What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scrums: Let's Make 'Em Useful Again...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ok, another random thread about rule changes based on the ramblings of the media (i didnt read the article, but the headline gave the gist)...

Scrums, nowadays, dont serve much purpose and slow the game right down; i don think anyone missed them during the 9s tournament.

They do work at thinning out a defence, its just that, on the first play, no one is going to go for anything fancy to take advantage, So.....

What if scrums were completely taken out of the game EXCEPT for post-try Power Plays (come up with a better name though).

For the chance to convert for 4 instead of 2, a team gets a scrum 10m out and one play to score a try. It would make scrums useful and exciting again AND it would get rid of the idea that a 7 point lead is a winning margin, so a few more exciting finishes...

What do you all think????

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I'd be down for a tap and go. Scrums in Rugby League are a relic of an era that is long gone, and any continued improvement to differentiate us from Yawnion is always welcome.

Patorick

Staff member
Threads, lets make them useful again.

I'm fine with them the way they are.

Just make scrums and play the balls contested again.
Sterling-Archer-Slapping-Cyril.gif

POPEYE

Coach
Said it many times before I know but scrums are necessary to take forwards out of play . . . must only be comprised of jumpers 9-17, irrelevant otherwise

Card Shark

Immortal
If they are gunna pack em, get them to bind. They are barely touching each other, particularly the locks.

Players are so loose, it's like someone has farted in the there.

Shots from the overhead camera have highlighted this.

POPEYE

Coach
If they are gunna pack em, get them to bind. They are barely touching each other, particularly the locks.

Players are so loose, it's like someone has farted in the there.

Shots from the overhead camera have highlighted this.

Goes back to taking forwards out of play, just because they don't have to push doesn't mean they should be allowed a head start by not packing properly as you say. Allowing backs to pack in the scrum circumvents the idea of having attacking backs only facing backs in the first couple of tackles . . . mindless attention to detail by the NRL

Parra

Referee
The days of gradually changing the game by stealth should be ended.

Just play under NFL rules now, instead of this slow progression in that direction.

Give the team if they are in the oppositions half the choice of a play-the-ball or a 7 v 7 play, where 6 players have to stand on the touch line, ball starts on the floor 10m in from touch, ball has to be passed in-field from the floor, do whatever you want from then on.

Very gud idea though to give teams the choice of going for 4 points after a try, have a 7 v 7 play as an option instead of going for a conversion.

Lambretta

First Grade
All the forwards have to sit on the ground and play pat a cake, pat a cake until you're up to the second tackle in the tackle count

Then they can all walk slowly back to the defensive line

This will give the backs a chance to run around without being hit by the nasty big ugly slow forwards and make the game look a lot prettier

POPEYE

Coach
May have been a by-product when scrums were used to give teams an opportunity to win possession, once the push became obsolete there can be no reason for having scrums other than taking 6 players out of the contest for as many tackles as possible.

In theory, 6 backs v 6 backs is supposed to inject some razzmatazz however fleetingly into the game, if forwards are allowed to particpate the scrum may as well be replaced by a turnover.