What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scrap the Haka

Snappy

Coach
It's like a 1 minute delay is it really hurting you that much?

While they do their song and dance, the aussies have to stand around doing nothing and getting cold. If the Aussies went to the back of the field and started warming up and preparing for kick off the kiwis would have a whinge about not respecting their little dance.

vvvrulz

Coach
The haka is a waste of time between warm up and start of play. Both teams get their national anthem played, and then the aussies have to wait around whilst the kiwis perform their stupid song and dance routine.

Either have the national anthem or the haka, not both.

Yeah, real subtle Mr Troll.

Generally, I am supporting whoever maybe playing New Zealand in any sport...well anyone not named France, England, or a Sydneyside NRL club...but I do tune in earlier to watch the Haka.

I wouldn't mind if other teams found more creative ways to stare down or challenge the Haka. I was greatly disappointed to hear that France (or whoever it was) were fined for walking up to the Haka at the Union World Cup last year.

I even once pondered culturally appropriate ways of challenging the Haka, but stopped when the thought of the Scottish Union team marching up to the All Blacks in kilts and mooning them crossed my mind.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I like the haka.

Faced one, fires both up.

Also the only f**king game where the athems should be played.

Can handle Aussie one for SoO. Both states of.

NRL games, finals, GFs no place, no place at all.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I don't mind the delay, and I like the spectacle, but I don't think that it's necessarily very equitable.

The HAKA is used by the team doing it to intimidate the other team, but more importantly, to fire themselves up. There was a thread posted on here recently about the positive effects that celebrating a try/goal etc has on team performance. It's apprently quite measurable and successful celebrations have characteristics that they have been able to detirmine as most effective. Something like the Haka ticks all of those boxes.

It is therefore entirely reasonable to argue that it provides a team with an unfair advantage, particularly when it forms a key part of the build up and is featured in the way it is with the opposing team unable to turn their backs and ignore it etc. Not only are they ALLOWED to perform the Haka, but the other team is basically FORCED to watch.

Let them do a Haka for the crowd if they must during their warm up, but when the teams run on, it should be scrupulously fair in terms of even treatment for both teams.

The ozzie team could always sing Waltzing matilda :D

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Generally, I am supporting whoever maybe playing New Zealand in any sport...well anyone not named France, England, or a Sydneyside NRL club...but I do tune in earlier to watch the Haka.

I wouldn't mind if other teams found more creative ways to stare down or challenge the Haka. I was greatly disappointed to hear that France (or whoever it was) were fined for walking up to the Haka at the Union World Cup last year.

I even once pondered culturally appropriate ways of challenging the Haka, but stopped when the thought of the Scottish Union team marching up to the All Blacks in kilts and mooning them crossed my mind.

Thats all they have to do...much respect & much mana to the teams that face up to it...its their perogative. Maori teams facing other Maori teams always answer in a meaningful way - whether they ignore it, do their own 'haka' or simply do something that ignites their own team (like standing tall, arm in arm & staring them down) anything...even moving up chest to chest its good stuff & the right thing to do. Doesn't have to give the NZ team an advantage if you don't let it. And it won't because Oz teams have learnt to deal with it over the years - treating it as a non-event is the perfect answer. having said that, it stirs my blood no end!

shinobi

Juniors
Thats all they have to do...much respect & much mana to the teams that face up to it...its their perogative. Maori teams facing other Maori teams always answer in a meaningful way - whether they ignore it, do their own 'haka' or simply do something that ignites their own team (like standing tall, arm in arm & staring them down) anything...even moving up chest to chest its good stuff & the right thing to do. Doesn't have to give the NZ team an advantage if you don't let it. And it won't because Oz teams have learnt to deal with it over the years - treating it as a non-event is the perfect answer. having said that, it stirs my blood no end!

I agree. I'm Maori so of course i love a good haka and love it even better when the opposition stand their and eyeballs the other team, ready to accept the challenge saying "You dont scare us".

hutch

First Grade
The haka is awesome, but I don't believe ignoring it is being culturally insensitive.

The Haka is such a wank. The sheep lovers put more effort in to their poofy pre match dance than playing football. It's especially hilarious to see the kiwi gronks in the crowd joining in :lol:

Unlike Australians we embrace the indigenous people of NZ and their culture, we don't send them to reservations in the outback or steal generations of their children

I appreciate and respect the cultural significance of it.

That being said I think they look like people off their head on goey when they do it and I always feel more then a little embarrassed for them.....

Maybe thats why they get belted every ANZAC test? Put too much energy into the Haka?

Wilson1

Juniors
I don't mind the delay, and I like the spectacle, but I don't think that it's necessarily very equitable.

The HAKA is used by the team doing it to intimidate the other team, but more importantly, to fire themselves up. There was a thread posted on here recently about the positive effects that celebrating a try/goal etc has on team performance. It's apprently quite measurable and successful celebrations have characteristics that they have been able to detirmine as most effective. Something like the Haka ticks all of those boxes.

It is therefore entirely reasonable to argue that it provides a team with an unfair advantage, particularly when it forms a key part of the build up and is featured in the way it is with the opposing team unable to turn their backs and ignore it etc. Not only are they ALLOWED to perform the Haka, but the other team is basically FORCED to watch.

Let them do a Haka for the crowd if they must during their warm up, but when the teams run on, it should be scrupulously fair in terms of even treatment for both teams.

When was the last time the Kiwis did the haka against Australia and came out and scored a few quick tries? I don't remember it happening. Ever.

Wilson1

Juniors
I appreciate and respect the cultural significance of it.

That being said I think they look like people off their head on goey when they do it and I always feel more then a little embarrassed for them.....

Maybe thats why they get belted every ANZAC test? Put too much energy into the Haka?

We get belted because we are shit and generally don't care about league. The haka doesn't seem to trouble the All Blacks very much?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
When was the last time the Kiwis did the haka against Australia and came out and scored a few quick tries? I don't remember it happening. Ever.

Probably 2005 at ANZ, they were 18-0 after 20 minutes.

Also in 2002 when they belted Jason Stevens (I think?) in the first tackle and scored not long after. They lost that game, but did win in 2005.

Probably right, but you have to back it up after leading the haka. Best example is Ruben Wiki led the haka plenty of times and really fired up the Kiwis in the match.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
I have no problem with the Haka. It'll be a sad day if there is a faction out there that puts their time and energy into scrapping it. There are more pressing concerns in this world.

Latest posts