What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Johnsy - Off to the UK

Leagueguy

Juniors
It's called personal oppinion moron! He's entitled to his, just as you are to yours!

I think there might be some NSW bias in there. Especially from Fitler, even if he included Inglis.

salivor

First Grade
Leagueguy said:
I think there might be some NSW bias in there. Especially from Fitler, even if he included Inglis.

Maybe because Andrew Johns is a New South Welshman. As Gene said, it's just his opinion.

Serc

First Grade
Just a comment here with some Mid North Coast of NSW bias...regardless of where Inglis first played senior football (for Norths Devils here in Brisbane I hear), until he was 15 he lived in the Macksville area on the Mid North Coast and played footy for Bowraville. He also went to primary school with a mate of mine from high school!

So I know which state he really is from ;-) Must be wierd for him to play against the team he supported in SOO for many years!

GO NSW!

And good to see Johns doesn't have Lockyer in his Top 5 - the "Locky is god" propaganda up here is worse than the "Johns is god" propaganda in Newcastle (lived there for the last 3 years)

t-ba

Post Whore
Inglis is apparently one of those treachorous NSW types who went for the moroons from a young age.

nqboy

First Grade
There were compelling arguments against it but Bucket was hard to get a quote from when Smith's signing was announced. I don't believe for a moment he's thrilled about their prospects next season.

Leagueguy

Juniors
This is a ridiculous rumour considering a number of factors

1. Johns is contracted till 2008. Usually a contract is a reasonable indication that a player will stay at a club.
2. Leaving the Knights to go to England next season would leave them with an enormous hole that couldn't be filled. By doing this he'd have left them no time to recruit someone new. Effectively stabbing the club in the back and leaving the town he basically owns as a total villian.
3. Wouldn't the Knights have consulted with Johns before Smith was hired? Perhaps having the worlds best player say, "I'll leave if you sign him", or even " I really don't like him" would carry some weight.
4. In a power struggle between Brian Smith and Andrew Johns who do you think would win?

At what point do rumours just become factually inaccurate statements? If someone says theres a rumour Johns will contest the hundred metres at the next Olympic games, or Johns will buy channel 9 next year, is that a rumour or just a wrong statement.

Nikki

Coach
Leagueguy said:
This is a ridiculous rumour considering a number of factors

1. Johns is contracted till 2008. Usually a contract is a reasonable indication that a player will stay at a club.

Mate, remind me to introduce to to Jamie Lyon!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leagueguy

Juniors
I said usually and I stand by that. Its like the saying "if it sounds like dogs barking, its probably dogs barking". I think when people start buying into these rumours they put more stock in conspiracies and coverups more than common sense.

greenhat

Juniors
Anyone remember what he gave up when he turned down union?
Ridiculous dollars and probably serious international fame. His main reason for turning it down, if i recall, was 'I couldn't leave newcastle'

There is no way after that, he would stab his team in the back just to go to an english club.

bartman

Immortal
I reckon it's a good bet 2007 will be Joey's last year at Newcastle. Gives Brian Smith time to work out a plan for who to spend all that money on on recruitment across the squad. And if Joey's still up for some footy then he can have a one year swansong with Warrington in 2008.

Anyway, Joey is quoted there as saying he'll let the club know middle of next year, so we just have to wait and see.

Kiwi

First Grade
greenhat said:
Anyone remember what he gave up when he turned down union?
Ridiculous dollars and probably serious international fame. His main reason for turning it down, if i recall, was 'I couldn't leave newcastle'

There is no way after that, he would stab his team in the back just to go to an english club.

Wasn't there very little in it dollar wise once the NRL stepped in and helped out?

Stranger

Coach
At club level there was Kewi, but if he played for AUS, im pretty sure he would have made a motza.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Wasn't staying in League always going to be the most financially smart option for Johns by a thousand miles? Why would he put his continually rising 6 figure, 10 year contract with nine in any jeopardy?