What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schoolboy Prodigy's Vs Late Bloomers

The Partisan

A quick review of the last Saturday's Australian Team and the register of players who represented Australia at Schoolboy level provides the fact that only two (2) players who started last week were also Schoolboys reps. Any Guesses ???

ANSWER: Danny Buderus and Tonie Carroll.

Does this interesting fact mean that some people peak earlier or later than others in football skills terms or is it merely a case of the the strong and dedicated survive ???

roopy

Referee
I think it is true in most sports that late bloomers often make up the majority at senior level.

I have always believed that we should cast the net a lot wider when looking for junior talent - we should try to get hundreds of kids to play and recieve top coaching, rather than try to identify the next Andrew Johns at age 12.

Billy Peden was one of the best ever at Newcastle because of his attitude and work ethic - but he didn't make his start with the Knights till age 23 - Kurt Gidley was too small to play for the Knights junior sides and was picked up as a 19 year old when he started to grow a bit - Mark Hughes didn't get a run at the Knights till after he had played in a Newcastle grandfinal as an 18 year old. The Knights are now picking up two or three players every year from the local comp who are all 'late bloomers' like Hall, Carmont, Spiteri and Salkeld last season and Todd Maddison and Kurt Hancock for next season (and maybe Garth Ross).
I think money would be better spent on the junior system by organising as many coaching clinics and carnivals open to all as possible - rather than concentrating on elite players as we do.

Latest posts