What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW on Footy Show this week

shiznit

Coach
Yes, just over a mill with the NZRU. You do realise there will be payments from third parties also.
lmfao.... your the only one speaking out of there arse....

i can guarantee you that his contract from the NZRFU will be stock standard 150K per season up front... with an extra 350K per season if he makes the all blacks.

your right about one thing though... he will have substantial 3rd party deals.... probably from adidas.

but those arent from the NZRFU... if hes a success he will keep those deals well after he leaves NZ Rugby...

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Oh well...its whats going around in the local Union circles and from some very senior men. I doubt it would be far off the mark if its around the whole of Auckland.

Id take that as more of a source than your own 'guarantee' haha

Lego_Man

First Grade
Gee the NZRU are going to have their hands full keeping him under control.

Hopefully he's mediocre and comes back to League after his ban expires.

shiznit

Coach
Oh well...its whats going around in the local Union circles and from some very senior men. I doubt it would be far off the mark if its around the whole of Auckland.

Id take that as more of a source than your own 'guarantee' haha
well your 'senior' union men are talking porkies...

the maximum that tew and his bumboys can offer is 600K. and for any amounts over 350K they need to be current or recent all blacks.

any contracts over 600K has to be approved by the NZRU board... and when the Board gets involved the details are usually leaked to the media.

so the fact the media hasn't been mentioning this million dollar figure means its absolute rubbish...

my guarantee is over the fact that i know a current board member. i asked him about SBW on tuesday... and he had no idea at all as they haven't been involved in any recruitment since they made the offer to Carl Hayman.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
obviously the board member would say that, hes not going to just tell anyone willy nilly, is he?

shiznit

Coach
obviously the board member would say that, hes not going to just tell anyone willy nilly, is he?
LOL... hes told me about far more important things than SBW's contract details...

the reason he hasnt heard anything is because the offer wasnt high enough for them to get involved with.

like i said.... if it was over 600K it would have been leaked to the media by now.

Micistm

Bench
I'm sure anything about SBWs contract that is 'under the table' or more than the norm will be out in the media pretty damn quick if true...there's other talk around of the likes of perhaps Rugby Sevens opportunities (ie Medal to dangle in front of camp Mudine for Kudos), pretty much guarantees of AB position unless he's appallingly bad, third party deals set up and the like to to make the pay drop 'not so bad'...And so on.
Nothing proven, nothing official...and there's going to be this speculation for months.
What does it matter really? If his money comes from third party deals that's their business. That doesn't bother me. This whole thing leaves me a bit cynical though. I know sport nowadays is all about the dollars, all about win at all costs even if your soul is sold...but this just emphasises it to the point of being disturbing.
Will I be cheering if he plays a blinder in the WC and helps bring the WC here? I honestly don't know. There will ALWAYS be in the back of my mind the immature morally bankrupt SBW that accused the Doggies of racism, that dissed the game but pops on the Footy show for a fee when it suits him, the idea of the money hungry opportunist group of so and sos he hangs with, and the issue once he's ticked the box on his list of making the ABs he'll be off again.
It's a free market and he can do what he wants of course providing he stops running out on teams and contracts, but the mercanary style leaves me cold

Im unsure if i want him coming to the Crusaders, being as im from Christchurch and a huge fan.

Crusdaers pride themselves on a team enviroment. Everything is about the team. Good players come into the enviroment and leave great players. Players buy into the system and becos of this the system is successfull. Some of the players who have come in to the Crusaders from outside the catchment area and excelled are

Norm Maxwell
Norm Berryman
Ron Cribb
Ali Williams
Rico Gear
Brad Thorn

Some great individuals there have believed in the Crusaders system and have reaped the benefits from it. This is where i think Sonny will struggle. He seems to come across as he wants the SBW brand to be successful and its all about the SBW name. Two of the Crusaders and All Blacks greatest players ever Dan carter and Richie McCaw worry about nothing but their performances not about getting their image out to the public.

McCaw and Carter are 2 on NZs top rugby earners, this has a lot to do with the type of personalities they are and their charisma. I cant even name who their managers are. Dont know their names. So then we have the manager of Sonny, Khoder Nasser. He has to be in the papers all the time, he has to be on camera at least once a week. This will not sit well with the Crusaders heirachy who dislike any outside distractions and thats what he will be. Sonny cant seem to talk for himself or have the personality to hold the interviews that people want, and the NZ public will not stand for Nasser to be his puppet.

And then if he makes the All Blacks

His last 2 interviews on the footy show have been a bit disturbing, he has wanked on about 4 billion people watch the Rugby World Cup and its something he wants to be part of and the All Blacks are the biggest sporting brand in the world etc etc. Again its Nasser telling him to get his Brand out there. McCaw and Carter will never say that they will say the want to win the WC and retain the Bledisloe from Aussie.

Good luck to Sonny hope he does well. If his manager stays out of it and keeps a low low profile and we dont get all this drama before the World Cup about where Sonny will go after the World Cup then he should go ok

Time will tell

ozbash

Referee
If GH has any say in it (does he ? ) I reckon SBW will go to ChCh where he will become 'educated' by the likes of Brad Thorn and Richie McCaw...

Meth

Staff member
If GH has any say in it (does he ? ) I reckon SBW will go to ChCh where he will become 'educated' by the likes of Brad Thorn and Richie McCaw...

Where ever he goes, he needs to be outside a good first five

Micistm

Bench
One thing for certain- he is heading for a fall in the media and that won't really be his fault. Looking at the Sunday News yesterday, they were creaming themselves over him...which gives me the feeling the media here are going for the 'build them up, knock them down approach' often used. TBH I feel for him a bit in that case.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
One thing for certain- he is heading for a fall in the media and that won't really be his fault. Looking at the Sunday News yesterday, they were creaming themselves over him...which gives me the feeling the media here are going for the 'build them up, knock them down approach' often used. TBH I feel for him a bit in that case.

The guys had worse.

Micistm

Bench
Lol, there's talk through reports Mr SBW is looking at options to move on after his tour of duty in NZRU is up...maybe NRL, europe RU etc.
Un****ing believable. Seriously, why does this guy bother with team sports when he's clearly a Mundine out for #1 clone? And it would be nice if in a team he focuses on it instead of looking ahead just after signing!