What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scully for GB?

What is Noble going too do with Sculthorpe come 3N time? He's the captain of the side but on form he'd be lukcy to make the touring squad never mind the starting 13. I know the guy has done a lot over the years, especially against Australia on one or two notable occasions, but there are so many players that appear to be better options. It is going to be one of the most interesting selection situations come October and for GB's chances it could be critical. GB has to pick the best side but what if the captain is not good enough to make that side?

bartman

Immortal
I think they'll obviously keep him in the touring squad of 25, but you're right, he'd be struggling to make the top 17 in any position on form.

Maybe he'll end up being tour captain, spokesperson etc, and someone like Peacock (current vice-captain?) will take over as on field captain in the main matches?

So Noble will drop him? That's a big decision. Who was the last incumbant captain (even though Scully is not an incumbant captain really, but he has been named in that role) of GB or Australia to be left out of a team when fully fit and available? Laurie Daley was dropped in 1995 but that was because of SL. It's a big call in any sport. Remember Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh et al all went through this and selectors always stuck with them. But then the Australian cricket side had so much depth picking the very best side didn't seem quite so vital as I believe it is for the GB RL side. Having said that I agree totally. He will be in the squad, however big it is, and probably should be. But he can't be picked on current form and Peacock should be captain again. But I'm not the guy who HAS to make that decision. That man is Brian Noble. Will he do it?

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I don't think Noble will drop him.

Sculthorpe has been one of the top 5 players in the world consistently over the past 8 or so years. Last season and this though the injuries have taken their toll and he is no longer capable of playing at that level. His strength and his speed have gone.

He is only getting into the St Helens side on reputation and stature at the moment, he didn't deserve a place in the final and didn't justify his inclusion.

bartman

Immortal
Too big a call for Noble to make I think, to leave him behind. There's a lot of off-field impacts perhaps too, as Sculthorpe seems a vital face for Gillette's sponsorship etc.

But if he doesn't pick up his form and step up to the mark in the finals, then Noble should have noticed and be willing to go with other options of which there are plenty worth trying in the 17 man line-ups. Sculthorpe's club mates are outshining him at the moment, and that's where he'll face the biggest hurdle - he doesn't have to play well for Saints to play well, so there's no pressure on him.

JasonE

Bench
I agree he is way below his best but i haven't given up on him getting it back, it could take just one great game for his confidence to retuen and snowball from there.
With about 8 weeks to go to the TN's i think Sculthorpe can build towards getting some form and fitness back and become a major player again.

He will have to do something dramatic to warrant selection. GB can't afford to pick anything other than their best side in the 3N. Remember Sydney '02? That scoreline was largely due to Waite picking a crap side. Of the 17 that played that night about 12 or 13 should hav been there and the rest were bad choices. GB will/should have a better side this time around but the selections have to be near to spot on to maximise their chances, which TBH at the moment are not that good when you look at what they're up against.

ledzep

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
He will have to do something dramatic to warrant selection. GB can't afford to pick anything other than their best side in the 3N. Remember Sydney '02? That scoreline was largely due to Waite picking a crap side. Of the 17 that played that night about 12 or 13 should hav been there and the rest were bad choices. GB will/should have a better side this time around but the selections have to be near to spot on to maximise their chances, which TBH at the moment are not that good when you look at what they're up against.
was going to say something similar myself
for GB to challenge, they have to pick the best 13 on form, not past reputations

roosterbooster1 said:
was going to say something similar myself
for GB to challenge, they have to pick the best 13 on form, not past reputations

It's not just about form. They have to go with blokes they think will do the job. Stuart Fielden probably hasn't been at his best this year but he'd be first picked. Why? Because he has been outstanding in recent years, is fit and his form is good even if it's not brilliant. It's a mix of form and "reputation" if reputation means past performances.
In the 64-10 game Waite picked Ryan Sheridan at halfback because he had been one of Leeds' best in a winning run of five or six games prior to the Test, but he was sh!t and he was sh!t the previous time he'd played for GB. That was a case against picking on recent form alone. The selector/s (in this case Noble) has to pick the side he thinks will do the job best. That means looking at past performances and form. On that basis Scully will be considered because of past efforts but shouldn't be in the 13 on form.
For me I think Cooke should be in the side. While he's never played for GB he's been very good in big games over the past couple of years and has all the attributes to make a good Test lock (loose forward). Of course it also depends on the standoff selection.

terracesider

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
It's not just about form. They have to go with blokes they think will do the job.

But on past form Noble will go with his favourites so Scully will be in there despite being a shadow of the player he was a few years ago.

D

Deleted member 10972

Fairleigh Good! said:
I don't think Noble will drop him.

Sculthorpe has been one of the top 5 players in the world consistently over the past 8 or so years. Last season and this though the injuries have taken their toll and he is no longer capable of playing at that level. His strength and his speed have gone.

He is only getting into the St Helens side on reputation and stature at the moment, he didn't deserve a place in the final and didn't justify his inclusion.

This isn't a cheapshot at Scully, but what sort of feats has he achieved to give him this accolade? High workrate? Hitup machine? What type of player is he?

JasonE

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
Remember Sydney '02? That scoreline was largely due to Waite picking a crap side.

Crap side yes but that scoreline was more down to the worst preparation any team has had in test history, playing a sl round on a friday night flying out next morning to arrive in Sydney on sunday, test match friday night.
No side should ever be subjected to that rubbish.

JasonE said:
Crap side yes but that scoreline was more down to the worst preparation any team has had in test history, playing a sl round on a friday night flying out next morning to arrive in Sydney on sunday, test match friday night.
True. A crap side and terrible preparation. With the side arriving here much earlier and playing a warm-up game the preparation problem should be pretty much solved so now they just have to try and get their best side on the field.

deluded pom?

Coach
Scully simply is not the same player he was 2 or 3 years ago . As stated above he's getting into the Saints' lineup on reputation alone . I don't see why you have to name the captain four months before you name the final squad to go down under .

JasonE said:

true just like the esl kiwis for the anzac test.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
This isn't a cheapshot at Scully, but what sort of feats has he achieved to give him this accolade? High workrate? Hitup machine? What type of player is he?

He was one of the more complete players in the game. Great ball player, good kicking game, good defence and carted the ball up strong.

Sad to say but there are so many players who GB would be better off with in the team. Cooke and Ellis in particular are way ahead of Scully these days.

Noble will pick him though, he doesn't like changing things too much. Scully won't let GB down but they need their best 17 playing if they're any hope of winning, especially with Cunningham retired.

The Wood

Juniors
I just want to know, if you add up the total amount of minutes Sculthorpe has been on the pitch, does it add up to eighty?

Brian Noble won't have the nerve to drop him.

Latest posts