What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Final Predictions

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
The draft system lost after 1991 case by Terry Hill.
Yes, I think he was the test case for the RLPA. The NRL lost the case on the grounds of "restraint of trade " if I remember correctly. I think the draft only survives in other codes because their players accept it, the league players didn't.

Gareth67

First Grade
How did Paps get away with his stiff arm to the head of Garrick?

Good question Dave , then there were the 2 attempted head-highs on Tommy Turbo by Funicane and only minutes later by Smith .

What got me was that both the mugs looked straight at the ref after their tackles basically showing that they knew exactly what they were doing , still for mine they should had been penalized for the attempt .

mickeylane

Bench
Manly were really disappointing- I thought they would give it to Storm..
hopefully south’s beat Penrith.. and I still think Titans could pip Roosters

Red V for life

Juniors
How the contact with the head rule applies really irritates me.

A Roosters player was falling and Proctor hit him in the head no more than 20cms from the ground. Verills just collected Kelly in the head with his shoulder as Kelly got bent over from a forceful low tackle.

Proctor…seriously…he can’t disappear. I’d argue Verills had no time to change his position. Neither tackle was deliberate foul play.

I do appreciate the health aspect behind the rule, but I really struggle with these kind of penalties.

TruSaint

Referee
Yes, I think he was the test case for the RLPA. The NRL lost the case on the grounds of "restraint of trade " if I remember correctly. I think the draft only survives in other codes because their players accept it, the league players didn't.

Correct.

And I am against a draft. I do believe it is a restraint of trade. Why should someone qualified for a job be directed ( without his / her input ), as to where they are employed.

This debate arises every few years when, as fans, we think the whole world is against us. Barring any new revelations, we should accept that some teams manage caps better and we should aim to do so.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Correct.

And I am against a draft. I do believe it is a restraint of trade. Why should someone qualified for a job be directed ( without his / her input ), as to where they are employed.

This debate arises every few years when, as fans, we think the whole world is against us. Barring any new revelations, we should accept that some teams manage caps better and we should aim to do so.
Yes, the bad side of a draft would be a situation where the Dragons develop, say, Sullivan, Amone and Sloan. These players I assume would be highly rated in the draft and would be able to be picked up by (this year) the Dogs, Cowboys or Broncos. Now that would upset me!

TruSaint

Referee
Yes, the bad side of a draft would be a situation where the Dragons develop, say, Sullivan, Amone and Sloan. These players I assume would be highly rated in the draft and would be able to be picked up by (this year) the Dogs, Cowboys or Broncos. Now that would upset me!

And that would be likely mate.

Gareth67

First Grade
How did that idiot ref allow the game to continue on after the halftime siren - and eventually give Penrith a bluudy penalty after the ball had been exchanged between both sides ? ?

That was damn wrong , Penrith got an extra 2 points to even the game up at the break . It seems the ref makes up his own rules and applies them when he feels the need . A- holes !

Dragon David

First Grade
Good question Dave , then there were the 2 attempted head-highs on Tommy Turbo by Funicane and only minutes later by Smith .

What got me was that both the mugs looked straight at the ref after their tackles basically showing that they knew exactly what they were doing , still for mine they should had been penalized for the attempt .
Exactly!

jeffdragon

Bench
Well it csnt be storm panthers.
Luai and clearly were mia.
Cant cheer for souths as I csnt stand gagai walker, arrow and Reynolds.
Storm for me to win it.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well I don’t wish to blow my own trumpet however I did predict their win ! ☺️

Penrith too cocky for their own good , they played a team that was intent on some very close defense and were found wanting .

Penrith if they win their next semi , they will need to play the Storm in the final - very loooong odds to beat them , their season could very well come to a premature end .

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade

Penrith too cocky for their own good , they play a team that was intent on some very close defense and were found wanting .

If they win their next semi they will need to play the Storm in the final - very loooong odds to beat them , their season could very well come to a premature end .

Credit to you. I honestly thought souths were no chance.

Thy egg runneth cold down my face!

blacksafake

First Grade

Penrith too cocky for their own good , they played a team that was intent on some very close defense and were found wanting .

If they win their next semi they will need to play the Storm in the final - very loooong odds to beat them , their season could very well come to a premature end .
Should they play the Storm I’d be prepared to back the winner from the other side of the drawer. Storm v Panthers will be like a gf & the winner would find it hard to backup.

Gareth67

First Grade
Should they play the Storm I’d be prepared to back the winner from the other side of the drawer. Storm v Panthers will be like a gf & the winner would find it hard to backup.

Should be a great game , but Penrith will need to put tonight’s defeat behind them to win their next match and then to go on to play against the Storm .

Still cannot go past the Storm to go all the way , tough game or not , they will still have far too much fire power for whomever they face .

Last edited:

Latest posts