What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection headaches - teams for next week?

bartman

Immortal
Just had a thought - despite the obvious hard choices between in form youngsters and returning from injury experienced players, there may be another thing that influences selections next week? That's the eligibility for semis in lower grades.

I don't know the exact rule, but is there a chance that by selecting guys like Reddy and Delaney again for their third game they lose eligibility for Premier League? And who do we play in Premier League next week anyway (assuming Broncos don't enter a team)?

Anyway, here's a guess at a selected team:

1. McKinnon (needs a run at top level before first final, and give Reddy eligibility for PL?)
2. Burt
3. Smith
4. Tahu (needs a hit-out if available) or Delaney
5. Grothe (was rested this week, needs a hit out next week)
6. Morris
7. Smith
8. Cayless
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Hindmarsh (hope his calf comes up OK, should rest him if there is any risk)
12. Morrison (needs a hit out if available) or Robinson
13. Wags (needs a hit out at top level if available) or O'Dwyer
14. Marsh
15. Widders
16. Moi Moi
17. Vella
18. Robinson (if Morrison, Wags named)
19. O'Dwyer (if Morrison, Wags named)

Shadow players (to play in PL):
Reddy (for Wade)
Delaney (for Tahu)
Williams (for Grothe)
O'Dwyer (if not required in 18)
Peek (for bench forwards)?

And that adds up to 23 (the number of contenders for spots Smith said he expected for first week of semis).

Hurriflatch

Referee
He'll problably get in but defensivly McKinnon was very disapointing during the reggies game I'd be seriosuly tempted to keep Reddy in 1st grade.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think the broncos game and the 1st semi we play in
can and should be used as hitouts. We will have a strong side whoever we put out and good enough to win those games.
Just because next week is the last preliminary round we shouldnt be doing thigns out of the norm..IMO.

I dont think certain players should play against the Broncos just for the sake of it being the last preliminary game

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
He'll problably get in but defensivly McKinnon was very disapointing during the reggies game I'd be seriosuly tempted to keep Reddy in 1st grade.

Agreed, give Reddy another shot for this big one, since the Broncos will be depleted, cause what happens if Mckinnon was to get injured during the finals.

I reckon give leave McKinnon in PL just for another week, then he'll be fresh for the finals.

Reddy is still eligible for PL no matter what, he's played enough games this year.

Also keep Delaney if Tahu isnt fit.

Jodeci

Bench
Hurri I'm with ya
Reddy should be named at fullback against the Broncos
Man of the Match against Dragons as announced today, and look at NRL.com stats.

Joel most hit ups, most line breaks
Cayless beat Joel by 4 metres in metres gained

Leave him there. McKinnon was too busy arguing with the ref and looked out of touch today.

Push Chad back to lock and Morro and Hindy 2nd row.

Tahu back for Delaney

Bench will be hard to fit. Pj, Deano, Vella & Peek

dazeely

First Grade
Whats the go with Wagon's injury? Has dragged on. Wasn't he due back some time ago. Its got to the stage where he probably would be too much of a risk to take into the final series. Match fitness etc.... Very concerning. For him to be seriously considered would need to make an appearance this week or else forget him barring injuries. Sorry Wags but need the team momentum and cohesion.

dazeely

First Grade
Jodeci said:
Hurri I'm with ya
Reddy should be named at fullback against the Broncos
Man of the Match against Dragons as announced today, and look at NRL.com stats.

Joel most hit ups, most line breaks
Cayless beat Joel by 4 metres in metres gained

Leave him there. McKinnon was too busy arguing with the ref and looked out of touch today.

Push Chad back to lock and Morro and Hindy 2nd row.

Tahu back for Delaney

Bench will be hard to fit. Pj, Deano, Vella & Peek

Fui needs to be there for his impact. Really adds some spark, enthusiasm and go forward. Not to mention intimidation factor. The other spot Vella or Peek.

Macca_

Coach
Vella had a good run for first game back. Pleasing to see.

Fui needs to be there. Impact+

Hurriflatch

Referee
Yeha the bench is

14. PJ Marsh - 100% gurenteed
15. Dean Widders - 100% gurenteed
16. Eiether Adam Peek or Michael Vella (at least stage Vella is just ahead)
17. Fuifui Moimoi or Aaron Cannings (at this stage Fui has a healthy advantage)

bartman

Immortal
newmanj said:
What about Aaron Cannings?
Since Cannings was dropped to PL and reportedly had an average game, I'd assume that Peek is ahead of him in the pecking order?

That is the last spot I'm trying to work out in the twenty-three mentioned by Smith in an interview, and that's not including Petersen at the moment either.

Peek I'd imagine would be a shadow for Vella's "workhorse" spot on the bench, and maybe Cannings for Fui's "impact" spot on the bench?

As Macca said - good to be in this situation rather than thinking god who can we call on to fill this spot etc.

bartman

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
Reddy is still eligible for PL no matter what, he's played enough games this year.

Does anyone know the exact rule? Didn't it used to be three out of the last five matches?

dazeely

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
Yeha the bench is

14. PJ Marsh - 100% gurenteed
15. Dean Widders - 100% gurenteed
16. Eiether Adam Peek or Michael Vella (at least stage Vella is just ahead)
17. Fuifui Moimoi or Aaron Cannings (at this stage Fui has a healthy advantage)

I'm with the great Hurri there. Probably would have Peeky slightly ahead of Micky boy. Not much in it though.

dazeely

First Grade
bartman said:
Does anyone know the exact rule? Didn't it used to be three out of the last five matches?

Not sure there. Maybe the Big C or eela could help us out. Lads come out come out wherever you are.

Hurriflatch

Referee
THere are a number of crietria

A. If the higher grade is still in the finals it doesn't matter (ie if 1st grade and Reggies both are playing in theory Hindmarsh could play reggies so applies for players who meet the age requirements when it comes down to reggies and flegg)

B. If the higher grade is not playing then

1. 5 from the final 7 games that grade has played
2. 75% of total game but that player played in the grade or lower
ie Jarryd Hayne has been in reggies for a few weeks recently so will not qualify for Flegg under the 5 from 7 rule however prior to his last 5 games in reggies he played the previous 20 odd in Flegg so he has played 80% of his games in Flegg so he then qualfies