What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW will not play again this year

Parra

Referee
The correct tense is deserved.

They no longer have SBW. They have taught him well.

bartman

Immortal
What is the ultimate aim if they don't want him back but they don't want him to play somewhere else?
Will this simply end with the Dogs getting compensation and releasing SBW from his contract.
Yes. I believe the ultimate aim would be for SBW's NRL contract to be unheld leaglly, and his actions in leaving overseas mid-contract to be legally recognised as a breach, and for compensation for that breach to be payable by SBW/Toulon/and whoever is found to entice the breach (Khoder?).

Ultimately SBW would continue his life, earning his blood money, minus a bit going back to the Dogs. There's no way he'd be held to it to come back to the club (and continue to be a bad influence) or play NSW Cup. It goes beyond any individual club, and is action that all clubs (and their fans) should support.

What the game as a whole achieves through the court action is showing all players that if you sign something, you can only legally absolve it with the permission of the party you've signed it with (your club or employer). Without that principle upheld, the whole framework of players being signed to domestic clubs (instead of an overall central body) collapses somewhat.

Hopefully there is some recognition of damages in there too, so that players in the future can be aware that they're not just liable for their contract money for the years in question, but for something extra on top (that could be put into a central NRL pool or legal fund), that reduces the attractiveness of this sugar daddy money on offer internationally.

Once this is all confirmed in court, the game will only lose the occasional player that matters overseas to places like Toulon. And we will know that it will be players whose main motivation is and has always been the money anyway. Let them go, life goes on. There are always more players coming through than are leaving, the stars in the making who are a pleasure to watch (before they get to overpaid prima donna stage).

Last new in France:
Umaga will see Williams
President of Toulon, Mourad Boudjellal, indicated that the New Zealand star of rugby league, Sonny Bill Williams will meet " this week " Tana Umaga, to discuss its passage in XV and its possible transfer to the French club.

Williams " wish to meet Tana and to speak with him, it is what what is going to take place this week. Then, we shall communicate on the subject ", declared Boudjellal to AFP, closes to the telephone in Orlando (United States) where he is actually on holidays.

0neye

He will have to pay all that money back to the Dogs that is if he ever gets any form the rare rare club in foggie land $_$

William in Toulon, it is made!
The third lines New Zealander Sonny Bill Williams, star of the australian team of rugby league, Canterbury, will be on Monday or Tuesday in Toulon to finalize its commitment with the RCT.
" William will be on Monday or Tuesday in Toulon. We discussed with his agents and we are going to try to succeed. If everything takes place well, he will spend the medical examination on Tuesday and could make his debuts in friendly match on Friday "

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/message-in-a-battle/2008/08/03/1217701853497.html

Message in a battle

Brad Walter and Adrian Proszenko | August 4, 2008

BULLDOGS coach Steve Folkes sent a terse 62-word farewell text message to Sonny Bill Williams after the New Zealand international walked out on the club.

Before his shock departure last Saturday, Williams had barely been on speaking terms with Folkes but after learning that his star player, who turned 23 yesterday, had flown out of Sydney to take up a lucrative rugby union deal in France, the Bulldogs mentor sent him the text message.

In it, he told Williams the bold move was "the worst decision of yr life", warned he would lose "the respect of everyone" and suggested the Kiwis superstar had put money ahead of his "integrity".

Folkes also declared he was "lost for words" by Williams's actions and advised: "I cannot stick up for u on this one".

Despite saying "you hav allowed others to run yr life", he finished by telling Williams he "alone" was "accountable".

The message, obtained by the Herald, provides a clear insight into the mood of Folkes, who told Williams he felt "betrayed personally".

But the Herald can reveal that Williams's relationship with Folkes had been strained for some time and in an interview earlier this year he said that the coach rarely spoke to him - despite his standing at the club and in the game.

One of the more in-depth conversations he had with Folkes was when the coach approached him after an article incorrectly speculated that he was set to become a muslim after dumping his agent Gavin Orr for Anthony Mundine's manager Khoder Nasser. After asking if the story was true, Folkes told Williams it would be a "joke" if he converted to Islam and advised him to stay away from Mundine.

It is understood Folkes's comments were raised by Williams's camp during a meeting with Bulldogs officials at a Brighton restaurant in June.

Asked about the Williams text message, Folkes said: "The fact he is prepared to forward what is supposedly a private and confidential text message reinforces that he has gone off the rails, in my opinion.

"I got a response but Sonny wouldn't want that response printed and I'm not going to give it to you. The fact that he is prepared to toss that up to a paper, I think, is a pretty ordinary thing to do.

"On the back of what he has done it confirms there is something wrong with his head."

With Folkes announcing earlier in the year that he would stand down at the end of the season, Williams hoped Stephen Kearney would be appointed as his replacement and if the New Zealand coach had been given the job there was a good chance he would still be at the club.

The opportunity to play under the coaching of Tana Umaga, the first player of Samoan heritage to skipper the All Blacks, was a significant factor in his decision to quit the Bulldogs to play rugby union for Toulon.

Umaga spent three days with Kearney in Melbourne last month and told the Storm assistant coach of his plans to poach Williams.

"He [Umaga] got me a little beauty," Kearney said of his 1991 Junior Kiwis teammate. "I was certainly aware of his interest in Sonny and he was here doing the sly. Tana was upfront with me.

"He said, 'I've spoken to Sonny's management group', and he made sure to keep me in the loop of what was going on."

Having been helping to mentor Williams, Kearney said he was aware of "private" issues that contributed to his decision to walk out on the Bulldogs.

"If Sonny hadn't been in a position he was in, I'm not too sure he would have made that move to Toulon," Kearney told Fairfax's Sunday News in New Zealand. "Had a few other areas in his life been more settled, we probably wouldn't be talking today about it.

"I could sense his frustration with a few things when we talked.

"As a friend, those issues are between him and I and that's how they should stay.

"I'm not saying what he did was the right thing to do but he is a young guy … and we have to look at exactly why he made this decision.

"I think he was dealing with a lot of issues and I don't think his situation is over."

Patorick

Staff member
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/williams-in-toulon-to-finalise-contract-20080804-3pg3.html

Williams in Toulon to finalise contract

August 4, 2008 - 9:55AM

Run-away NRL star Sonny Bill Williams will be in Toulon on Monday or Tuesday to finalise his contract, the French rugby union club says.
The president of the Toulon club, Mourad Boudjellal, said everything was on course for him to sign and make his debut in a friendly on Friday.
Boudjellal told AFP: "Williams will be in Toulon on Monday or Tuesday. We have discussed things with his agents and we are going to try and complete the move.
"If everything goes well, he will have his medical on Tuesday and could make his debut in a friendly match on Friday" against Carqueirannes-Hyeres.
The 22-year-old, a star player for Australian rugby league side Canterbury, has decided to move to the 15-a-side game and team up with Toulon's coach and former All Black Tana Umaga.
Born in Auckland, Williams has a Samoan passport allowing him to by-pass European limits on foreign players.
His departure from Australia incurred the anger of Canterbury officials who are attempting to legally enforce his NRL contract and prevent a feared drain of rugby league's elite players to cashed-up European clubs.
© 2008 AFP

Patorick

Staff member
Would you expect more from him?

BTW, this smells of Weidler.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
i guess not. ive kind of gone past anger now...more into dissapointment and sadness. i find the whole thing really depressing.

Kiki

First Grade
yes but im a rugby league fan first. SBW leaving the way he did wasnt just a kick in the guts for dogs fans, it pissed everyone off.

also my grandma is a massive doggies fan and seeing her so upset over it breaks my heart.

jdizzle

Juniors
yes but im a rugby league fan first. SBW leaving the way he did wasnt just a kick in the guts for dogs fans, it pissed everyone off.

In fairness though, the Bulldogs didn't really treat SBW very well. You can talk about the contract length and money but the club actually didn't treat him well in other areas.

And if you look at it from a different perspective. This wasn't a surprise. He has made it publicly known for the past 3-4 months that he is unhappy with what was then the status quo.

Don't accuse me of defending him either. He should have let his team-mates know at the very least. But the Bulldogs aren't necessarily the innocent party people make out.

Kiki

First Grade
whatever. im not going to argue any more about SBW. this forum did all that over a week ago. we have moved on somewhat.

i just think its really tacky for people to enjoy the dogs rough time thats all.

Loudstrat

Coach
Worth a bump. SBW has changed - matured and grown up. Its great to have him this year - but reading this thread in the light of "best backrower ever" thoughts - I cannot recall a player having so little disregard for the code than SBW did back then.