What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW's grievance list

Winston Smith

Juniors
it is disgraceful when you compare it to afl and rugby union in this country. these players play in possibly the most physical team sport on earth, in the most popular domestic rugby competition on earth and in a sport thats played in over 30 countries. our top players (and sbw is one of them) do not get paid fairly in comparison to other sports stars. the fact a certain western force rugby union player, who would barely make the toyota cup is on 3 times what sonny bill is on is a disgrace.

AFL has only overtaken RL in player payments in roughly the last 20 years. AFL has succesfully managed to get bigger crowds, memberships, sponsorships and media rights, hence bigger player payments. Superior management has played a big role in its success, compared to NRL. Also the fact it is a more national game.

RU may be off the pace in Australia but is huge in South Africa and NZ and the 6 nations in Europe - thats where the money comes from to pay the players. (Note also I've been travelling in Asia a bit lately and Super 14 is the only sport from Australia I've seen on TV anywhere there).

As for Matt Giteau and his salary, I'd dispute your assessment of his ability. I reckon he'd go well at RL, but why would he for 1/3 the money.

The problem for RL is that even the current salary cap is a stretch for several club's finances. The game, for whatever reasons, just does not bring in enough money.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
we have outrated the afl nationally on tv for the last couple of years, we are an international sport and our players play a more physically demanding sport with more games each year. our game has been undersold and our players dont get enough money.

How the f**k is league an International sport, seriously?

nqboy

First Grade
AFL has only overtaken RL in player payments in roughly the last 20 years. AFL has succesfully managed to get bigger crowds, memberships, sponsorships and media rights, hence bigger player payments. Superior management has played a big role in its success, compared to NRL. Also the fact it is a more national game.
Also the fact they weren't bankrupted in a war and taken over by a media mogul who buys and sells their TV rights at mate's rates.

hutch

First Grade
Superior management has played a big role in its success, compared to NRL.

id say that is the main point right there.

As for Matt Giteau and his salary, I'd dispute your assessment of his ability. I reckon he'd go well at RL, but why would he for 1/3 the money.

The problem for RL is that even the current salary cap is a stretch for several club's finances. The game, for whatever reasons, just does not bring in enough money.

giteau would struggle to make the nrl. as a whole the nrl has a lot more money than the aru, but yeah, it is stretched thin across the clubs as we stand. perhaps if we hadnt undersold ourselves, it might be different.

Latest posts