What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2025

Tiger05

First Grade
It’s been said, that Gal could end as the 13?
He needs to put on a bit of beef, but he doesn’t shirk the defensive stuff, so who knows.
But I think if he doesn’t and stays in the halves (not a problem) then either he or Latu will leave when there contracts expire.
I still think we are a big bopper short, it’s so noticeable when the other sides big bopper is giving it to us.

It'll be interesting what happens to Latu and Galvin. I agree on needing a big bopper but I think we need a couple. I really think we need an edge forward as well.

Who knows maybe the guy who is doing well in reserve can get a spot.

Tigerm

Coach

No shortage of halves but Sezer part of Tigers' plans​

Benji Marshall insists there is room for Aidan Sezer at Wests Tigers next season despite Jarome Luai's impending arrival adding to selection pressure in the halves at the struggling NRL club.

Sezer, 33, has a mutual contract option to remain at the Tigers for a second year after a comeback season interrupted by suspensions for two hip-drop tackles.

A 2019 grand finalist with Canberra, Sezer has been first-choice halfback on his return from a four-year stint in England, but that will change with Penrith star Luai arriving and likely to partner young gun Lachie Galvin from 2025.

Fellow teenager Latu Fainu is also a highly touted half, while Jayden Sullivan remains on the books despite being granted permission to negotiate with rivals only months into a four-year deal.

But the glut of playmakers won't prompt Marshall to jettison Sezer as the 17th-placed Tigers continue to rebuild their roster, with the pair meeting to discuss the halfback's future this week.

"He's definitely someone we want to keep around," Marshall said.

Marshall finished his career as a bench utility and mentor to South Sydney's inexperienced players and felt Sezer could fill a similar role at a young Tigers team.

"You want as many leaders as you can around, particularly when you've got a young squad and you've got guys who need to teach these young guys how to prepare and how to play," he said.

"They become really important whether they play on the field or not."

Sezer himself is yet to make a call as to whether he will play on into a 14th professional season.

"I feel good, a decision will be made over the next few weeks and see what happens," he told AAP.

"I've been very fortunate to get in 13, 14 years in the game. I'm still enjoying it, I'm still enjoying being around the boys so hopefully I can prolong that. But if not, I've been blessed."

Marshall's Tigers would have held their breath when Parramatta threatened to upset Penrith on Friday night and open up a six-point gap at the bottom of the ladder.

The Panthers eventually staged a miraculous 36-34 comeback to keep the 16th-placed Eels within the Tigers' reach.

Given their inferior for-and-against, Wests likely need to win two of their last four games to leapfrog the Eels and avoid a third-consecutive wooden spoon, with a meeting against Parramatta scheduled for round 27.

Marshall said his players were aware of the stakes.

"They put that pressure on themselves so I don't need to add to that," he said ahead of Sunday's clash with Newcastle.

"We've got to find moments to take pressure off ourselves and not beat ourselves, that's the hard part that we're finding at the moment but they are getting better."
----------------------
Obviously handy if Luia gets picked in SOO.
But I think he would be invaluable for the NSW cup guys.

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
It looks to me like we have dug a hole so deep over the previous years that there is no escape being stuck at the bottom.

We are losing 2 probably 3 of our "big signing" forwards so in order to improve we have to replace them with better performing players.
Without them leaving it was obvious we had to sign a couple of decent forwards to build on that pack.
We also need say 2 more quality backs as well as Luai and Turuva.

All of that with a "War chest" of a bit over $2m. Good luck with that.

Add to that yet another coach who is unable to make any improvement of significance .

I can understand players wanting to leave and find it hard to believe we can sign anyone without playing them overs unless they have been around a while and are no longer wanted by other clubs or they are young and see the Tigers as a stepping stone to a better team.

Tigerm

Coach
It looks to me like we have dug a hole so deep over the previous years that there is no escape being stuck at the bottom.

We are losing 2 probably 3 of our "big signing" forwards so in order to improve we have to replace them with better performing players.
Without them leaving it was obvious we had to sign a couple of decent forwards to build on that pack.

Add to that yet another coach who is unable to make any improvement of significance .

I can understand players wanting to leave and find it hard to believe we can sign anyone without playing them overs unless they have been around a while and are no longer wanted by other clubs or they are young and see the Tigers as a stepping stone to a better team.
IMO, we are losing (big money) players that haven’t contributed like they were expected to.
I do believe one player can turn it around, because they expect standards, that makes the others lift in their abilities and confidence.

Tom T from Manly is an example.

Whether Luai will do it for us, we will have to wait and see.

But, the young blokes this year do show promise and they play like they give a f**k.

Next year.

simmo1

First Grade
Whether Luai will do it for us, we will have to wait and see.

Luai really is our only sliver of hope of avoiding another spoon. He is a class player and I think this is the first time this club has signed a player of his calibre in a key position. It will take a monumental effort for him to turn this team around though.

Tiger05

First Grade

I sort of agree but I don't think it's that big an issue. Stef could well become a top tier prop but I think overall he has been puss for us. He makes a great run or two a game but that is about it.

Papalli has been good in the middle and he puts in but how much better has he been than Seyfarth ? In my opinion Seyfarth has been just as good apart from the dumb plays. Papalli has made a fair few dumb plays as well.

Bateman hopefully goes and he again hasn't done much.

I think we need better players than these guys but I also think a lot comes down to the coach.

I'm not worried about out outside backs. We do lack a dominant outside back who can create something themselves but I reckon we can get a decent set of outside backs on the park.

I think the issue will be getting Luai, Galvin and Latu Fainu into the team.

I reckon the $2m war chest is a load of horse shit. We need to get value out of our cap and we are the worst in the comp at that. If anything this concerns me.

I also think way too many people are overrating Benji and Richo and the new team. They've proven nothing at all.

This to me is the issue. We need to somehow get the team playing good footy and winning games. The 3 guys leaving us (assuming we piss Bateman off) along with Klemmer and the young guys give us a good pack on paper but our pack hasn't dominated a single game.

Cleary was a turd to this club but he got the team playing decent footy at times.

I think we can improve significantly next year and build from that point but we need a coach who can bring something special to our team. He has to come up with game plans to get wins and the club needs to make smart recruitment and retention decisions.

Nutz

Bench
I sort of agree but I don't think it's that big an issue. Stef could well become a top tier prop but I think overall he has been puss for us. He makes a great run or two a game but that is about it.

Papalli has been good in the middle and he puts in but how much better has he been than Seyfarth ? In my opinion Seyfarth has been just as good apart from the dumb plays. Papalli has made a fair few dumb plays as well.

Bateman hopefully goes and he again hasn't done much.

I think we need better players than these guys but I also think a lot comes down to the coach.

I'm not worried about out outside backs. We do lack a dominant outside back who can create something themselves but I reckon we can get a decent set of outside backs on the park.

I think the issue will be getting Luai, Galvin and Latu Fainu into the team.

I reckon the $2m war chest is a load of horse shit. We need to get value out of our cap and we are the worst in the comp at that. If anything this concerns me.

I also think way too many people are overrating Benji and Richo and the new team. They've proven nothing at all.

This to me is the issue. We need to somehow get the team playing good footy and winning games. The 3 guys leaving us (assuming we piss Bateman off) along with Klemmer and the young guys give us a good pack on paper but our pack hasn't dominated a single game.

Cleary was a turd to this club but he got the team playing decent footy at times.

I think we can improve significantly next year and build from that point but we need a coach who can bring something special to our team. He has to come up with game plans to get wins and the club needs to make smart recruitment and retention decisions.
With the roster Benji has atm he's going alright. We've looked alright at times but our senior players haven't iced games. Their discipline and leadership is/was poor and I commend Benji for putting a rocket up them.... Bennett or Bellyache would have done the same.
Benji's is trying every combo/resource at his disposal to prepare for next season. Did we expect anything less this year. Some of us were predicting this at the start of the season so no surprises here.
We still need 2 marquee fwds.
I. A big bopper to get post contact metres and attract defenders, a Payne Haas and
2. we need an edge fwd with game time experience who is capable of playing big minutes, eg. Nikora.
Benji firing as coach next year will not get this roster into the finals I'm sorry. He needs ammo and he needs them at this season's end.
Unfortunately I think the armoury is empty so he will have his work cut out for him trying to improve what he's got.

Nutz

Bench
Lets just than f**k that we missed out on Latrell.
It will be interesting to see how that unfolds. It goes to show that regardless of what that photo is implying there's no friends in that environment. He should know better the goose
He's lazy, too hot and cold and depends if he knows if the camera is on him. The same goes for Fafita and AFB.

Wizardman

First Grade
It will be interesting to see how that unfolds. It goes to show that regardless of what that photo is implying there's no friends in that environment. He should know better the goose
He's lazy, too hot and cold and depends if he knows if the camera is on him. The same goes for Fafita and AFB.
Yep! There is no way Latrell would have been a good signing for the position our club was in and continues to be in.

Latest posts