walked out mid-contract, mid-season without even notifying anyone. It was a weak move.

The dogs took advantage of young SBW signing him for five years to a fraction of his worth.
The Dogs got what they deserved.

bulldog

Bench
He signed an upgraded deal the year before he left, he was our highest paid player when he snuck out, you don't know what you're talking about.

Danish

Referee
Has wouldn't let SBW back in the game hey? Ah well, he wouldn't shake hands with a female dogs fan on the footy show either so I'm not too fussed on his opinions on things.

Actually, I do wonder what ol' moral righteous Haz thought about playing for a salary cap cheating scumbag club? Surely his moral compass would have seen him walk out of there?

gronkathon

First Grade
Roosters fans justifying, thats nice.

Guy is a scumbag and even worse he brings the lowest of all human beings back into the game in Khoder Nasser

Danish

Referee
I thought what he did to the dogs was low (as you'll see if you search through the threads from when it happened), but then he paid his way out of the contract and soon showed everyone that he actually knew what he was doing by making millions.

Whats more, since SBW did his runner there have been some far bigger turds appear in our game, such as the multiple woman bashers who will still be pulling on a jersey next season.