What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season officially over time to start playing the youngsters!

64 Dragon

Coach
Refuse to criticise Coops. He has been injured or playing injured all year. The guy is a legend. Give him one more year. As for Hornby and Fien? Meh!

Saint Angelo

Juniors
Refuse to criticise Coops. He has been injured or playing injured all year. The guy is a legend. Give him one more year. As for Hornby and Fien? Meh!

That is exactly the issue. Cooper always gets injured and spends more time on the sidelines than a touchy.

Stdavid

Juniors
The 2nd half defensive effort avoided a thrashing, but the game was lost in the first half with clueless attack & pathetic kicking. The Tigers showed them how to kick in the wet when you have the wind behind you.

I don't know how many people saw the Brett Morris post-game interview "We're missing that ball playing fullback & that's probably all I can say".

Sadly, next year will be another frustrating year as Hornby, Cooper & Fien will be given priority. It's been blasted on this forum, but the purchases of bargain price players like Josh Miller & Denan Kemp typifies the thinking. It needs to be quality, not quantity. Also, the coach is looking like someone who won't be able to attract the type of players the club needs. The handling of Jamie Soward lately would have potential purchases looking elsewhere.

The Broncos have dealt with older players & introducing younger players as a group to make the process much smoother. I don't want to seem to be kicking older players when the team is struggling, but the club has dug itself a hole & needs to make tough decisions. If not, 2013 will be a wasted season.

Have a look at what the Bulldogs did with Ben Barba. Sure, he had some tough times, but he worked on his faults & now his ability to prevent tries is among the best of NRL fullbacks. Evander Cummins must be given an opportunity straight away in 2013 & be told that the club will pick him as a long term prospect & help him overcome his weaknesses. I believe Gerard Beale is a centre, who can give the team some penetration in attack. If he stays, Jamie Soward should be in the halves with Kyle Stanley ( when he's available ) & they should be told that they are the long term plan. Remember how well Soward played when he had confidence because Wayne Bennett believed in him ? At the moment, there are only glimpses of that in attack - it's missing from the entire team, not just Soward.

Great post - on the money.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Definitely about the team, not the individuals West coast dragon.

Never a truer word said than a champion team will always beat a team of champions. In 1996 we made the grand final, but not one of our players were selected for the Kangaroo tour that year. That says a lot about the team and players playing for each other.

As for the 'clean out', don't forget that it is the board that selects the CEO and coach. And with the JV it is more complex nowadays than previously.

giboz71

First Grade
The 2nd half defensive effort avoided a thrashing, but the game was lost in the first half with clueless attack & pathetic kicking. The Tigers showed them how to kick in the wet when you have the wind behind you.

I don't know how many people saw the Brett Morris post-game interview "We're missing that ball playing fullback & that's probably all I can say".

Sadly, next year will be another frustrating year as Hornby, Cooper & Fien will be given priority. It's been blasted on this forum, but the purchases of bargain price players like Josh Miller & Denan Kemp typifies the thinking. It needs to be quality, not quantity. Also, the coach is looking like someone who won't be able to attract the type of players the club needs. The handling of Jamie Soward lately would have potential purchases looking elsewhere.

The Broncos have dealt with older players & introducing younger players as a group to make the process much smoother. I don't want to seem to be kicking older players when the team is struggling, but the club has dug itself a hole & needs to make tough decisions. If not, 2013 will be a wasted season.

Have a look at what the Bulldogs did with Ben Barba. Sure, he had some tough times, but he worked on his faults & now his ability to prevent tries is among the best of NRL fullbacks. Evander Cummins must be given an opportunity straight away in 2013 & be told that the club will pick him as a long term prospect & help him overcome his weaknesses. I believe Gerard Beale is a centre, who can give the team some penetration in attack. If he stays, Jamie Soward should be in the halves with Kyle Stanley ( when he's available ) & they should be told that they are the long term plan. Remember how well Soward played when he had confidence because Wayne Bennett believed in him ? At the moment, there are only glimpses of that in attack - it's missing from the entire team, not just Soward.

Yep, totally agree. Our roster management this year is what has frustrated me the most. If we weren't going to make any significant purchases via the player market, then it would stand to reason to turn to youth. But instead, Price persists with an ageing and very average roster which blind freddy could tell you would not cut it this year.

You mention the Broncos and they are a great example how juniors should be managed. How do players like Hoffman, Beale, Glenn and Te'o get to the be the players they are today? You give them game time and you don't let players of the calibre of Hornby, Young, Prior and Fien keep them out of first grade.

This year has been a waste of time for guys like De Belin, King, Stockwell, Cummins and Style, because they have not been given sufficient opportunities to produce their best. Even if it wasn't for this year, at least for next. None of these guys have developed significantly where they have confidence for next year. Yet, Hornby, Young, Prior and Fien get s start every week. Makes no sense.

And you look at a guy like Adam Reynolds who has the confidence of the coach to produce week in and week out and what do you get? A rookie of the year that's what. Young players want to play and if they are good enough, they will produce. Sadly, none of us have any idea what our juniors can produce coz they spend most of their time warming the bench.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not starting the game with Soward, once we knew we were running with a gale force wind behind us in the first half? Pricey what were you thinking?

You have to have something between the ears to think....irrespective of how many players we lost, with the players that were left we still should have performed much better than we did....its obvious by now that the apprentice has learned very little from the master tradesman and like others on here if its allowed to continue then we are in for many repeat performances over the coming season.....I dont like it when we have a season like this one....but I simply hate it when I see our prospects of the next.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
Cooper has been carrying our attack for years, he definitely deserves another season if hes keen (he has to want it), its been a tough year with injury, but even at his worst he is as good as any other centre we have, and his defence is good, plus he has a tonne of experience and a veteran salary cap discount, hes the 1 guy I would keep.

Young is retiring anyway & Hornby should follow, but right now I dont see where his replacement is coming from.. it kind of depends whats going on with Sowie too.. cause were not being told, but something is up.

The individuals make up the team actually. I am not really crticising those teams. They have really gone well, just saying that not everything goes to plan.

Yeah but those individuals that have starred for those teams have missed opportunities due to prices refusal to try them out when other players (no need to mention names we all know who they are)have not performed over the course of the season or been injured and he would play people out of position rather than blood youth to take us forward.

saint06

Juniors
Isnt Cummins injured, out for the season?? I dont think we'll see him this year.

I dont think Coops should go. Think thats being a bit harsh.

Hornby should be tapped on the shoulder, Fien im unsure of. But then we run the risk of losing all our experienced players at once - Scott, Hornby, Fien, Young. Its a tough decision. A season full of young players wont see success sytraight away, then some in here will yell and scream again.

Beale will be good for us, Frizzell looks like he will be ok. Given JDB and Stockwell will be a year older, as will Rein (but i wish he would learn something else than the dummy - turning into a one trick pony), give Chase a full off season and perhaps moving on some of the stale players, we'll see what next year brings.

Fingerbang

Bench
Too many chefs, and not enough cooks.....give Damien Cook a run in the 7 jumper for the last 3 weeks. Then we will see some spark in the halves.

Go the cookie cutter!!

DragonBuck

Juniors
Lol...close. From the match review on the club website,

?We played some reasonable football during that first half and came out after half time,? said Price.
?The game changed though during the second-half and it was hard to get momentum with all those repeat sets we faced.
?We have put ourselves in that situation concerning a finals spot so we have ourselves to blame there and no one else.
?Our focus now is on next week and playing the football that we know we?re capable of doing against the North Queensland Cowboys.?

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Price-We-Put-Ourselves-In-This-Situation/61479

This is BS!! It was so bloody obvious that the game changed when he took Rein off in the first half. Why doesn't he man up and admit that he f**ked up???

DragonBuck

Juniors
Yep, totally agree. Our roster management this year is what has frustrated me the most. If we weren't going to make any significant purchases via the player market, then it would stand to reason to turn to youth. But instead, Price persists with an ageing and very average roster which blind freddy could tell you would not cut it this year.

You mention the Broncos and they are a great example how juniors should be managed. How do players like Hoffman, Beale, Glenn and Te'o get to the be the players they are today? You give them game time and you don't let players of the calibre of Hornby, Young, Prior and Fien keep them out of first grade.

This year has been a waste of time for guys like De Belin, King, Stockwell, Cummins and Style, because they have not been given sufficient opportunities to produce their best. Even if it wasn't for this year, at least for next. None of these guys have developed significantly where they have confidence for next year. Yet, Hornby, Young, Prior and Fien get s start every week. Makes no sense.

And you look at a guy like Adam Reynolds who has the confidence of the coach to produce week in and week out and what do you get? A rookie of the year that's what. Young players want to play and if they are good enough, they will produce. Sadly, none of us have any idea what our juniors can produce coz they spend most of their time warming the bench.

I was talking yesterday to the father of a player in our junior system. He has been offered a contract for the 20's next season but they are waiting to see what else comes up because they have concerns about the amount of oppurtunity given to the younger players by the current coach. This guy trialled for NSW U/18's and was voted best at trial. How many other emerging talents would think the same and be reluctant to come to the Dragons with Price as the coach........

TheRev

Coach
I dont blame them, its been 5 months since the cracks became apparent in our 1st grade squad, and were still bashing our head against the same wall.

Youngsters are a risk, half this forum turned on Green hard after 1 bad weekend, and most will turn on any youngster when they inevitably make numerous errors, but its part of their development. The true skill is having the vision to identify the right youngsters to persist with... thats how you make superstar football teams.

saint06

Juniors
I apologise DB (and im not saying that what you are saying is BS) but i'd be reluctant to believe what your friend said. Our club has always promoted juniors well. With the lack of signing activity, you'd think that juniors would be looked at and given a go.

We usually promote from within.

possm

Coach
I dont blame them, its been 5 months since the cracks became apparent in our 1st grade squad, and were still bashing our head against the same wall.

Youngsters are a risk, half this forum turned on Green hard after 1 bad weekend, and most will turn on any youngster when they inevitably make numerous errors, but its part of their development. The true skill is having the vision to identify the right youngsters to persist with... thats how you make superstar football teams.

I agree with you TheRev. It is hard to fatham what is going through Price's head regarding playing the youngsters and reserve graders.

I would have thought King, Stockwell, Green, Markito should have had more bench time this year. I also believe Hornby should have share time with Kyle, Clune, King in order to have a good look at the talant availble. Now that we are out of the final series, it would be great if we finished off the year - last three games - by giving these guys a go and resting Hornby. Soward/Clune, King/Soward etc.

DragonBuck

Juniors
I apologise DB (and im not saying that what you are saying is BS) but i'd be reluctant to believe what your friend said. Our club has always promoted juniors well. With the lack of signing activity, you'd think that juniors would be looked at and given a go.

We usually promote from within.

Ok, well let me ask you this.... What would the father of the player hope to gain in telling me that if it wasn't true? He readily admitted that money wasn't an issue as the money offered to Toyota Cup players isn't much anyway. They are genuinely concerned about the chances he would get at the club with Price coaching the NRL side.

We have indeed had a history of promoting from within, but how much of that has happened this year under this coach?

saint06

Juniors
I suppose not much.....But you look at the young players that this coach has given a go to this season:

De Belin
Stockwell (should be playing Toyota Cup, moved to the Cutters to play against older, more developed players)
Rein (last year we all would have laughed if someone told us he would be our starting/best option at hooker)
Kyle (granted, he was moved after round 3, but was still given a decent oppportunity)
Marketo (never seen under Bennett)
Green
King (granted injuries havent helped, but he has still been given opportunities to stake a place in the team)

Thats 7 players. Sorry i missed the memo where we are meant to promote a whole new team. You telling me these guys wont be better for this year, next year? We dont see the best of young players until they have played 20 - 30 games (unless your name is Inglis/Folau and you are a complete freak).

If i was your friend, i'd take the offer. If he is that good, the offers would have already come in.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Youngsters are a risk, half this forum turned on Green hard after 1 bad weekend, and most will turn on any youngster when they inevitably make numerous errors, but its part of their development. The true skill is having the vision to identify the right youngsters to persist with... thats how you make superstar football teams.[/QUOTE]

Price does not have the vision...