What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW on Footy Show this week

Iafeta

Referee
Need I remind everyone of the cringe worthy comments

OPINION: It's not like winning the World Cup but this feels close to it.
The decision by Sonny Bill Williams to come to New Zealand is a triumph for not just the NZRU or Graham Henry but for the whole country.
For too long we have seen our best rugby union and league stars head overseas, chasing the big money and putting this ahead of representing their country.
But Williams' decision to turn down millions of dollars in France and have a stab at playing for the All Blacks in the World Cup restores the belief that the aura of the black jersey is still there.
It shows, for Williams at least, there is more to being a sportsman than how much money you can make.
It shows there is still pride in being a Kiwi and running out onto a field with a silver fern on your chest.

Choke on that David Long. Firstly, it shows you truly did come down in the last shower. And secondly, that $BW is all about the bling bling. He's the biggest sporting mercenary going around. I'm surprised it took him this long to start advertising his services post the World Cup.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/sport/columnists/3781500/Sonny-Bill-move-a-coup-for-NZRU

Last edited by a moderator:

Iafeta

Referee
Benedict Arnold was an American...

(I know there's no connection, I'm just poking fun at ya bash)

Drzoidberg

Juniors
LOL geez they media can really persuade people.

''Of course league is always an option"

Just because that sentence was published does not say he is already considering his options, does it?

He probably was asked something like......

Is league an option when your contract expires?

Then what are you going to do when your contract expires?

He pretty much gave an I dont know answer

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
I would have thought after all this time in the limelight he would be a little more savvy in the media, his answers aren't the brightest.
Seriously, what would've been wrong with the bog standard 'I am just focussing on my role in NZ rugby and aren't looking further than that...'
I suppose you could argue he's naiive and honest...IMO it just shows he lacks commitment and is not a team player at all.
At least it shows he is more than happy to go back and be 'treated like cattle' again ;-)

Micistm

Bench
Just so over the guy. SO over. There may be some Rugby Heads high fiving he's in Canty, most are a bit perplexed by it all and wondering if he's worth all the circus media. A friends Dad asked me last night about him while we were watching the ABs what he was like, as he doesn't follow League at all- Whether he's actually any good, and if he was good in League.
My opinion has remained the same all the way through, even before the sh*t treatment of the club that nurtured the guy: He was a good League player; great even. But not the be all and end all made out IMO. Rugby player I have no idea. But the guy is so about the self I personally wouldn't pick him for any team I was selecting for based on the Champion team, not team of champions premise.

I remembered one Sonny Fai, god rest his soul, smoking SBW and leaving him spluttering dust on the ground! That was awesome to see.

Martli

Coach
SBW was a good league player but was also very overhyped. Most of his drawing power comes from the media beat up and isn't really based on anything real in my opinion. I guess you could say he's somewhat built on a superficial foundation.

He's going to have to hope for injuries in the AB's midfield if he wants to break in to the starting XV, especially after that performance. He'll get in on name alone, probably at the expense of a younger dude like Benson Stanley, and to be honest I reckon it will be to the AB's detriment. Time will tell I guess.

Latest posts