What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season in review

Finished higher than I thought we would.

Competed in matches I never thought we'd be a chance in.

Still sh*thouse though.

The club has had some pretty bad chokes in it's time, but I doubt there would have been so many in one season as there was this year.

strider

Post Whore
i think the lads did well and we probably aren't too far from where we want to be

Tooooks

Bench
Beginning of the season, I tipped us to finish bottom 2 (I'm a realist, not a pessimist), based on the fact we finished 12th the previous season and we had a worse squad this year.

I was impressed with our first round win against the Warriors and dared to dream we might do better than I thought, but that was quickly dashed.

Most frustrating season I've seen as an Eels fan. Like I said in another thread, not the worst season ever, but when you're in a position to win so many games, but fail every time...it's tough.

If the game went for 65 minutes we would have been top 4. If it went for 75 minutes we would be top 8. It goes for 80 minutes and we are bottom 3, and would be relegated in other comps.

During the trial at Campbelltown, I saw a side white hot against the Tigers for 20 minutes, then we started making changes and I could see we only had a top 13 or 14 that were up to the task week in week out.

Next year might be better, but then again it might get worse, depends on how the team gels together.

18 months for this coach is May 2012, I will reserve judgement until then and we see what is happening with the side and possible recruits, but at the moment, just based on the stats. This was Parramatta's worse season since 1995, but it could have been situatuion normal (Parramatta are a top 8 side normally making the top 4), if the playing staff had the mentality to shut out a game.

In a phrase, very disappointing.

bartman

Immortal
We finished a little lower than I thought we would, even though I wasn't expecting us to make the 8 this year.

We competed well in some games against strong opposition, but failed to compete in other games we should have competed in and chalked up some wins. That to me says it's not only down to squad talent and depth, but also our mental game that needs some improvement for next year.

But when you look at the competition table and the points fro/against differential, we finished exactly where we deserved to... the bottom 8 are in neat descending order of negative points differential (except for Souths). It would have been rough if we'd got the spoon over Canberra or Titans, but we probably didn't perform as well as the Sharks (which is embarrassing!).

2012 is shaping up well - after the disappointment of a "rebuilding" year, finishing outside of the 8 shouldn't be an option!

Parra Guru

Coach
In about round 2 I said the Titans will get the spoon. Thankfully I was right. I didn't know then that Parra would be in contention too.

It was a sh*t year with only a handful of players that can be proud of their efforts.

Delboy

First Grade
We played the whole season without halves and the worst 3/4 line in the competition.

Pass mark for effort, reasonable pass mark for coaching given the roster, pass mark for bringing in unproven players

Overall, disappointing but unfortunately understandable given the playing staff

failed to play 80mins in most matches, showed plenty of heart but lacked direction in the halves. Plenty of youth in the squad shows thing will get better in the future and the structure laid down by the new coaching staff will pay dividends in the coming years.

Eels Dude

Coach
disappointing for me. I didn't expect a great season but didn't expect us to be this bad either. It'll be interesting next year. We keep hearing 'structure structure' but there is a short turnaround for success and a 3 year building plan just isn't good enough in the salary cap era because fans of all clubs expect more than that and the game doesnt allow it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We played the whole season without halves and the worst 3/4 line in the competition.

Pass mark for effort, reasonable pass mark for coaching given the roster, pass mark for bringing in unproven players

Overall, disappointing but unfortunately understandable given the playing staff
Well said.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
We went into games with a gameplan in attack that was virtually non existant. There were times we hit the ball up every tackle. Always seemed to be setting up for a big play that never came.

Latest posts