What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season officially over time to start playing the youngsters!

Now that the season is done time to tap a few shoulders and start playing some younger talent for crying out loud how embarrassing was the game against the tigers and I bet its the same old lines" I was proud of the way we fought it out"" the boys had a dig""skill errors hurt us"blah blah blah who's pants are pulled down now Steve?

Minh

First Grade
Steve Price was weak didnt make the necessary changes early in the season and made the most crap change last week leaving out soward, he is hopeless and I dont say that lightly I dont like bagging the coaches.

TheRev

Coach
definitely, lets start working with the 2013 roster (well beale aside), just irritating watching this team as it is.

nrlnrl

First Grade
The 2nd half defensive effort avoided a thrashing, but the game was lost in the first half with clueless attack & pathetic kicking. The Tigers showed them how to kick in the wet when you have the wind behind you.

I don't know how many people saw the Brett Morris post-game interview "We're missing that ball playing fullback & that's probably all I can say".

Sadly, next year will be another frustrating year as Hornby, Cooper & Fien will be given priority. It's been blasted on this forum, but the purchases of bargain price players like Josh Miller & Denan Kemp typifies the thinking. It needs to be quality, not quantity. Also, the coach is looking like someone who won't be able to attract the type of players the club needs. The handling of Jamie Soward lately would have potential purchases looking elsewhere.

The Broncos have dealt with older players & introducing younger players as a group to make the process much smoother. I don't want to seem to be kicking older players when the team is struggling, but the club has dug itself a hole & needs to make tough decisions. If not, 2013 will be a wasted season.

Have a look at what the Bulldogs did with Ben Barba. Sure, he had some tough times, but he worked on his faults & now his ability to prevent tries is among the best of NRL fullbacks. Evander Cummins must be given an opportunity straight away in 2013 & be told that the club will pick him as a long term prospect & help him overcome his weaknesses. I believe Gerard Beale is a centre, who can give the team some penetration in attack. If he stays, Jamie Soward should be in the halves with Kyle Stanley ( when he's available ) & they should be told that they are the long term plan. Remember how well Soward played when he had confidence because Wayne Bennett believed in him ? At the moment, there are only glimpses of that in attack - it's missing from the entire team, not just Soward.

nontime111

Juniors
FANTASTIC!
Boy have we got some huge talent just bursting for a go.....Cummins is THE next Barba/ nrl total superstar....along with Runciman....get em in there you hopeless boring oversafe utter failures running this once great and innovative club!
FOLKSEY???? GET IN THERE BROTHER!!!!!!
AND GIVE THE YOUNG PLAYERS A GO BEFORE THEY LEAVE IN DISGUST ALSO....Dragons right now remind me of the English cricket team of the 1970s.....where they played the boring game led by Boycott and where a player would have to die before a ny younger kids had the chance to get in the team... WE CAN DO IT.....BUT NEED THE CHANGES RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

Not starting the game with Soward, once we knew we were running with a gale force wind behind us in the first half? Pricey what were you thinking?

smi962

First Grade
I agree, blood some youngsters at least we will be doing something positive for the future. Thats what will be frustrating next year with Fein and Hornby, they are past it. Youngsters might initially struggle, but at least there is the chance we will be building for the future. I don't mind getting beaten if I feel its going to contribute to the future.

Red V Ultras

Juniors
Steve Price was weak didnt make the necessary changes early in the season and made the most crap change last week leaving out soward, he is hopeless and I dont say that lightly I dont like bagging the coaches.

Price mistake was bringing the Rock star in late in the first half, we were going fine without him and Rein has to cop sitting on the bench for him. His job is to spark something from attack, he could even throw good passes, Rein leaves him for dead on all fronts. Time for Soward to look elsewhere thanks for the memories Jamie. As long as Price is in charge for next year he won't be resigning Soward, hopefully Wigan or somewhere in Japan.

Efresh

Coach
Now that the season is done time to tap a few shoulders and start playing some younger talent for crying out loud how embarrassing was the game against the tigers and I bet its the same old lines" I was proud of the way we fought it out"" the boys had a dig""skill errors hurt us"blah blah blah who's pants are pulled down now Steve?

Lol...close. From the match review on the club website,

?We played some reasonable football during that first half and came out after half time,? said Price.
?The game changed though during the second-half and it was hard to get momentum with all those repeat sets we faced.
?We have put ourselves in that situation concerning a finals spot so we have ourselves to blame there and no one else.
?Our focus now is on next week and playing the football that we know we?re capable of doing against the North Queensland Cowboys.?

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Price-We-Put-Ourselves-In-This-Situation/61479

counterpuncher

Juniors
Love it when the coach is pleased the team played "reasonable" football.

Why not go all out and call it "acceptable" or "tolerable"?

Not too proud to say I lobbed some coin on the Tigers just before 1/2 time. The longer we tried to hold on to that 8-0 lead, the more our price began to drift, tigers were specials.

hewi

Bench
How awfull this season has been. We persevered with Brown for 6 years lets not repeat the same mistake by leaving Price there for 2 years. He has done a terrible job and next year we will be wooden spoon contenders if he is left in charge for the whole season next year. Its time for a cleanout of old players, lets start next week as this thread says with new blood.

Joey_dragons

Juniors
We need a major clean out starting with doust,young and price.
Players like Hornby,cooper and fein need to retire. There good days are over.
Other players like prior,miller,ah mau,vea should find new clubs.
Creagh,Soward should get there act together and start playing the footy we know.
We need to give players like king,kemp,goodwin,cummins,stockwell and marketo more game time
Players need to play in there positions. (I feel sorry for nightingale he's not a fullback,he tries so hard and it's wrecking and putting his confidence down)
Mitch rein is an 80 minute player.
We def Need a fullback,halfback and a few more big forwards.

Ah Mau and Vea haven't been given any time to adjust to playing first grade with the Dragons so casting them off is a bit rash.

Same can be said for Marketo, Gower, Goodwin and Mathews Price isn't willing or he's been told not to pick certain players thats what happened to Latimore so he signed elsewhere.

Hornby, Fien and Cooper should retire for the good of the club and for the sake of their own reputations if not they should be sent to play for the cutters but that won't happen either they hold all the cards due to their contracts.

Cummins, Stockwell and King will get their chance but if it comes at the exspense of senior players then so be it becuase guys like Creagh, Prior and Soward have let the team down this year.

possm

Coach
How awfull this season has been. We persevered with Brown for 6 years lets not repeat the same mistake by leaving Price there for 2 years. He has done a terrible job and next year we will be wooden spoon contenders if he is left in charge for the whole season next year. Its time for a cleanout of old players, lets start next week as this thread says with new blood.

I think looking back on things, it would have been a better move to have Browny as assistant coach to Bennett. If it was explained that Bennett was only being hired for 3 years and that Browny could learn an awful lot by being his assistant, it may have worked.

Last edited: